California Coastal Spring 2013 Sapphire

EatPrayCruise

Hi all and thanks in advance for any advice, tips etc. that you can offer. I spent many hours yesterday searching the boards for help on booking a roundtrip coastal out of LA on the Sapphire for next spring.

I've read about the wonderful true aft balcony staterooms that are, of course, already taken and no longer available at this time. I've read about the super balcony rooms on Caribe. We are looking for really far forward or aft balcony or mini suites since we love to walk off the pounds on the way to/from Horizon Court, etc. and don't want to be anywhere near an elevator or stairway if we can help it. I know, you're all shaking your heads thinking that we are hard to please, but we really aren't. We've sailed the Coral and Island in the same room C727 and loved it - it was the last room on Caribe Starboard side.

So, the problem being that online, there aren't many balcony or mini suites available for the spring 2013 coastal cruises at this point, what rooms did YOU have on the Sapphire and why would you rebook them? Maybe you'll open our eyes to something that we haven't even heard about yet. Or, maybe you have tips on how to "unlock" these rooms if they are held for some reason for "special travel agents" or whatever....by finding the T.A. that holds the key!

We usually book with our local T.A. and I'm waiting to hear back regarding setting up an appt. with her.

Thanks in advance!

Sue

I see no responses to your question yet.

While I doubt I can respond directly to the questions posed, I will tell you what I am thinking.

We have been on the Sapphire some years ago, went from San Francisco to Mexico RT, don't recall what cabin. We generally book a mini or balcony cabin, forward.

Given your situation I would recommend you ask what cabins are available in categories of interest, then select the best one, checking what is above or below the cabin to avoid noise, i.e., from theatre, gym pool deck or some other public venue.

We booked a couple years ago, late on the Sea Princess. At the time no balconies available, so we booked an ocean view. Actually enjoyed it just as much, it was also on a Mexico trip. The truth is the weather is not that warm going on sea days from SF to Mexico, so don't really need a balcony. I mention this because I see you are planning a spring California coastal. Weather wise, it generally is not that warm along the California coast in the spring. Sometimes we get spring rains as well. So even though you are interested in a balcony or mini, weather wise an ocean view may be just as good.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. You've hit on many of our thoughts already. Great minds... In regards to the weather, we are from Michigan and on both of our cruises to Alaska, we spent most of our time on the balcony of our mini suite than we did in our room, believe it or not, lol! We are pretty used to the cold and just dressed accordingly.

Anyway, I've been in contact with our TA and I'll see what she comes up with. I guess we have learned the that coastal cruises sell fast and will keep that in mind for future bookings.

Sue

So, the problem being that online, there aren't many balcony or mini suites available for the spring 2013 coastal cruises at this point

If you are seeing five or less cabins available when you look online, then that is all there are in that category.

If you see six cabins, there might be more because they list a maximum of six even if many more are available.

You can also input an individual cabin number to see if it is available.

Thank you for that info. I had discovered that a short time ago while reading another thread. I'm finding six cabins listed usually, so I'm guessing that I'm seeing the six "best" that are available.

I'll speak with my travel agent tomorrow and possibly call Princess as well.

Thanks again.

Sue

I'm booked on the Sapphire Oct 6 2012 and again April 6 2013. I took a GTY mini suite category AD for Oct and got assigned Emerald 731 the aft wrap around balcony. I took an AD GTY for April and have not been assigned a cabin. I think most assignments on his literary come after final payment. This will be our fourth time on the Sapphire up the west coast so that's been our experience. If someone calls Princess and demands our mini I hope they bump us up to a full suite :D

I'm guessing that I'm seeing the six "best" that are available.

I have no idea if the six displayed are what Princess considers "best", or what they are trying to sell first, or what some other algorithm picks.

Thank you for that info. I had discovered that a short time ago while reading another thread. I'm finding six cabins listed usually, so I'm guessing that I'm seeing the six "best" that are available.

I'll speak with my travel agent tomorrow and possibly call Princess as well.

Thanks again.

Sue

They are luck of the draw and not the best available. ;)

The cabins listed on Princess' sites aren't necessarily the best as everyone has a different opinion on them. Right below the listed cabins is a section that you can plug in a cabin # to see if it is available. Try a few that might interest you and see what you come up with. If nothing, have your TA waitlist you for one of the very aft balconies. Closer to final payment, cabins become available again as some cancel due to various reasons.

I've sailed the Sapphire many times. I like any of the very aft balconies as well as other 600-700# aft balconies on Aloha. It's nice because you can walk to the back of the hallway, open a door, go up a couple of stairs and you are at the aft pool area and then a few more stairs and at the Horizon Court Buffet. If you want a minisuite many like the ones on Emerald deck because they have a fully covered balcony. The minis on Dolphin are fully exposed. I'm one who really likes the exposed ones because I spend 30-60 minutes each night before I go to bed on the balcony staring up at the beautiful, expansive sky. On the other balconies you have to stand at the rail to really see the sky. I've never felt others were watching anything I did but I'm one that can easily block things out while I'm cruising!

I have no idea if the six displayed are what Princess considers "best", or what they are trying to sell first, or what some other algorithm picks.

LOL, I get that for sure. What they might think are the "best" could be way different than what you and I think!

The cabins listed on Princess' sites aren't necessarily the best as everyone has a different opinion on them. Right below the listed cabins is a section that you can plug in a cabin # to see if it is available. Try a few that might interest you and see what you come up with. If nothing, have your TA waitlist you for one of the very aft balconies. Closer to final payment, cabins become available again as some cancel due to various reasons.

I've sailed the Sapphire many times. I like any of the very aft balconies as well as other 600-700# aft balconies on Aloha. It's nice because you can walk to the back of the hallway, open a door, go up a couple of stairs and you are at the aft pool area and then a few more stairs and at the Horizon Court Buffet. If you want a minisuite many like the ones on Emerald deck because they have a fully covered balcony. The minis on Dolphin are fully exposed. I'm one who really likes the exposed ones because I spend 30-60 minutes each night before I go to bed on the balcony staring up at the beautiful, expansive sky. On the other balconies you have to stand at the rail to really see the sky. I've never felt others were watching anything I did but I'm one that can easily block things out while I'm cruising!

Thank you so much for the tips. I didn't realize that we could waitlist a cabin....we just might have to do that!

Sue

Archived