Is Oceania for us???

Tillylovesseabourn

Hi Folks,

I have been watching Oceania for sometime and am very impressed with their your world literature and PH grade rooms and suites.

My question is that having sailed on Seabourn many times, Silversea and Regent , we are intersted in trying a Carribean cruise on Riviera in a PH and apart from the obvious drinks and tips not included, how do you think the trip would compare in terms or service and food in comparison to how we have cruised previously?

We are not big show people, but enjoy a bit of music / occasional dancing in a bar.

To add, I have sailed HAL Eurodam in the Penthouse, which was superlative food and stunning suite, however we did not use the MDR, are the speciality restaurants of a similar quality to Pinnacle Grill for example??

Appreciate your help,many thanks!

Have been on 1 Oceania cruise,,on Insignia,,but didnt upgrade to PH...learned me lesson.Booked PH on Regatta for next Sept..Montreal to NYC..

Have been on Regent,Seabourn,and SeaDream...they will be a tough act to follow.

Striclty went by itinerary and dates,,had certain ports I WANTED to sea at certain time of year.Did get my TA to include gratuites,,and will bypass drinks package.But shore excursions not as important ,,since usually go on own.You have to weigh ALL the options.

Give it a try,,,if not to your liking,,,you learned a lesson,,but DO upgrade to PH ,,for the cabin,and the extras. A lot less than the luxury lines,,but its those "extras and upgrades" that get you...good luck to both of us...:)

We are also looking for a change from Regent. Although the Cabins are not a spacious as the Regent Penthouse on Voyager and Marina, the rest of the product seems to meet our requirements.

Just one question regarding the drink's package which we would require: Being a true supporter of the World's grape growers I like a few glasses of wine in my cabin of an evening. I am not sure, with the package, if I receive a bottle in the cabin or do I have to call each time I want a drink?

Anyone know if the fridge is stocked as on Regent?

Many thank's for any advice

We are also looking for a change from Regent. Although the Cabins are not a spacious as the Regent Penthouse on Voyager and Marina, the rest of the product seems to meet our requirements.

Just one question regarding the drink's package which we would require: Being a true supporter of the World's grape growers I like a few glasses of wine in my cabin of an evening. I am not sure, with the package, if I receive a bottle in the cabin or do I have to call each time I want a drink?

Anyone know if the fridge is stocked as on Regent?

Many thank's for any advice

The drink Pacakages do NOT include bottles nor alcoholic drinks from the mini fridge

Now if you get a suite I believe they have a bar set up included

You could always bring your own bottles for the cabin

Drinks via room service I believe is only during meal time with a delivery

It is spelled out someplace & I am sure the authority posters with be along soon to correct me ;)

Lyn

Don't know if I'm an "authority poster" or not, but Lyn is one I would consider an authority poster!

It's correct that the premium drink package only includes wine by the glass, even in the restaurants and bars. There is no bottle setup in the cabins, and the package does not include the mini-bar (has to do with bookkeeping -- they need to see your World Card (marked with the letters BIB for the drink package. You will not receive a receipt or need to sign anything).

The exception to "no bottles" is in what has been labeled as "OVO" suites -- Owners, Vista and Oceania. These suites, at a higher level than the Penthouse suites, receive a generous, one-time package of bottles of liquors and wine.

Lyn is correct that room service drinks using the package are only with meals.

If you are not in one of the OVO suites, an alternative for wine in the stateroom is to bring your own. There is no limit on what you may bring aboard at embarkation or any port -- beer, wine or spirits. There is an "official" statement about bringing alcohol on board, but that would only be enforced if the guest is an obnoxious drunk. I've never heard of it being enforced. You may ask your butler or steward for wine glasses; a corkscrew is supplied in the fridge.

Don't know if I'm an "authority poster" or not, but Lyn is one I would consider an authority poster!

Don thank you :o:o

I think you have spent more time on O than I have ;)

Lyn

Hi Folks,

I have been watching Oceania for sometime and am very impressed with their your world literature and PH grade rooms and suites.

My question is that having sailed on Seabourn many times, Silversea and Regent , we are intersted in trying a Carribean cruise on Riviera in a PH and apart from the obvious drinks and tips not included, how do you think the trip would compare in terms or service and food in comparison to how we have cruised previously?

We are not big show people, but enjoy a bit of music / occasional dancing in a bar.

To add, I have sailed HAL Eurodam in the Penthouse, which was superlative food and stunning suite, however we did not use the MDR, are the speciality restaurants of a similar quality to Pinnacle Grill for example??

Anyone help with the above questions??

