Herculaneum Entrance/Exit

nordski

Hi

Trying to decide if a tour of Herculaneum will be simply too strenuous for my wife.

We'd like to know, because it is a relatively small site, are the entrance and exit at the same place?

If so, this might provide a "Plan B" if she must cut the tour short.

Thanks

Yes, they are at the same place. And it doesn't have to be strenuous. They recommend you begin by descending down to the sea level to view the warehouses that were built there, but you don't have to. Once you get to the bathroom/audio guide area, you can go the opposite way into the residential area--you can see a lot without expending too much energy. It IS a little bit of a walk from the street to the ticketing area; you can look down onto the ruins from above before you pay a dime. She could get a good look and see if it is doable for her.

At Herculaneum, you enter from the street through a arch, then walk down a fairly gently incline (circling around the site) until you reach the place to purchase tickets, go the restroom, etc. Then there is another stretch of ramp and at the end a couple of sets of (modern) stairs to get down into the site. I should clarify and say that we took the stairs; I do not remember noticing if there was a further ramp -- there could have been. This point is also the exit.

This will deposit you at the start of one of the several streets or cardos in Herculaneum. The streets themselves are not easy walking, but most of the area has some sort of sidewalk. Word of warning, though: the sidewalks aren't always flat and sometimes you have to make brief detours into the street to get around a house entrance or some ongoing work. The cardos go uphill from the entrance, but if you follow the usual path, you'll go uphill one way, then downhill the next. The slope varies but it's not bad if you're an average walker.

If you go to Google Images and search using "Herculaneum Entrance" you'll find a lot of photos that may give you a better idea.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=40.805949,14.350076&spn=0.005579,0.010954&sll=40.805396,14.346524&sspn=0.005579,0.010954&geocode=FYyebgIdye7aAA%3BFRGibgIdy-vaAA%3BFdulbgId-uXaAA%3BFaOpbgIdKO7aAA%3BFbylbgIdWvLaAA&oq=Via+Mare&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=4&sz=17&z=17

A is the overall entrance gate, where you'd be dropped by a vehicle. Then

140 yds level path to

B the ticket office/restrooms. Then

200 yards gentle downhill slope alongside the site to

C the audio sales booth, library, cafe, entrance bridge to the site.

B to C to D & back to B broadly outlines the site

Cathy mentions the sea-level warehouses. Bear in mind, the sea has receded/land has been reclaimed over the past 2000 years, so the site is now inland

As other posts, the site is sloping (toward the sea) but not severe. The ground is uneven (mainly large slabs), and a kerb of around 8" (?) to cross a street - which as Cruisemom says, you'll have to do a time or two to get past some buildings. Not wheelchair-friendly but tolerably ok for limited mobility.

The site is pretty compact (effectively four blocks), and its also very very complete - roads lined by complete or almost complete buildings instead of just a ground-level streetplan, which characterises much of Pompeii. All the buildings are of interest, but none are un-missable, so if you don't manage the whole site its no big deal. You can go inside most buildings (frescos etc survive), so there's plenty of shade too.

If you travel by train (station is Ercolano Scavi, to the right on this map), there's a shuttlevan costing €3 return, and allows 2 hours at the site - not long enough for enthusiasts like Cruisemom but ideal for most of us.

JB :)

Thanks so very much for your detailed and helpful responses.

At times when I despair over the level and themes of posts on the Cruise Lines' forums (not to forgive my own transgressions), the Ports of Call threads always impress me with their thoughfulness.

Two followups especially for cruisemom42:

1/ On this forum, you have offered to forward your notes re: Herculaneum.

Would you do so to my email address?

h babcock 1 @ rogers . com (without the spaces of course).

2/ At the bottom of your posts you used to quote Robert Hughes, I assume from his book on Rome.

Would you recommend that book as a good background source?

Thanks again to all for their excellent advice.

I'm traveling at the moment and don't have access to my notes (on my home computer) but will send them when I return home next week.

Regarding the Robert Hughes book on Rome, I greatly enjoyed it but not from the standpoint of it being a great source of information on Rome. It was more like having a drink and a conversation with a good friend who liked Rome as much as I do (and who shared his memories of the Rome he first knew in an earlier era).

So...as a primary source no. As reading that will add color and will help fill in the picture, yes.

I'm traveling at the moment and don't have access to my notes (on my home computer) but will send them when I return home next week.

Regarding the Robert Hughes book on Rome, I greatly enjoyed it but not from the standpoint of it being a great source of information on Rome. It was more like having a drink and a conversation with a good friend who liked Rome as much as I do (and who shared his memories of the Rome he first knew in an earlier era).

So...as a primary source no. As reading that will add color and will help fill in the picture, yes.

Your response is much appreciated, especially while you are travelling. I look forward to the notes.

Thanks also for your judgement of Hughes' book. Your elegant assessment encourages me to read it, despite some apparent failings in historical detail.

Hope your travels go exceedingly well.

Cynthia and others have posted some great info. Here's a little more and some of my visuals from being there last June. Hope this give you a better idea for what is there at this special historic site. It's size is smaller and fairly manageable. Just take your time and be patient.

