Prinsendam - Cabin Selection Questions!

Windsailer

I'm looking at a cruise on the Prinsendam August 2013. I'm looking at an AA cabin (107 or 109) ...far forward on the Upper Promenade deck. They are over the showroom - will I have a probem with noise there? And are there concerns if it is a connecting cabin - vs. one that isn't? All info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I was far forward last year on the Prinsendam. (not quite as forward as that but pretty close) In all honesty, I didn't see much difference in motion no matter where you were.

I wouldn't worry about a connecting cabin on that ship either:D

The only cabins I would avoid are the new AB cabins in the aft. I have read reviews on the boards and heard from passengers on our last cruise who verified everything I had read.

The Prinsendam is a different ship - because she cuts through the waves so the ride is pretty much the same all over the ship IMO:D She sails well.

Love the ship - I hope you do too:D

I had somewhat the same concern when I had a cabin directly UNDER the showroom, in fact concerned that I accepted an upsell. During the cruise I did take the time to walk by my original cabin during one of the shows and heard absolutely nothing. I can't be sure of the difference between above and below but that's at least an idea. The Prinsendam is a very well built ship so I expect the soundproofing is very good in general. Can't say for sure about a connecting cabin but I wouldn't worry too much. As well as the ship is built normal noises shouldn't carry and this just isn't a "party ship".

Roy

Really appreciate the quick responses! Another question - it looks like many of the AA cabins only have a shower. Is that a problem? Is the shower large?

107 seems to have both bath and shower - for the sake of one cabin you might want to take a look at it. sorry I don't know how large the shower only cabins are on the ship - people who had them on our last cruise didn't seem to mind them - but we had the combo:o no cabin crawl last cruise so I didn't see them. Next cruise I shall :)

Having spent over 100 days on the Prinsendam in just the past 2 years we will respectfully disagee with some of the comments regarding noise. The soundproofing on the Prinsendam is old technology and not always very good (we know this from first-hand experience). Having a cabin under or over a showroom can be a problem depending on the scheduled use of the showroom. Unless you go to bed very early (before 11:30) you will not have to deal with hearing the actual shows. But, they do have rehearsals and sometimes they can be late at night (right after the late show) or relatively early in the mornings (for those who sleep late).

Regarding shower-only cabins (we have had these and also had the shower-tub cabins) we prefer the shower-only since DW and I prefer showers to baths. It is easier to get in and out of a shower then a tub....so that drives our preference.

Hank

Really appreciate the quick responses! Another question - it looks like many of the AA cabins only have a shower. Is that a problem? Is the shower large?

The shower is a lot easier to get in and out of than the tub. A lot! Not only does the tub have very, very high sides, but the deck is lower than the bottom of the tub, so getting out, then having the ship roll a tad, can be absolutely dangerous.

The only consideration could be whether or not the beds can be separated. I was in an A-cabin with a tub, and had two nightstands. Those beds could be separated, as one bed and nightstand could be shifted.

But I visited in two cabins along the same passageway---one of which was an AA forward---with shower only. Those cabins had only one nightstand, which was at the head of the aisle where the bathroom door was. The other side of the bed directly abuted the couch. You could not separate the beds, as there was no where for them to go.

Otherwise, the cabins seemed the same, and were spacious.

The ship is lovely, and rides smoothly.

We had cabin 111 and did not notice any noise from the showroom. Very comfortable room. We prefer shower only rooms because, as noted previously, it's easier to get in and out of a shower rather than stepping over the higher tub wall. You will love the ship! We leave next Wed. on our fourth Prinsendam cruise. Enjoy your trip!

We were in 114 on the Prinsendam for a B2B Med and TA cruise and we could hear the music from the shows and the daytime rehearsals, especially the bass. Loud enough to notice, but not enough to bother you. Not an issue. Smooth ride even in rough seas, and a little deeper balcony. Would rebook that cabin in a heartbeat.

The showers on Prinsendam (at least in the large outside cabins) qualify as small in my book. They aren't tiny postage stamps, but aren't roomy either. But as others have said, there isn't the large lip to step over getting in and out like there is with the tubs.

There is a curtain rather than a door leading to the shower.

The luxury line that commissioned this ship only put tubs in about 50% of cabins for their first 4 (of 5) ships. In many categories, the cabins alternate between shower only and tub with shower as you walk down the hall.

The showers on Prinsendam (at least in the large outside cabins) qualify as small in my book. They aren't tiny postage stamps, but aren't roomy either.

