Asleep at the helm or Live-ish from the Pride

He pulled a nice rabbit out of a hat for me and turned something around. He also seems to actually work rather than hide in an office:D

The funny thing about Karl is that he cannot leave the Maitre'd alone to run the restaurant.

Just watch him when he is in,which will be most evenings.He spent so much time running the restauarant when he was the best Maitre'd that Seabourn ever had.

On my Legend trip last year I got him to cook Steak Diane and Crepe Suzette at the table. He was in his element back working in the restaurant again.

Tell him that you have heard about his great Flambe dishes and that you wish he could cook for you.

I think I know what the outcome might be.;)

Don't risk taking the enamel off your teeth with the inclusive Sauternes.Have a half bottle of Chateau d'yquem which should last you a couple of evenings

Edited by Mr Luxury

The funny thing about Karl is that he cannot leave the Maitre'd alone to run the restaurant.

Just watch him when he is in,which will be most evenings.He spent so much time running the restauarant when he was the best Maitre'd that Seabourn ever had.

Agree with you on that Mr Luxury! Even though he was Hotel Manager Karl was actually working in the Restaurant on one of the waiter stations when we were on the Legend last year!

Wish he had been Hotel Manager on our Pride cruise in May. Ours was useless...

On my Legend trip last year I got him to cook Steak Diane and Crepe Suzette at the table. He was in his element back working in the restaurant again.

Tell him that you have heard about his great Flambe dishes and that you wish he could cook for you.

I think I know what the outcome might be.;)

Don't risk taking the enamel off your teeth with the inclusive Sauternes.Have a half bottle of Chateau d'yquem which should last you a couple of evenings

He found another rabbit, this time in the form of Stoli Elit which ground side couldn't. Though his ideas to mix it with rebull :eek: I will definitely ask for the flambe dishes once Im through the vacation grinder I've set for myself in St. Petersburg. This has made me wonder why so much time in Ronne and so little in Tallinn (btw - if you can go shopping with the chef and you can find one as knowledgeable and enthusiastic as Jes, go for it)

Edited by baychilla
o ! = y

Baychilla just because ;) are you female or male? from most of your posts I got the impression, girly, then I noticed the smoking comment, blowing cigar smoke into the wind to annoy a persistant cigar smoker.

Oops, perhaps more commentary on the local eye candy in greyhound skirts:D Male.

Day 7 St. Petersburg, Russian Federation

Should’ve know there’d be something going on. Seems this day (or will it be this week) is an “Air Forces” (tbh I’m thinking airborne judging by the logos on the flag and questionable taste in transportation, no pilot would be caught dead in/on some of those things.) I guess in Moscow they have to turn off public fountains as the celebrants have a propensity for swimming and doing other things in them. I’ll see tomorrow. First Hermitage tour was enlightening in more ways than one. The ship tour (Even after its late start thanks fellow pax!) got started before an Alla and some other private company I forget the name of. Our line was in the 1 minute range as we had to let an RCCI tour ahead of us. The Hermitage does something interesting. It assigns each guide a route to minimize congestion. You don’t go A – B – C, you may go B – C – A or C – A – B etc… It is hot, and they do seem to suffer a shortage of WCs (thankfully even in the public parks these are marked WC perhaps that’s the same in Cyrillic?). There were two different ones, both alas on the ground floor. The Gold room then Katherine’s palace await this evening followed by an 0 dark thirty rise for a Russian bullet train to Moscow.

Restaurant – Resort casual

First:

Gingered Shrimp Roll, seaweed salad, grilled scallion

Layered herb marinated goat cheese flan, fresh tomato, presto(sic?) dressing

Crisp codfish-potato brandade cake, composed tomatoes

Yukon gold potato & chorizo potage, braised escarole

Chilled corn & lemongrass soup, lobster salad, spicy shrimp oil

Baby red romaine with caesar style vinaigrette, garlic croutons, parmesan cheese

Baby field greens with smoked salmon, poached egg, crisp potatoes, horseradish dill (from our shopping trip yesterday perhaps?) vinaigrette

Main:

Pan roasted fresh salmon from Tallin (sic) market (ok this was definitely from our trip and iirc salmon prices correctly a steal), arugula scented basmati rice, ratatouille, yellow tomato coulis (when will we see the yellow raspberries?)

