How much would you pay...

dakrewser

Please remember my actual question folks - what would you pay for the equivilent of an MDR meal at a restaurant near your locality? .

I'm sorry but the English major in me is confused. By "How much WOULD you pay..." are you asking how much an equivalent meal would cost or how much we would be willing to pay for an equivalent meal?

Good point.

But, when we evaluate was a given cruise a 'good value for the money' as that is a question HAL asked on their end of cruise survey for a great many years, then we have to factor in the dining experience. The question they asked was/is "Was this cruise a good value for your money?"

Don't we all judge our whole cruise experience in relation to how much we paid when we evaluate whether a good value for how much money we spent?

I do. If some things haven't gone well, but I went at a cheap fare, I'm inclined to be a bit lenient.

If they're asking for a rating on value for money, they're asking you to look at the cruise in light of what you paid. The interesting thing would be to know if the computer that scores your results "knows" how much you paid to take that into account in some way.

I'm sorry but the English major in me is confused. By "How much WOULD you pay..." are you asking how much an equivalent meal would cost or how much we would be willing to pay for an equivalent meal?

Fair point. What I mean is what would an equivalent meal cost you....

I do. If some things haven't gone well, but I went at a cheap fare, I'm inclined to be a bit lenient.

If they're asking for a rating on value for money, they're asking you to look at the cruise in light of what you paid. The interesting thing would be to know if the computer that scores your results "knows" how much you paid to take that into account in some way.

Yes, that would be interesting to know.

It is also interesting IMO they ask for range of household income.

I don't like anyone asking that. Not their business IMO

I know WHY they are asking but I find it invasive.

It is difficult to say. The local restaurants that we frequent serve better food. It is individually prepared, served hot, and the service is much better. It might not be as fancy or well presented but it is better-at least to our tastes.

We find these restaurants much more relaxing since they have a much quieter environment. By the time we get our coffee on a cruise ship dining room we are ready to bolt...the noise level bothers us after a time.

Exactly. Location also makes a big difference, our DD and family live in Houston and consider the prices here, even in a resort city, quite low. We are used to our prices and consider most big cities very expensive for the same quality.

Okay, I live in a Podunk sort of area, with pretensions. There are restaurants, Italian, French-ish, Chinese, that we save for special occasions, and going on our level of satisfaction with the entire experience, not just the quality of the food, I would equate them to the experience in the MDR. They would cost $25 - $30 pp.

However I still value the shipboard MDR dinner higher because I can't separate it from the fact that it come wrapped in a cruise ship.

Before my first cruise I would hear friends talk about the amazing cruise ship meals. I've come to learn that a lot of the perceived quality comes from the fact that you are on vacation, all dressed up, and the meal is included. Season that with all you want, the service, and the eye appeal, and you believe you are dining in a gourmet restaurant. I grew up eating in very fine restaurants so the food to me on a ship is generally good, sometime outstanding, rarely poor.

Interesting thread.

Mentally picked a local restaurant which vaguely resembles the MDR...good water view, linen tablecloths, OK-food-that's-even better-if-you-know-what-they-do-best.

Theoretically....

I'd pay C$8 for an appetizer; then $20 for an entree, which would include a salad; then $8 for dessert.

That's around $36 pp. Then add 13% tax = C$40.50 pp. Call it $47 pp with tip. OK: make it $100 for 2.

But, it wouldn't happen. I can't imagine ordering both appetizer and dessert. The extra money! The extra food! If I did this, I'd wind up only picking at all of the courses. Which, hmm....describes my HAL cruise behaviour.

Also, the reason I only say $20 for the entree is I don't order that $35 venison special, or add a $15 lobster tail. I'm too cheap, er...economical.

I had some tasty venison on Eurodam, though. And asked for a second lobster tail with my surf and turf on the final formal night.

(my comparison restaurant: http://www.casabellarestaurant.ca/index.htm)

Okay, I live in a Podunk sort of area, with pretensions. There are restaurants, Italian, French-ish, Chinese, that we save for special occasions, and going on our level of satisfaction with the entire experience, not just the quality of the food, I would equate them to the experience in the MDR. They would cost $25 - $30 pp.

However I still value the shipboard MDR dinner higher because I can't separate it from the fact that it come wrapped in a cruise ship.

Before my first cruise I would hear friends talk about the amazing cruise ship meals. I've come to learn that a lot of the perceived quality comes from the fact that you are on vacation, all dressed up, and the meal is included. Season that with all you want, the service, and the eye appeal, and you believe you are dining in a gourmet restaurant. I grew up eating in very fine restaurants so the food to me on a ship is generally good, sometime outstanding, rarely poor.

:D Magandab, you and I are cut from the same cloth. I agree with you completely, except that you live in Podunk. There are alot worse places to be living, but we won't go there...wrong thread!!

