First Timer...

bks1982

Leaving for our first cruise next Saturday! Any advice or tips you can give would be much appreciated!

We're traveling with my parents, DH's parents, my sister, bonus kids (stepsons) 13 & 11, and our first baby together (7 months). We've told the boys that there are security cameras on the ship and if they're caught running or doing anything inappropriate we'll be forced to leave the ship at the next port and we'll be forced to fly back home. :p

I will say I find it ridiculous that our baby costs more than our 13 yr old.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Which ship? What's the itinerary?

That way others can give you more detailed tips.

Also, you can post in the Family section if you want any specific kid/ baby tips... or in the speciifc ports section, .i.e., Mexican Riviera. Those regional boards are usually followed by area experts that also volunteer for tripadvisor and other websites.

My two cents... we like Anytime Dining instead of set time dining as we have kids that are predictably very unpredictable.

Have a great time!

Hope you have a great cruise.

Which ship? What's the itinerary?

That way others can give you more detailed tips.

Also, you can post in the Family section if you want any specific kid/ baby tips... or in the speciifc ports section, .i.e., Mexican Riviera. Those regional boards are usually followed by area experts that also volunteer for tripadvisor and other websites.

My two cents... we like Anytime Dining instead of set time dining as we have kids that are predictably very unpredictable.

Have a great time!

Aaaaah! We leave August 4th - Valor - Antigua, Tortola, St. Thomas, & Nassau Bahamas. 8 Day Eastern Caribbean cruise.

My Dad did schedule us all for anytime dining. Thanks for the great advice!

Wear watershoes or flip flops when on the slide. The slide itself is fine, but when you're walking up the steps to the slide the black sandpaper on the steps will burn the H*LL out of your feet. I was in the Caribbean in early April and we learned the hard way. Even taking 2 at a time still left temporary blisters on my feet. So, from then on I carried my flip flops on the slide and wore them back up to the top to go again.

Have a fantastic cruise!!! :)

Get the kids in to the camp, and learn to relax during your cruise. Make sure that you check out the Fun Times each day, no you don't have to do it all, but you can see what your choices are to do. And let the crew pamper you, there's nothing nicer than being taken care of, Cruise Happy!:)

Aaaaah! We leave August 4th - Valor - Antigua, Tortola, St. Thomas, & Nassau Bahamas. 8 Day Eastern Caribbean cruise.

My Dad did schedule us all for anytime dining. Thanks for the great advice!

with that many people I would have taken traditional dining. There is VERY limited amount of tables for 8 people.

we were a party of 8. Since we wanted to sit together the head guy told us to be one of the first in line by 5:45.

One night we were 10 mintutes late and got stuck in two booths instead of a table.

Most tables are for 4 with the few across the back for 8 and they go quickly.

With your teens-- the kids programs start at 7pm-- and closed at 5pm.

and the first night meeting is SUPER IMPORTANT for them

On the bright side-- you will not be charged tips for kids under 2.

My advice is - don't listen to anyone else's horror stories. Just go and have a great time. Your experience is your experience, not a carbon copy of anyone else's. Go with the attitude that you're going to have a good time....and you will.

Have fun!

We did this same itinerary on Freedom last yr and had a fabulous time! We also chose anytime dining and enjoyed it! A few waits at times, but nothing too bad. We dined a lot during non-peak times.

Have a wonderful cruise - cant wait to hear how you enjoyed it :) happy cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always like to tell first-timers to carry on anything you might need or want the first day/night. It might take a while to receive your luggage. Even though it usually comes quickly I have had my luggage arrive after dinner. I always remember this poor guy in the hallway looking totally lost that looked up at me as I walked by and asked me when we would get our luggage. It was early at that point and I told him that it might be a while. He said that he checked everything with the porters. I felt so bad for him.

Remember that adults can order a banana split off the children's menu!

Love the banana splits! It's fun when you order one and the other people at the table find out they can order one. You end up with a table full of adults enjoying banana splits. :D

What's a serving of WCMC? My husband always teases me because I like "Fancy shmancy healthy foods!" I looked through some of the menus for this cruise line and my mouth was watering. I can't wait to eat all the great food and get a week off from cooking! I plan on relaxing, and just enjoying all the locations...soaking everything in. I don't need all the fancy excursions! Just give me a beautiful beach and I'm in heaven.

Thanks so much for all your great tips! <3

What's a serving of WCMC? My husband always teases me because I like "Fancy shmancy healthy foods!" I looked through some of the menus for this cruise line and my mouth was watering. I can't wait to eat all the great food and get a week off from cooking! I plan on relaxing, and just enjoying all the locations...soaking everything in. I don't need all the fancy excursions! Just give me a beautiful beach and I'm in heaven.

Thanks so much for all your great tips! <3

Sorry WCMC= Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

Have a great time on your cruise. The Valor was my favorite Carnival ship

OK, so that Valor was a nightmare for me. Only because on certain decks you can't get from forward to aft on some decks. I think if I remember right deck 5 you can get from front to back. With anytime dining you may not need to get to deck 3 or 4 (sorry don't remember without looking it up) but you may be seated up in the upstairs dining with anytime. If not, you can't get into the aft dining room bottom floor without taking the elevator.

OK, that aside, I think there were fish and chips in an upper area in the buffet (it has been a long time so maybe not anymore).

In Nassau, there is a zoo with flamingos that march together. You can take the #10 jitney and get off in front of the fish fry and head up the hill. At the fish fry you can get authentic bahaman food but with kids know they are on island time and the meal will take a long time. There is a public beach, Junkanoo, if you go right from the ship and continue around the Sheraton. You can rent beach chairs and umbrellas. Hope you have visited the port boards.

Have a great time!!!!:p

Archived