Seared scallops, homemade fettuccine, green vegetables, pommery mustard cream

Pan sautéed pork tenderloin, green apple coulis, braised red cabbage, roast potatoes, Madeira sauce

English cut roast beef, sautéed vegetables, truffled duchesse potatoes, jus natural

Vegetarian – Crisp polenta & mushroom cake, creamy leek stew and tomato fondue

R2 “Russian”

Starters:

Salad Oliver, lobster, potatoes, olives, eggs, carrots, peas

Or

Kamchatka crab cake on tartar sauce

Soup:

Borsch, black bread croutons

Or

Baltic salad, pickled herring and herb yogurt dressing

Mains:

Baked fresh salmon a la Moscow, sautéed spinach, vodka sauce

Or

Beef stroganoff, strips of beef tenderloin, pickled cucumber, new potatoes, mushroom sauce, sour cream

Desert

Strawberry Romanoff

Or

Lemon Pavlova

0800 Arrival – need immigration form and passport

0800 Fitness class – the club

1000 Crossword – library

1000 Unhosted bridge – card room

1400 Unhosted bridge – card room

1500 Board games – Constellation lounge

1600 Afternoon tea – Constellation lounge

1830 Club cockatils – Sam Dunn guitarist – the club

2130 Club melodies – Romantics – the club

2145 Local Russian show – Magellan

2230 Entertainment continues - club

It is very nice to see that R2 is serving themed dinners related to at least some of the cruise's destinations. I would like to try one of everything on the "Russian" dinner menu!! :D

Edited by Jassy

>"... I am enjoying that slightly masochistic activity of 'choosing my dinner' when the reality is somewhat less glamorous."

I have often remarked that when I tear off the plastic on the Lean Cuisine and mutter to myself, 'et voila', it does not have the same cachet as when it's done by the waiter on Seabourn. Even counting un, deux, trois doesn't help.

>"... I am enjoying that slightly masochistic activity of 'choosing my dinner' when the reality is somewhat less glamorous."

I have often remarked that when I tear off the plastic on the Lean Cuisine and mutter to myself, 'et voila', it does not have the same cachet as when it's done by the waiter on Seabourn. Even counting un, deux, trois doesn't help.

Ahhh so true...

Fortunately for us we will be enjoying the good food and service in in about 6 weeks.

Getting things ready now as we leave in about two weeks for a driving trip including a week's stay in a country cottage in NE France before heading to England and the Sojourn.

Really enjoying the thread!

It is very nice to see that R2 is serving themed dinners related to at least some of the cruise's destinations. I would like to try one of everything on the "Russian" dinner menu!! :D

I'm with you Jackie!

Host Dan

If you want appropriately themed dinners, Id recommend covering only some of your bets ;)

Day 8 ST. Petersburg

Z0mG! I survived 2 day tours + 1 evening tour in St. Petersburg. I should get a medal or 6 especially since I “volunteered” to see Moscow. Cut me some breaks or something ;)

Apologize for menus from now on, but I guess some randomness doesn’t hurt

Restaurant – Resort Casual

First:

Seared rare sashimi tuna (leftover from the 1st?), spicy ponzu, pickled ginger

Grilled vegetable & mozzarella, herb infused virgin olive oils, balsamic syrup

Mustard crusted veal sweetbreads with almond & lentil salad, warm bacon vinaigrette

Double beef consommé, tiny (their descriptor) duck confit cannelloni, roasted shallot pearls (some cartoons would have a word with this…)

Creamless celery root soup, black truffles

Mizuna salad with fava beans, pecorino Romano cheese, pesto dressing (Sure you wouldn’t want liver with a side of fava beans and a glass of Chianti Dr. Lecter?)