I would like to add that any meal that I have had in the MDR is better than I cook at home (which is a rare accurance), so putting a price on it is pointless. As it has been said, food is subjective and we all have our own expectations. I look at the overall picture, a great meal, wonderful service all wrapped up in a Cruise ship. Add to that the amount of food processed on an hourly basis, I have no room to complain about anything as I can't do it better, but if I have to complain, it is taken care of with a smile and promptly. "Life is good"

I can't really think of any restaurants to compare with the MDR. I guess I see it more as banquet or catered type of dining. When I think about nice corporate functions I have coordinated or wedding receptions I have attended at hotels, I would put the HAL MDR food in about the $50ish per plate range. Not the cheapest but certainly far from the most expensive.

My favorite restaurant at home is practically around the corner from my house. The atmosphere and service is not up to Pinnacle level, but the food definitely is. I can have a cocktail, onion soup, petit filet, potato, veggie, tax & tip for about $25-$27 dollars.

So, that's about the same as Pinnacle on the ship for a similar meal. The only thing missing at home is dessert and coffee, but I am too full for that!

Take it down a notch to another favorite restaurant near home. I can have bottomless soda, soup, turkey w/dressing, potato, veggie, tax & tip for about $17-$18.

From both service and food point of view, this is a comparable meal to the ship's dining room, but the portions are larger, which explains no dessert or coffee.

Please remember my actual question folks - what would you pay for the equivilent of an MDR meal at a restaurant near your locality?

There are two separate questions: (1) what is the market price for the equivalent of an MDR meal at a restaurant near my locality?, and (2) how much would I be willing to spend for the equivalent of an MDR meal at a restaurant near my locality?.

As far as (1) goes, I would say that a market price for a dinner comparable to MDR would be in the neighborhood of $35-$50 per person.

As far as (2), I would not spend more than $15-$20 per person on a dinner. Not now, anyway.

To weigh in on your comment on the difference in fares. Yes you pay a lot more, but in return you get a lot more.

Looking at a 7 day Western Caribbean on the Westerdam in November the lowest inside cabin is $549 and the lowest Suite is $3791. Based on the smallest cabin for each fare, the inside is about $8.55 per square foot while the Suite is $7.58 per square foot. So on that basis you are paying less. Add in the other extras that the Suite provides and the dining experience becomes less a part of it.

To further the comparison, and I will use Atlanta since I know it a bit, you pay the same price for a meal at Waffle House whether you live in Buckhead or Cabbagetown. The same goes for the "High Class" restaurants -- where you live does not determine the price you pay for your meal.

I agree with Rich, that the difference in cabins & fares paid does not come into the equation at all..A suite Psgr is getting much more than a Psgr in an inside or outside cabin & as Rich says paying less per square foot..:)LOL

However dinner in the MDR can't compare with dinner in a more upscale Restaurant either..We went out to dinner with Friends the other day in one of our local Seafood Restaurants..DH & I each ordered a drink instead of wine, approx. $6.00 each...DH had a salad & I had clam chowder for starters..I ordered soft shell crabs which were huge blue claws & DH had a Fillet Mignon..Both included home made bread, our choice of potato, & a mixed Vegtable..The entire bill came to $79.27 which included 6% tax & a 20% tip for the two of us..Therefore it was $40. pp..If we deduct our drinks it was $34. pp including tax & tip..My blue claw crabs were so large I could only eat one & brought the other one home..DH ate his entire dinner..We had coffee at home with our Friends..

I have never had a meal in the MDR that I could not finish..MDR courses are much smaller than any of our Restaurant courses..In a Restaurant I'm always bringing part of my meal home..

In the MDR or Pinnacle, I'll normally order only an appetizer or soup or salad which are always much smaller than appetizers or salads in our Restaurants.. A main course which again is smaller, except in the Pinnacle, & dessert of sorbet unless they have Creme Brulee (my downfall).. Instead of wine with dinner I prefer to have a coffee with a Baileys in it, while DH has a glass of wine & a fancy gooey dessert with ice cream..I'm guesstimating the MDR meal we both eat would probably be about $30-$35 pp plus 6%tax & 20%tip

Cheers...Betty

I have never had a meal in the MDR that I could not finish..MDR courses are much smaller than any of our Restaurant courses..

But of course you can get another - for no extra charge - in the MDR, so you could get a similar portion size...

The restaurant served probably 1 1/2 seatings that night and in total had approximately 110 diners. How can one compare to serving 1250 guests not to mention crew?

As I've said before, a lot of people forget this and over-expect.

