Help w/carribean!

LVSue

I want to plan a new cruise to Carribean March 2013, preferably toward the beginning of the month. I do volunteer taxes for AARP and by the beginning of March, things are up and running, so I can get away. this for SIL, who lives in Chicago--we used to do this in Jan, but volunteers are protesting! 10-14 day is what we want. And we have already done Panama Canal.

I would love to do this in the first part of March, but the only trip that appeals to me is 10-day Noordam 3/11 (a little later than we would wish), but I like huge stops, people have raved about St. Lucia and Roseau.

I'd appreciate feedback from CC peeps.

Here is one that might fit the bill. It is on the Noordam leaving the 11 of March for 11 days. Has two of my favorite ports St. Maarten and St. Lucia. If that is to late you could do the same cruise leaving on Feb 18th. Ports:

Fort Lauderdale, Philipsburg/St. Maarten, St. Lucia/Castries, Soufriere Bay, Soufriere, Barbados/Bridgetown, Fort-de-France, Mount Pelee, Roseau, St. Thomas/Charlotte Amalie, Half Moon Cay, Fort Lauderdale

HAL doesn't have a lot of ships in the Caribbean that do longer itineraries anymore.

Maasdam - March 8 - 10 days:

Ft Lauderdale - At Sea - At Sea - San Juan - St Thomas - Dominica - Antigua - Tortola - At Sea - HMC - Ft Lauderdale

Maasdam - March 18 - 14 days

Ft Lauderdale - At Sea - At Sea - St Thomas - St Barts - St Lucia - Barbados - Grenada - At Sea - Bonair - Curacao - At Sea - At Sea - HMC - Ft Lauderdale

We did the Noordam cruise. It is best at this time of year to take more than a 7 day cruise as it is Spring Break time for colleges and even some kiddies in the south. We also did a Maasdam cruise this March that included St. Vincent and St. Kitts. Domenica is a must; not because of Roseau, but because the island is still pretty much not inundated by condos and resorts. It is amazing how each island has its own atmosphere; just a little different. Most are volcanic except for Barbados where it is interesting to see and compare the Atlantic and Caribbean sides.

Like you we have done the Panama Canal a couple of times just because of the lengeth of time. We don't like doing back to back as we lose a day back in port. We are doing the Noordam in Nov. We have been to almost all the ports before but like the itinerary. Only wish it had more sea days.

Wow! I was really leaning towards the March 11 Noordam. Glad to get confirmation.

I am iffy on the Maasdam because the only port that interests me is Roseau. There is a 14- dayer in the Westerdam March 3, FLL, HMC, Cayman Ils, Cozumel, Key West, Turks and Caicos, PR, St. Maarten, HMC, FLL.

But so far the Noordam looks good.

Rather than start a new thread, since there is some scenic cruising on this itinerary, is there a better side for viewing (Noordam)? Also, what is the one hour service call in Soufrieres, St. Lucia? Tendering is also indicated there, but how could you tender for an hour?

Also, what is the one hour service call in Soufrieres, St. Lucia? Tendering is also indicated there, but how could you tender for an hour?

The one-hour service call allows people on a HAL tour to be tendered back to the ship. No one else comes back there, and no one gets off.

Thanks a lot, Ruth. It all becomes clear, thanks to the wonderful CC peeps.

Is one side or the other better for this cruise? I've posted that somewhere else, but there some on this thread who seem so experienced! We're getting ready to book!

Rather than start a new thread, since there is some scenic cruising on this itinerary, is there a better side for viewing (Noordam)? Also, what is the one hour service call in Soufrieres, St. Lucia? Tendering is also indicated there, but how could you tender for an hour?
Noordam is our favorite ship, so I'm hoping you'll love it as we do. The scenic cruising to Soufrieres is best seen from the port side. If you're stuck on starboard, there's always the upper decks for photo ops. Just don't throw money to the kids who pull alongside. The service call is to pick up pax from excursions, and you cannot leave the ship.

I'm sorry, Typhoon1, I don't understand your post. I think I said I wanted the 3/11 Noordam cruise and that I'm not interested in ABC because we did that on a Panama Canal cruise. I don't understand what "these" refers to. Sorry to be so obtuse.

I'm looking at an SB, but the only one midships port is by the glass elevators. There is a starboard 3 from the elevators. Is port that important? We need midships to be close to Neptune. SIL isn't walking so well these days.

Never mind. I started a thread on glass elevators and got such great info that I decided to go up a floor and do a port two up from the elevator.

Thanks a bunch for all your help!

Sue

Archived