I wonder about common sense at Carnival

westcruzer

Let me start off by saying I love Carnival and the value it gives to the cruising industry. The common sense of people who work at guest services amazes me though.

So I'll give you a little understanding of the situation.....

I booked a cruise with my DW and I in one room (paid in full) and 2 friends in another room for this year. I prepaid for their deposits $250 each (booked ES) on my credit card. One friend had to cancel (I found a replacement person) and since I paid for it on my card I was able to get $200 as a credit (non refundable) for a future booking for me.

Here is where common sense goes out the window.

Normal procedure would be take the $200 off the balance of the future cruise but since I paid for it in full and the $200 is non refundable I asked that the $200 just be posted as an OBC. I'm going to spend it on the cruise and my credit card is already paid off why not just leave it for the cruise.

Here is the response I got today...

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

We are in receipt of your request to transfer cruise credit, Unfortunately if the credit can not used as an onboard credit. I have applied the credit and refund your credit card the amount of $200.00 as you did paid the booking in full originally.

So my ultimate question is...... if you are going to be able to refund the money why not just take my money back and put it towards an on board credit like I asked?

Yes I know I can just take the refund and buy OBC myself but why would they not just do that to keep the money in their business?

Seems you need to bone up on ES rules, which clearly state no name changes. The $250 deposit paid for the friend that cancelled, $50 fee was kept by CCL for cancelling under ES, the remaining $200 will be applied towards a future cruise. Nowhere does it say they will refund the $200, why would you expect it as OBC? ES offers the lowest possible price on most bookings and comes with rules that must be accepted when booking ES. ADDED: I just reread the reply from CCL and afree it doesn't make sense. The $200 would be held towards future cruise, not refunded.

May not have been their call... due to specific rules and regulations for credit cards....

They have to put refund back on same card, not a "new location" (ie OBC). At least was same case regarding a cancelled tour order (I didn't believe either, but called Chase to verify, and yes, Carnival had no choice)

Seems you need to bone up on ES rules, which clearly state no name changes. The $250 deposit paid for the friend that cancelled, $50 fee was kept by CCL for cancelling under ES, the remaining $200 will be applied towards a future cruise. Nowhere does it say they will refund the $200, why would you expect it as OBC? ES offers the lowest possible price on most bookings and comes with rules that must be accepted when booking ES.

but if you read what he wrote.. they did refund it. and if they refunded it.. why not just give an OBC to keep it in Carnivals hands

but if you read what he wrote.. they did refund it. and if they refunded it.. why not just give an OBC to keep it in Carnivals hands

Yeah, I reread it and already updated my post. I've never seen or heard anything like it and wonder if he actually has received the credit back or just a confusing e-mail reply from CCL. Won't surprise me if they actually hold the $200 towards the next cruise and say "my bad" about the poorly worded e-mail he received.

***CLAPS***

Someone actually READ what I wrote.

I love how so many people only skim a post and then post someone so completely incorrect to the situation.

mondello - I am FULLY AWARE of the ES rules which is why I knew I could transfer the $200 of the $250 deposit to a future cruise since I paid for it on MY credit card.

Firefly - You can look at it this way.....I paid in full for my cruise that is in Sept 2013. Technically they could look at it as refunding $200 of the paid in full status and applying the $200 FCC. I highly doubt they went through that much thought. I'm fine with the refund and I will just buy the $200 OBC but why could they not have just done that for me without having to credit my card and recharging it?

***CLAPS***

Someone actually READ what I wrote.

I love how so many people only skim a post and then post someone so completely incorrect to the situation.

mondello - I am FULLY AWARE of the ES rules which is why I knew I could transfer the $200 of the $250 deposit to a future cruise since I paid for it on MY credit card.

Firefly - You can look at it this way.....I paid in full for my cruise that is in Sept 2013. Technically they could look at it as refunding $200 of the paid in full status and applying the $200 FCC. I highly doubt they went through that much thought. I'm fine with the refund and I will just buy the $200 OBC but why could they not have just done that for me without having to credit my card and recharging it?

The confusion is that they refunded the nonrefundable deposit. That's unheard of. Looks like someone made a mistake. Under ES rules, you should not have been refunded the deposit even though you paid for it--it should have been held by Carnival for a future cruise in your name.

So, the answer to your question as to why they couldn't have just given you OBC instead of a refund is that the person who handled your cancellation didn't know what he or she was doing!

I just received the email today so stay tuned to see if I actually get the credit to my credit card. If they decide to hold the money and put it as an OBC since my future cruise in Sept 2013 is already paid in full I'm good with that. That's all I was asking for from the beginning.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Not an expert in this area, but CCL did pay your credit card a fee. Thus when CCL puts the $200 back on your card, fee is returned to CCL.

There is a problem with your thought. If you are a business are you going to want the 3% fee credit you will get today ($6) by refunding the customer or would you rather keep the $200 that you can use for free for over a year (until I cruise in Sept 2013)? Then I am guaranteed to spend $200 when I cruise. So when I spend the $200 on board they will have made WAY more than $6 because they held on to my money and their drinks, photos and merchandise has a large profit in them.