Herculaneum was a nearby, smaller luxury resort town for the elite of the Roman empire. Very interesting and a nice "matched set", having already seen and done Pompeii. Only about a third of the total site has been opened up as the other above it areas are covered over by current housing/suburbs of Naples. Our guide there and pictured below was named Carmine. He was wonderful in his details and background for this seaside resort dating back to the 4th century BC. The city was thought to have been founded by or named for the legendary Hercules. This elite Roman resort was devastated by the same volcanic eruption that buried Pompeii in 79 AD. Unlike the ash and lava that devastated Pompeii, Herculaneum was covered by a torrent of mud, which protected the ruins from atmospheric agents and illegal excavators. The site was discovered by accident in the early 1700's when a well was being dug and workmen struck a stone pavement, the stage of the city's theater. Serious excavations began under Mussolini but only about eight blocks have been excavated. The rest is covered not only by rock but also by this dense, modern neighborhood. On a typical day, Pompeii will have 12,000 visitors, while Herculaneum will have 800-1200 a day. Herculaneum is closer to Naples, but does not have the train station that drops you right there at the main entrance.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 95,632 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We are getting ready to enter Herculaneum's main market area and this is part of the overall view for this section of the super historic town.:

HerculMainPlazaEntering.jpg

For the baths at Herculaneum, this view shows the arched roof that managed to survive the fall-out and coverage by the volcano ash.:

HerculBathsInterior.jpg

This is the interior of the temple or religious area at Herculaneum used by local residents there.:

HerculRelTempeInterior.jpg

For one of the most elite homes in Herculaneum, this was the view from the dining area out towards their enclosed gardens that had an overlook of the coast at that time before the volcano eruption.:

HerculOutdoorGardenResidence.jpg

These were a couple of grain grinding stones/tools used to prepared bread and food at Herculaneum.:

HerculGrainGrindingArea.jpg

This picture shows some of the “pots” used to store food or other items for sale at a shop at Herculaneum.:

HerculPotsFromStoreArea.jpg

Here are a few more angles to give you a better overall sense of this site and the history that is preserved here.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 95,632 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here are three added views at Herculaneum including first the view as you are walking down the slope towards the metal bridge that connects to the actual historical site. Second is closer to the bridge and looking at another angle of this site. Finally, this is on the bridge looking up towards where the visitor center is located..:

HerculWalkingTowardsBridge.jpg

HerculBridgeAcross2HistSite.jpg

HerculFromBridge2VistCenter.jpg

In the interior of the temple or religious area at Herculaneum, here is one of the large wall graphics.:

HerculWallGraphicsRelSite.jpg

This was a water supply area in the main market area at Herculaneum used by local residents there. The richer people had direct piping to their homes.:

HerculWaterSupplyMarketSt.jpg

Thanks Terry for sharing your wonderful photos.

And also thanks to cornishpastyman1 for sending me a link to some wonderful videos set in Pompeii and Herculaneum. (available on You Tube).

It's wonderful to see how both of you are so highly skilled in these technologies to utilize your artistic skills. On the downside, there is a profound sense of inadequacy creeping over me. Nothing new in that, however. :)

Thanks Terry for sharing your wonderful photos. And also thanks to cornishpastyman1 for sending me a link to some wonderful videos set in Pompeii and Herculaneum. (available on You Tube). It's wonderful to see how both of you are so highly skilled in these technologies to utilize your artistic skills. On the downside, there is a profound sense of inadequacy creeping over me. Nothing new in that, however. :)

Appreciate your nice and kind comments on my photos and Tony's videos. Don't feel "a profound sense of inadequacy creeping over me."

Digital makes things so much easier these days for EVERYONE to get more and better visual memories. A few of my key secrets are to shoot lots, be creative in angles and getting closer AND, then, only show people your best/good pictures. Don't let people see the average and boring shots. Impressive them with the better views, especially if you do a little "fine-tuning" on your laptop. Keep working at "IT". Digital is really such a different, easier and better world for ALL interested in photography.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 95,923 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Appreciate your nice and kind comments on my photos and Tony's videos. Don't feel "a profound sense of inadequacy creeping over me."

Digital makes things so much easier these days for EVERYONE to get more and better visual memories. A few of my key secrets are to shoot lots, be creative in angles and getting closer AND, then, only show people your best/good pictures. Don't let people see the average and boring shots. Impressive them with the better views, especially if you do a little "fine-tuning" on your laptop. Keep working at "IT". Digital is really such a different, easier and better world for ALL interested in photography.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 95,923 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Thanks for the suggestions. Ironically my youngest daughter is a Fine Arts grad with a major in photography and design.

She wouldn't be as optimistic as you :).

The problem that I run into is, that if concentrating on photography, I start to lose the thread of the narrative at the site.

So I'm just thrilled that posters like you and Tony are willing to share their achievements. Only my last remaining shreds of integrity (and technical ineptitude) prevent me from attempting to claim those efforts as my own :)

Thanks to both of you, all the best in future travels and looking forward to future postings.

• 2 months later...

We've returned from our Med. cruise, and I want to thank all of you for the expert and knowledgeable advice. My wife had few problems navigating the site and, based upon my experience at Pompeii, Herculaneum was an excellent alternative.

Special mention to cruisemom42 for the excellent notes she forwarded and Terry, TLCOhio, for the photos. Since I made the rookie mistake of suffering a camera battery death on the site, perhaps I can try to pass off his photos as mine :).

Also Tony, Cornishpastyman, sent me an excellent video which helped us anticipate what we would encounter.

Thanks to everyone, you helped us make a wise decision and I hope others can access and utilize this information.

Archived