We are not "foodies" and enjoy the MDR, even if it means ordering the daily chicken or salmon. But at how many non-buffet restaurants can you order 3 appetizers, 2 entrees, and 4 desserts and not be charged extra? :D

The fact that the portions are smaller in the MDR than in most land-based restaurants is a plus in my book. It's not as though I am going to take home leftovers for the next day's lunch at work, as I do at home. I love the portion control that allows me to try a greater variety of dishes and not gain a huge amount of weight. A lot of damage can be done to my waistline and health in 10-14 days!

Okay, I just about choked on my corn dog! I honestly am not trying to be rude or a smart*ss but there is no way you can compare Norm's to the MDR and the Pinnacle is in a different galaxy!

One point regarding the price in the Pinnacle - its not costing you $25 each for that meal - its costing you $25 plus whatever portion of your fare is covering dinner that night. Worth it - no doubt about it, but let's stick to apples-to-apples.

Keep eating your corn dogs !!! I find Norm's meals better than I have had on HAL. AND they are priced very low !!!

One of the great joys of the MDR is that the potions are very small, but there is no limit to the amount you can order. Can't decide between the curry or the snapper? Have them both! Double appetizers, double entres that's my motto. You can't do that ashore cost effectively.

To me the better value is in the main dining venue... where to get that, you would pay at least $60 pp ( $120 couple at an average place for 3 course)... To me however, if you pay $30 more in the pinnacles( with tip) you are getting a better meal and atmosphere but are getting nowhere the value or deal because onto your calculation you have to factor the meal in the main dining room that you threw away.

Here, we can get a plate of fish and chips and a beer for 2 for $50. and are hard pressed to get any dinner for 2 under $120.

I have nothing to complain about in the Holland American ships Main dining venue either from variety or value. Paying extra seems a terrible waste because the actual return is thus reduced so much.

Rather than get up-sold to a pay extra place I will save my money for a higher quality ship that has everything inclusive and is of a much higher quality. There is the real value to my way of thinking

Around where I am, a very nice meal out, with wine, comes to about $100 to $150 for the two of us. We get a lot of "influence" from San Francisco and Napa Valley meaning that the better restaurants here get their ideas (and prices :eek:) from that sphere. I don't mind the upcharge for the Pinnacle and find the meals very good to excellent. I also don't mind the $1.50 carne asada tacos from my favorite taco truck which are also excellent so take this with a grain of salt. YMMV...

The MDR our last cruise was kind of hit and miss - some things great, others were, in the case of a tofu dish I ordered for a change of pace, was the worst thing I ever had on a ship anywhere. I compensated by having two desserts that night - the awfulness of the dish also made it to my end of cruise comment card which was a first for me too. Oh well, such is life.

DH and I are currently living and working in a small town with only one nice restaurant similar to MDR; it is located in an historic, beautifully restored hotel. Dinner (salad or appetizer, entree with sides, dessert) there with one glass of moderate quality wine would be about $45 pp.

I like the MDR and have rarely had a problem with any item; if there were a problem I'm sure that I mentioned it, made another choice, and the offending dish was replaced promptly. I am fine with the small portions, as otherwise I could never consume an appetizer, a salad, a main dish with sides, and then dessert, all in one meal. I will confess, sometimes I ask for a cheese plate for dessert, and take that back to my cabin for a snack later on.

I've dined in Pinnacle only once, and was not impressed. My steak was fine but not exceptional, certainly no better than Ruth's Chris or Morton's. Our server was snooty, kept interrupting our table conversation, and had the nerve to comment loudly that I had used the wrong fork or dropped my knife, or some other minor matter. I was taught proper dinner manners, but I was also taught that if someone makes a mistake, you ignore it or quietly correct it, you do not criticize the guest.

Given the positive reviews here, perhaps I'll try Pinnacle again on my upcoming cruise, as my experience may have been a one-off.

We do have a couple of restaurants that we freqent.

One is medium priced. We don't drink wine but we do order 2 cocktails each. Our bill is usually around $100 -- more if we order lobster tails.

Another restaurant you pay for each course -- that bill is usually around $200.

We always had have excellent service at these restaurants -- way better than what we have had on some cruises.

In all honesty HAL food is pretty good but not as good as the slightly upscale non-chain restaurants around here. Kind of hard to say exactly what a dinner on HAL really costs but if I were forking out up to $200 a night just for the dinners we've had a few cruises I'd not be a happy camper or in this case I guess a happy cruiser. That said I'm actually not complaining, I don't go on cruises expecting the same quality dinners I get at some of our better local restaurants. HAL may not be Applebee's but it's certainly no Kirby's Steak House either where the food and the service are extraordinary. :)

about $2 - $10, but i almost never eat dinner out. i cook.

We cook too but neither of us will on Friday night and the cats refuse so that's always "date night". Barring illness or travel it has been for nearly 15 years.:). Of course it's not always upscale restaurants either.

Archived