Fennel, tomato & cucumber, balsamic dressing

Main:

Pan sautéed swordfish, olive oil laced fingerling potatoes

Butter poached shrimp, chorizo saffron risotto (confusion of flavors oh hai!) tomato marmalade

Roasted chicken, forrest mushroom filling, vegetable fettuccine, morel demi-glace (sounds like the morels we got in Tallinn, pity ill be in Moscow)

Grilled ribeye steak, rosemary infused boulangere (er isn’t that a traditional bakery, not meat/veg roastery??) grilled vegetable lasagna (honorable mention as a leftover from lastnight) peppercorn sauce

Vegetarian – Crisp tofu & roasted squash, mascarpone risotto, micro greens

R2 “Indian Spice Market”

Starters:

Potato & chickpea tikki, tamarind, & fresh yogurt sauce

Or

Chicken Kebab Masala, Kuchumber (er ok), green chutney

Soup/Salad:

Mulligatawny, curried chicken soup, paneer samosa

Or

Asinan (sic and I REALLY MEAN SIC) – shrimp, fruit & vegetable salad, peanut dressing

Mains:

Malabar Jhinga – lightly spiced coconut shrimp cury, lemony basmati rice

Or

Beef Chettinard, saffron pulao rice, papadums

Deserts:

Oven baked yogurt, berry compote

Or

Roasted pineapple, pistachio kulfi, rice crisp

0800 Fitness class – club

1000 Crossword – library

1100 unhosted bridge – cardroom

1100 unhosted chess – Constellation lounge

1400 Unhosted brige – card room

1500 Board games – Constellation lounge

1800 Sabbath service – card room

1830 Club cocktails – Seabreeze – the club

2130 Club melodies – Seabreeze ( till 2200) – the club

2145 Popcorn movie – “The iron lady” – Magellan lounge

2230 Dance Melodies – Seabreeze – the club

To those just reading this for the first time due to word of mouth on board, Hello there! The cruise for the most part ( as your probably know) is great. There are however a few things that well, Im opinionated ;) For future cruisers, what I've done (3 tours in St. Petes in one day + Moscow the next day I DO NOT RECOMMEND) OTOH the Eveninging @ Ekaterinas palace is FAR better than some message boards may indicate (so long as you can appreciate classical)

Big sisters have a seperate restaurant2 which does it's own set tasting menus. They do occasionaly change.

I think the food is very good and often dine here during a trip.

If you are a plain meat and potatoes kind of person,then you may not be used to or like what is offered.

Big sisters have a seperate restaurant2 which does it's own set tasting menus. They do occasionaly change.

Our experience on 14 day cruises has been the tasting menu usually runs one week with a different menu the second. Last time out - Quest in April - the tasting menu alternated with a set menu every other night. The set menus were a regular 3/4 courses as in the MDR but with very limited choice between plates - sort of table d'hote. Gave the chef the chance to experiment with some of their own ideas instead of being stuck with the Charlie Palmer formula.

Also R2 meant a smaller number to cater compared to MDR so experimentation and dishes requiring to be cooked at the last minute could be tackled. We quite enjoyed. We were told it was being trialled and may be rolled out in the future.

Interested to hear what happens on your cruise later on - enjoy.

I think Palmer and Seabourn have already parted company.

They definitely have, but his imprint remains, in that other pax have been even far more vocal than I in asking the chefs be unleashed to use fresh local ingredients.

Day 9, 4 Aug , St. Petersburg, RF

3 days of insanity in St. Petersburg. I think next time I’d pop for a visa and take a day or two on my own (of course that’s after having crammed a normal Hermitage tour, a Gold/Diamon room tour, an Evening @ Catherine’s place, a day longer trip to Moscow and a trip to the Peterhoff gardens into 3 days!). The biggest glitch was my pro/prosumer weather-proofed camera seems to have mostly given up the ghost. I can still use it on 1d-10T mode, but otherwise there’s some screwy light issues and blowout issues. When I checked the interior there was no water so I’m not sure what got damaged (ergo no “best” solution to dry it out /qq – Might be relegated to iPhone + Camera Awesome for Helsinki, Stockholm and Sassnitz).

Random thought: If you’re on a tour that uses those tour/radio headsets where you listen to your guide, please 1. keep up – yes you do you miss things if you’re too far away and 2. Pay attention having the 10th person ask the same asked/answered question is grating to say the least.

