upgrade

hawkeye3d

I know that the upgrade fairy works in ways not understood by mortal man, but how late in the process does this critter strike. We’ve 46 days to go. Does the fairy strike that close, or closer, to sail away ?? :confused:

I know that the upgrade fairy works in ways not understood by mortal man, but how late in the process does this critter strike. We’ve 46 days to go. Does the fairy strike that close, or closer, to sail away ?? :confused:
Free upgrades on guarantees happen at the time of cabin assignment - 21 days to 0 days out. Paid upgrade offers (aka upsells) start about 4 or 5 weeks out I think. We've only had one of those, so I'm not sure.

Once we got one assignment/upgrade 11 days out and a re-assignment further upgrade 3 days out.

Normally she strikes closer to sail away. Between 2 to 3 weeks out. Your just a little early thinking about upgrades at 46 days.

On the one cruise we were upgraded, we were never contacted for an upsell. The upgrade happened 2 days before the cruise.

:)

We have almost always booked a guarantee and have in most cases received an upgrade a couple weeks prior to sailing. This year, for the first time, on our cruise/tour (Zaandam), we were offered an upsell also about two weeks out. For $299 per person, we upgraded from a partially obstructed outside to AA a verandah, we went with it but now the problem is that I will always want a verandah.

That's for a b2b or Collector's, isn't it? Those are different.

That's correct, a back-to-back with 2 booking numbers.

Not so different, however. We have been assigned on b-b and Collectors at 18, 16, 15, 14, 11, 9, 7, 4, 3 and 2 days out. Much like a regular cruise.

The current cruise seems to be very well booked, but that has never stopped HAL before from waiting and waiting to assign!

Is there a way to encourage the upgrade fairy to visit? Booking through an agent or through HAL or calling and asking or just being patient? I want a visit too.

One time we never got one because we were connected to another cruising couple with next door rooms. Last time we were offered an upsell for $50 from an MM to a D through a travel agent. We were very happy. This time we booked through HAL and I was told they would call if there was a chance.

Is there a way to encourage the upgrade fairy to visit? Booking through an agent or through HAL or calling and asking or just being patient? I want a visit too.

One time we never got one because we were connected to another cruising couple with next door rooms. Last time we were offered an upsell for $50 from an MM to a D through a travel agent. We were very happy. This time we booked through HAL and I was told they would call if there was a chance.

There is a confusion concerning 'upgrades" and "assignments". Which are you asking about?

If you want an upgrade, book a guarentee. If you choose your stateroom, it is highly unlikely that you will be upgraded, even if you mark that you will accept an upgrade.

Pay a lot on a guarantee and you will almost for sure get an upgrade.

Upsells are completely different and you can ask your TA to alert you if an offer comes in or ask the TA to ask HAL if anything is available.

There is a confusion concerning 'upgrades" and "assignments". Which are you asking about?

If you want an upgrade, book a guarentee. If you choose your stateroom, it is highly unlikely that you will be upgraded, even if you mark that you will accept an upgrade.

Pay a lot on a guarantee and you will almost for sure get an upgrade.

Upsells are completely different and you can ask your TA to alert you if an offer comes in or ask the TA to ask HAL if anything is available.

Not true. The only upgrade we've had we selected a specific room. Two days before sailing we were upgraded, went from a G partially obstructed room to a VB verandah.

:)

Do you think if we knew a secret like that we would tell it? :D

Not true. The only upgrade we've had we selected a specific room.
That happens sometimes, but you're FAR more likely to get an upgrade by booking a guarantee. We've done 8 guarantees and 6 specific cabins. We've gotten free upgrades on all the guarantees, and just one upsell offer on the 6 chosen cabins.

That happens sometimes, but you're FAR more likely to get an upgrade by booking a guarantee. We've done 8 guarantees and 6 specific cabins. We've gotten free upgrades on all the guarantees, and just one upsell offer on the 6 chosen cabins.

Much more likey to be assigned an upgrade on a guarentee than on a specific acbin choice.

"Shmoo here" -- congratulations on that super upgrade! They must really like you!!!

Archived