Deluxe Ocean View Cabins on Sapphire and Diamond

geoherb

We just got upgraded to a Cat. CC deluxe ocean view cabin on our upcoming Sapphire Princess cruise. I looked through some old posts, and they seemed to suggest that the cabin steward would keep the door to the balcony locked except when the ship was in port during the day time. The Princess website, however, says in its description that "While the room features a balcony, it is only permitted during the daytime due to navigational reasons." (I understand that there's no furniture because of the winds.)

Does anyone know if the website description is correct or is recent experience more in line with what people were reporting here five years ago--that the door would only be unlocked while in port?

P.S. I know a lot of folks would not like this location at the front of the ship due to motion. We had a similarly located cabin on the Sun Princess (except that one was an inside). I loved the motion of the ocean. We were fortunate to get some great waves on that cruise.

We had one of these cabins on the Diamond and it was a great location.

Yes, only unlocked while in port.

And in the evening and night, you must keep the curtains totally closed so that light from the cabin does not interfere with the navigation on the bridge as they need total darkness on the ship itself when they look forward.

• 2 weeks later...

We were lucky that on our cruise the cabin steward did not lock the door. We could use the balcony anytime. He did let us know to keep the curtains closed (or the lights out) if we used it after dark. I had a great view of the stars on the last night of our cruise.

We were lucky that on our cruise the cabin steward did not lock the door. We could use the balcony anytime. He did let us know to keep the curtains closed (or the lights out) if we used it after dark. I had a great view of the stars on the last night of our cruise.

You were very lucky. That sounds amazing!:)

Can anyone post some photos of these cabins?

We are looking at an ocean view, one with the same bed layout as a balcony cabin.

Any upgrade would be to a balcony, EXCEPT for these cabins.

And, I am thinking that, more often than not, upgrades are the way that they fill these cabins.

Geoherb, how was the motion, up there forward?

How did it feel being up there, forward facing?

Assuming you can look out, and see the bow of the ship.

Geoherb, how was the motion, up there forward?

How did it feel being up there, forward facing?

Assuming you can look out, and see the bow of the ship.

The motion wasn't bad. I only felt it one night. But the Inside Passage cruises are usually fairly calm. I'm sure it would have been a lot more motion in rougher seas like we had when we were on the Sun Princess in an inside cabin at the front of the ship.

We loved the forward facing balcony. It's basically the same view as the ship cam. It overlooks the crew pool and hot tubs, but we did not see anyone ever use them. I've attached a small photo that sort of shows the bow of the ship and the balcony without any furniture.

temp.jpg.a9c3dba47565b77887bcac21429a02db.jpg

Archived