Mumbles something about not being able to use the good camera for the champagne/caviar sail away from St. Petersburg

Restaurant – Resort casual

First:

Crab & Asparagus Napoleon, caviar cream, preserved lemon

Eggplant Relish and Hummus, roasted pepers, crostini, tomato oil

Oven baked duck spring roll (lets see how this “spring roll” works out, not holding my breath), chili spiced vegetable salad, oriental dipping sauce

Double chicken consommé, green peas, truffle and chicken salad (in a soup I HAVE to see this)

White bean potage, smoked bacon, escarole, garlic croutons

Three pea salad, red wine dressing

Citrus marinated hearts of palm, carrot purree and artichoke chips

Main:

Pan fried dover sole, on or off the bone, lemon caper butter, young spinach, new potatoes

Sauteed lobster, shrimp & calamari, basil risotto, semi dried tomato coulis

Oven roasted capon “saltimbocca” with sweet garlic (why does a non duck poultry dish have a raw/undercooked warning, even capon needs to just be cooked IIRC), broccoli and crisp potatoes

Grilled filet mignon, roasted morels (gee from Tallinn:confused: ), parmesan flan, sweet peas (Tallinn strikes back – actually spotting what was purchased on tour is kind of like a textual/foodie “Where’s Waldo”)

Vegetarian – Spinach & corn fritters, sautéed spiced greens, oriental stir fry sauce

R2 “Tasting” (yet a different one)

Chef’s cocktail: grilled octopus ceviche, fennel salad, lemon grape juice

Plate 2:

Lobster corn dog, truffle sauce (sorry Ill be missing this, curse you reservation system!)

Crisp lamb kofta, sun dried tomato coulis

Chicken brick parcel, mustard dip

Plate 3:

Butternut squash presse, foie gras sandwich (!!!!!)

Salsify & apple cappuccino, mushroom crostini

Plate 4:

Roasted salmon in sake ginger brine, melted couscous

Orange soy duck, artichoke tart tatin, quince puree, prosciutto sauce (might be some sauce robbery going on)

Florentine & pumpkin nougatine, banana toffee, bourbon ice cream

1000 Crossword – library

1000 Board games & puzzles – Constellation lounge

1100 Unhosted bridge – card room

1400 Unhosted chess – Constellation lounge

1600 Afternoon Tea – Constellation lounge

1645 Caviar sailaway – on deck (8s best!

1700 Sail away – out for Finland, BBL

1830 Speaker series – Dr. Crimes – Stockholm – Magellan lounge

1830 Club cocktails – the club

2130 Club melodies – Romantics – the club

2145 Showtime – Violinist Chris Watkins – Magellan

2145 Guitar melodies – till 2300 – Constellation

2230 Romantic melodies – Romantics – the club

2315 Dance melodies till 0015 – Seabreeze – club

0015? Entertainment continues – Romantics – club

We gain 1 hour YAY SLEEP

Follow up from St. Petersburg/Moscow Insanity tours:

I was offered a chance to dine in the Skygrill tonight (first time in cruise IIRC). Finally saw/had those Nigerian shrimp things (if you guessed Surf n Turf please collect your no-prize!). While the size and texture might have been lobster-like to me the flavor was nowhere near say Maine lobster. It might be rock lobster or Australian lobster-esque but being on an American on a luxury line I'm looking to the clean crisp fresh taste you get from Maine. I was given the Skygrill dining offer from Leoni (sp?) who throughout the meal (I then got a specific table invite from others) tried to make sure we had a 110% dining experience. The disembarkation questionnaire is sickly hilarious (price wise). Im trying to get times/prices for a taxi to then from the Absolut ice bar in Stockholm as I've found another couple who are interested. Pity the shoreside destination guy wasn't accurate with Seabourn still offering this tour. Ah well, probably more money in my pocket @ EOD.

Funny thing, about 25+ minutes outside of port/center of town we passed where the Celebrity/Princess ships were docked. Ouch.

Day 10 5 August Helsinki, Fi

Nice day a bit cooler than St. Petersburg, some clouds but nothing like rain. Going for a lazy bus tour + a whole 4 block walk (2 each way) to see the Rock Church. On the way back people who asked to get let off at the local market seem for the most part of have then immediately returned to the ship. Interesting. For those keeping track as a single traveler I have had 4 hosted table invites to date: Captain, CD, ACD and Security Officer.