They didnt refund the non-refundable deposit. They applied it to his booking which was paid in full. Now he has $200 excess of his own monies that are being refunded to his credit card. My question would be how can they apply it to the cruise that the deposit was generated from. It is suppose to be for a future cruise.

Dave

I just received the email today so stay tuned to see if I actually get the credit to my credit card. If they decide to hold the money and put it as an OBC since my future cruise in Sept 2013 is already paid in full I'm good with that. That's all I was asking for from the beginning.

So is this $200 from the future credit from the nonrefundable deposit .. or is it the overage when you paid in full.

I read what you wrote .. and reread it .. and you never clarified so I understand it.. sorry :(

Without trying to figure out what happened. Move to the issue with the refund. If you pay with a CC, it must be refunded on the same CC. This is not a Carnival Policy. Go refund anything at a store, and most of them will refund the return using the same method of payment, or a store credit. Yes, it makes sense to us sometimes, but sometimes, the decisions are already decided by banks. Sorry.

So is this $200 from the future credit from the nonrefundable deposit .. or is it the overage when you paid in full.

I read what you wrote .. and reread it .. and you never clarified so I understand it.. sorry :(

Fitefly - my statement earlier about people skimming a thread then posting was not to you.....

Ok let me try to clarify ....

There is a cruise booked for 2012 that my friend had to cancel. I wanted that credit transferred to my future cruise in 2013. Since I prepaid my cruise in 2013 I was just wanting OBC for my 2013 cruise which is a future cruise.

Without trying to figure out what happened. Move to the issue with the refund. If you pay with a CC, it must be refunded on the same CC. This is not a Carnival Policy. Go refund anything at a store, and most of them will refund the return using the same method of payment, or a store credit. Yes, it makes sense to us sometimes, but sometimes, the decisions are already decided by banks. Sorry.

Hmm you are confusing. I read what you said 5 times and COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU.... Wouldn't a store credit the same as an OBC?

Fitefly - my statement earlier about people skimming a thread then posting was not to you.....

There is a cruise booked for 2012 that my friend had to cancel. I wanted that credit transferred to my future cruise in 2013. Since I prepaid my cruise in 2013 I was just wanting OBC for my 2013 cruise which is a future cruise.

But you still dont say what the credit is for.. thats what I was asking. Is the credit from the future credit from the nonrefundable deposit .. OR was it from the overage you paid over and above the deposit, since you said you paid in full.

You keep just saying its a credit.. for which of the 2 above?

I get what you want, and since it comes out the same, oh well, just one of those things I guess.

Okay, so they didn't refund the nonrefundable deposit--they applied it to your future cruise and then you were over by $200 since you had already paid in full. Did I understand that correctly? If that's the case, I completely understand your frustration--I would want the same thing and would find it odd that they couldn't just apply it as OBC. I think I've got this now. :o:p

Maybe since it's two different departments they can't/won't do it that way? It often seems Carnival's left hand is totally unaware there's a right hand.

I see it as an overpayment for the cruise put back onto the credit card.

May not have been their call... due to specific rules and regulations for credit cards....

They have to put refund back on same card, not a "new location" (ie OBC). At least was same case regarding a cancelled tour order (I didn't believe either, but called Chase to verify, and yes, Carnival had no choice)

You are spot on. CCL is just protecting themself as someone who is unscrupulous could later claim a chargeback. If it went to obc they would most likely not be able to properly document and would get hit for the loss.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

and, this is a giant enterprise organization...system policy does not let them get creative with customer requests.

As simple as it sound to you to comply with your request it could of been nearly impossible for a CSR to move money from one transaction to the other. The trail of money movement wouldn't make sense to the system.

As frustrating as it is at times, its better just to play along with what they tell you can be done.

Let me start off by saying I love Carnival and the value it gives to the cruising industry. The common sense of people who work at guest services amazes me though.

So I'll give you a little understanding of the situation.....

I booked a cruise with my DW and I in one room (paid in full) and 2 friends in another room for this year. I prepaid for their deposits $250 each (booked ES) on my credit card. One friend had to cancel (I found a replacement person) and since I paid for it on my card I was able to get $200 as a credit (non refundable) for a future booking for me.

Here is where common sense goes out the window.

Normal procedure would be take the $200 off the balance of the future cruise but since I paid for it in full and the $200 is non refundable I asked that the $200 just be posted as an OBC. I'm going to spend it on the cruise and my credit card is already paid off why not just leave it for the cruise.

Here is the response I got today...

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

We are in receipt of your request to transfer cruise credit, Unfortunately if the credit can not used as an onboard credit. I have applied the credit and refund your credit card the amount of $200.00 as you did paid the booking in full originally.

So my ultimate question is...... if you are going to be able to refund the money why not just take my money back and put it towards an on board credit like I asked?

Yes I know I can just take the refund and buy OBC myself but why would they not just do that to keep the money in their business?

Simpler accounting for Carnival. They will not have the liability on their books until you actually cruise.

Archived