I thought the shower in my Prinsendam inside cabin was a decent size, especially for a cruise ship. That old joke about soaping down the sides and spinning just would not have worked.

You can't compare it to showers at home, or in a nice hotel.

I bet the size of the showers is pretty standard throughout the ship.

I thought the shower in my Prinsendam inside cabin was a decent size, especially for a cruise ship. That old joke about soaping down the sides and spinning just would not have worked.

You can't compare it to showers at home, or in a nice hotel.

I bet the size of the showers is pretty standard throughout the ship.

My 6'1" husband said it was more than adequate for an average sized person. I thought it was great....to me, the bathroom size was larger than I expected. We also choose a cabin with a shower to avoid stepping into the tub.

As we had sailed on Royal Viking Line (for whom the Prinsendam was originally built) we make sure we booked a shower stall cabin we sail on the Prinsendam. Someone 6'1" may not have a problem taking a shower while standing in the tub, but DH is taller (6'6"). He would have to stoop over in order to shower in a 'tub' bathroom. We both have found our shower stall bathroom has a roomier feel than the tub bathroom next door. A few years ago we had friends in the adjoining cabin and we all spent some time comparing the pros/cons of each type. Our friends decided that the shower stall bathroom would also work better for them next cruise.

For tall folks, the shower stall is much better. :)

I really appreciate all the comments so far. One last one - my DH is prone to mal de mer...would it be better to go for an A more mid-ship or would AA 129 or 172 be OK, too?

Mid ship is normally idea on the larger ships - this one is a bit different - in all honesty I didn't notice much difference - but if your DH is really prone - then why not go more mid ship. ? 129 is pretty close to the middle - I would think you would be ok - but JMVHO

If there is anything else we can help with - feel free to ask - I know how hard it is to find info on the Elegant Explorer from past experience. The boards were a huge help to me when I was planning our first one - and we're going back:D:D

I really appreciate all the comments so far. One last one - my DH is prone to mal de mer...would it be better to go for an A more mid-ship or would AA 129 or 172 be OK, too?

I would choose a cabin between the two sets of elevators to get the smoothest ride. However, please know that this ship was built for sailing all the seas of the world, and has a very nice ride. She cuts through the water nicely.

I really appreciate all the responses - just wish there were more recent reviews re the food and ambiance!

You are just going to have to take our word, for it!! Before our first Prinsendam cruise, I had read mostly bad reviews. I have found (including myself) that when people have a great cruise, they don't feel the need to report on it. They will just comment from time to time. However, if a person has what they believe to be a bad cruise, they want all of CC to know! You mentioned food and ambiance. That, most of us most likely would give not less than an A- as a grade. The minus is that nothing is perfect all the time! She is an older ship. If you want everything shiny new, you won't get it. You will get ambiance and great food. She is rated among the best in Conde Nast. And, she has the highest repeater rate at HAL. After one cruise, most of us are addicted. Nothing else is the same.

I really appreciate all the responses - just wish there were more recent reviews re the food and ambiance!

I posted the first review ever in my life when I got off the Prinsendam. I also sent a letter to HAL commending them on certain people on the ship, the ship and the staff in general:D People sail this ship for a reason.

the staff are tremendous - the ship is elegant - the rooms are different.

she doesn't win everyone over - but she sure won us over - we're going back:D

Last November when we were on the Prinsendam, one of our tablemates was in C103. He did hear the rehearsals and would make a comment regarding an upcoming show. He also reported he awoke one night when his barware fell to the floor. The Mediterranean was very turbulent that night, although we had no dancing barware in the rear of the ship,

I guess we can try to help since we were on the Pdam for 62 days starting this past March. This ship is truly a love it or hate it vessel and we are among her many fans. P. Dam lovers are a strange breed because we are happy to be on an old ship (with its share of rust and other aging issues) that has very few amenities when compared to the newest generation of ships. We have found the food to be generally a step-up from other HA ships (especially when compared to the Rotterdam) and service is always excellent. Although some of the crew privately call it the Prisondam...morale always seems to be terrfic on this vessel. We find the crew mix fascinating since there are some very experienced crew members but also a lot of crew on their first or 2nd contracts (The P Dam is a good ship to break-in new staff). The best word I can use to describe the ambiance is friendly. The small size of the vessel helps folks get to know one another and the crew seems to really enjoy interacting with the passengers. When we board the Prinsendam we feel like we are home.

Hank

Archived