Restaurant – elegant casual Chefs Tasting Menu (eg: no special requests for flambéed foods)

Lime marinated salmon, with avocado and green chili, bake(sic) garlic and lime mayonnaise

White tomato veloute, basil foam

Seared sea scallop, sauce vierge and wild mushroom ragout

Elderflower sorbet, champagne splash

Pan fried torbut(SIC), truffle risotto, citrus butter sauce

OR

Grilled tenderloin of sterling beef & seared foie gras (yay!), chanterelle mushrooms, fondant potatoes, baked beetroot jus

Arbolida’s chocolate tower, marinated berries

Chocolate Baileys truffles

Vegetarian alternative – Swiss chard ricotta ravioli, toasted pine nuts, golden brown butter, basil essence

R2 “Trattoria” (tomorrow is the Deck “BBQ” as such R2 will be closed)

Starters:

Seared beef carpaccio (is it really carpaccio if seared or is it then really tataki?), pickled artichokes, pesto, citrus dressing

Or

Warm ricotta & potato ravioli, truffle butter

Soup/Salad:

Classic Minestrone, prosciutto, tiny pasta, tapenade crostini

Or

Arugula lettuce, crisp shallots, balsamic vinaigrette

Mains:

Swordfish steak Sicilian style with chili, capers & olives, basil & lobster gnocchi

Or

Slow Roasted Osso Bucco, porcini Risotto, red wine sauce (since R2 is mostly premade, why can’t I get it for room service?)

Deserts:

Tiramisu, raspberries, almond brittle

Or

Strawberries, mascarpone ice cream, orange biscotti

0800 Arrival in Helsinki

0800 Fitness class – club

1000 Crossword – library

1015 Emergency drill – crew only

1630 Be here or er All aboard!

1700 Departure (no pier runners/taxi arrivals today)

1830 Club cocktails – club

2130 Club melodies – Romantics – club

2145 Showtime tribute to idols/icons – Rachel Vago

2230 Romantic melodies – Romantics (until 2315) - club

2315 Dance melodies – Seabreeze (until 0015) club

Day 11 6 August Mariehamm – Resort casual

Restaurant –

First

Homemade salmon gravlax with miche crouton, crisp onions, yuzu crème fraiche, dill foam

Grilled figs, crisp pastry, prosciutto & Roquefort cheese

Balsamic glazed pear & gorgonzola tartlet, spicy greens

Bouillabaisse consommé, poached mussels, fish, fennel confit, basil oil

Roasted garlic & potato soup, rosemary croutons, crunchy pancetta

Tossed butter leaf lettuce, haricots verts, mushrooms, sherry and shallot dressing

Chilled orecchiette pasta, marinated beans, pesto and ricotta salata

Mains

Crisp Codfish with friffled spaghetti squash, butternut squash and greens

Pan sautéed sea scallops, corn & scallion risotto, green asparagus, roasted sweet pepper puree

Slow roasted rack of veal, vegetable – crushed potato, sautéed green beans, calvados morel sauce

Grilled sirloin steak with braised beef confit, lyonnaise potatoes, sweet garlic and shiitake demi glace

Vegetarian – Three cheese tortellini, corn puree, herb oil

R2 – CLOSED

Rock the Boat BBQ (BBQ outside featuring loads of Nigerian shrimp + other stuff and Rock ‘n Roll inside thanks to rain). I suppose I should take this opportunity to thank my fellow cruisers for not recognizing the best part of a pig and leaving that stuff to me! Also the most common comment today was “got on bus, walked around town, returned to ship”. If you’re looking for say authentic seafood and beer type places here don’t. There were a plethora of Ice Cream parlors and Pizzerias here and not much else.

Lunch today was a special order ahead in the restaurant. Steak tartar (beef had far too much connective tissue), steak Diane (more please, this could have been the best I’ve had tho I haven’t had it in 10+ years) and Crepes Suzette (it was good, but order a double, you only get 2 crepes).

0900 Beginners bridge – card room

0930 Tour talk Sassnitz – Magellan lounge

1000 Crossword – library

1000 Intermediate bridge – library

1200 Arrive in second most pointless port er Mariehamm (please ditch this & Ronne in favor of more time in Tallinn and other ports)

1200 Hospitality & information service – pier side till 1300

1230 Shuttle service begins – every 30min, last back 1845

1600 Afternoon Tea – constellation lounge

1830 Club cocktails – Romantics – club

1930 All board (be here or be left in boringhamm!)

1930-2100 Deck BBQ* (no real BBQ enthusiast would mistake this for BBQ but the suckling pig was nice)

2000 Departure from boringhamm

2100 Rock the boat (moved to club due to weather being weather)

2130 Movie: Wanderlust – Magellan lounge

2230 Romantic melodies – Romantics – club

2315 Dance melodies – Seabreeze - club

steak Diane (more please, this could have been the best I’ve had tho I haven’t had it in 10+ years) and Crepes Suzette (it was good, but order a double, you only get 2 crepes).

Well known guests get four crepes each :p

steak Diane (more please, this could have been the best I’ve had tho I haven’t had it in 10+ years) and Crepes Suzette (it was good, but order a double, you only get 2 crepes).

Well known guests get four crepes each :p

I think we have one of those on board, IIRC shes near Mrs. Witsky(sp) in number of days sailed and gets invites to the crew bar and other perks.

Day 12 7 Aug Stockholm, Sv

Elegant casual

Restaurant

Starters:

Cured artic(sic) trout with cucumber, fingerling & red onion salad, country mustard vinaigrette

Slow roasted baby beets with buffalo mozzarella, port wine dressing

Escargots a la bourguignon, snails in a Burgundy reduction baked in herb butter

Vegetable soup, fresh herb pesto, tiny pasta

Tomato cream soup, polenta croutons, three pepper cream

Mache & endives, seasonal herbs, citrus vinaigrette

Tossed celery root & apples, simple guacamole, lemon cilantro dressing

Mains:

Pan fried local fresh white fish from Mariehamn market, in saffron and fennel broth, thyme roasted tomatoes, basil oil

Grilled jumbo shrimp with tamarind glaze, warm vegetable julienne and glass noodle salad

Duck a l’orange, almond croquettes, braised red cabbage, Brussels sprouts, orange glaze

Tournedo Rossini, sautéed foie gras

Vegetarian – truffled vegetables “en croute” herbed phyllo crisp

R2 “French Bistro”

Starters:

Mousseline of foie gras, quince compoted, toasted brioche

OR

Escargots a la bourguignon, snails in a Burgundy reduction baked in herb butter

Soup/Salad:

Lobster bisque, lobster salad, shellfish crisp, chervil cream

Or

Mesclun, crisp bacon, walnuts, goat cheese, raspberry vinaigrette

Mains:

Sauteed sea bass nicoise style, tomato-lemon confit, crunchy caper berries

Or

Provencal grilled lamb chops, roasted vegetables, potato gratin, rosemary jus

Deserts:

Melted warm chocolate ganache cake, vanilla Chantilly, brandy ice cream

Or

Roasted peaches, frozen yogurt, almond crisp

0800 Arrive in Stockholm

0830 Hospitality desk (don’t blink or you’ll miss it)

1000 Crossword – library

1000 Board games – Constellation lounge

1100 Unhosted bridge – card room

1730 All aboard

1745 Sail away party – Sky bar

1800 Departure

1830 Club cocktails – club

1830 Early showtime – Romantics – Magellan lounge

2130 Club melodies – Sam Dunn – club

2145 Showtime fantastic flying fingers of Stephen Lane – Magellan lounge

2230 Romantic melodies - romantics – club

2315 Dance melodies – Seabreeze – club

The ice bar was definitely different (we ended up walking there and back about 30min each way – after other pax got a 600 kroner 10 min cab ride o.O) Mostly touristy but at least I can say I’ve been in an ice bar and had a drink from a giant drilled out ice cube. The most surprising thing were the number of stroller aged children inside.

I think we have one of those on board, IIRC shes near Mrs. Witsky(sp) in number of days sailed and gets invites to the crew bar and other perks.

quote]

Maybe she is a very interesting and entertaining person.

Edited by electra2008