Thanks

Thanks

I think it may be hard to give a definitive answer

Everyone has different perceptions/expectation of the service & food is always subjective

We are not "foodies" but always found something good to eat ;)

Take a short 7 days cruise on Oceania then decide if they may be a cruise line for you on a longer cruise

Hopefully you will get the answer you are looking for

Lyn

Hi Folks,

Thanks

Having sailed on all the lines you mentioned above, I firmly believe that O's food is the best at sea (particularly on the O class ships). Of course, food is very subjective, but I don't think you would be disappointed.

The PHs are very nice, the ship is beautiful - I don't see how you could go wrong trying her.

Enjoy!

TillylovesSeabourn,

A you may know I am an avid Seabourn sailor so I know what your expectations from a cruise might be. I have also sailed O several times and am a big fan, but like you, would only sail in a PH. If your Caribbean cruise on Riviera is at holiday time let me warn you to be prepared for lots and lots of kids as Marina had last year. Also, in a PH on Oceania you will only be entitled to one advance reservation in each specialty restaurant. You may possibly get more on board but do not for an instant think you can avoid the GDR for the entire cruise unless you eat in the Terrace Cafe every night (which I much prefer to the GDR.) The food in the four specialty restaurants is superb, especially Red Ginger and Jacques. Imo the food in the MDR on SB is far superior to the GDR on O as is the ambience and service. You cannot make special orders on O. That said, if you pick a cruise when kids are in school you will love Riviera. The ship is gorgeous, the PHs are among the best accommodation at sea, the staff is great and so are your fellow passengers.

Thanks Wripro! More like the comments i was looking for.

I was under the impression i would get more opportunity in the speciality restaurants, I thought i could book in advance as well?

Was planning to cruise beginning of feb, so hoping for very few children from uk, but dont know about usa kids holidays?

Thanks Wripro! More like the comments i was looking for.

I was under the impression i would get more opportunity in the speciality restaurants, I thought i could book in advance as well?

Was planning to cruise beginning of feb, so hoping for very few children from uk, but dont know about usa kids holidays?

Everyone get to book 1 per restaurant online but you can book more once you board (if available) & of course if you are in PH you can also be served in your suite if you choose

Q: When can I make reservations in the specialty restaurant?

A: ONLINE RESERVATIONS (Pre cruise)

Now you can make advanced dining reservations online for Polo Grill and Toscana. Pending availability, you can select preferred dates and times and even invite guests to join your party.

Please visit the Already Booked section of our website to make your dining reservations. Restrictions do apply so make sure you read our Reservation Rules before attempting to make reservations.

OS/VS/OC- Final Payment Due Date (90 or 150 days until 15 days prior to sailing)

PH- 75 -15 days prior)

A Concierge Level- 60-15 days prior)

All Other Categories- 45-15 days prior)

Other information can be found at

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/faq.aspx?Cat=All

Did you do the Azamara cruise ? If so did you like it?

Thanks LHT, am I correct in thinking then i could dine in the restaurants 4 nights and theoretically be served from those restaurants by prior arrangement on the remaining nights or is there a limit to 4 meals from here total?? thanks

You can use your specialty dining allotment of 1 in each restaurant You can ask your butler to try to obtain other reservations

Or you can have your Butler serve you "course by course" in your cabin

Be sure to try the GDR & the TERRACE Cafe though ;)

Lyn

Thanks LHT, am I correct in thinking then i could dine in the restaurants 4 nights and theoretically be served from those restaurants by prior arrangement on the remaining nights or is there a limit to 4 meals from here total?? thanks

The limit is set for seating in the restaurants, and is initially set low enough to give everyone on board that many guaranteed reservations. There is no limit to how often you can be served in your suite.

The cook-to-order grill in the Terrace buffet has led to increased popularity of that venue, deservedly so. The buffet itself is a cut above any other I have tried, with staff filling your plate, servers bringing you liquid refreshment, and waiters anxious to carry your plate to your table. Still, it IS a buffet, with all the attendant hustle and bustle, traffic, and occasional inadvertent jostling. While there are some who abstain from the Grand Dining Room, there are many who prefer to be elegantly served in a more luxurious ambiance.

We have sailed with Oceania enough that the cachet of the specialty restaurants has somewhat worn off (the menus rarely vary) and the busyness of the buffet and sometimes frustrating attempt to find an open table have little appeal for us. Also, other than the cook to order grill (which I would find tiresome night after night), the entrees in the buffet are the same as that served downstairs in the GDR.

We generally have 75% or 80% of breakfasts in the GDR (that's where you get the baby lamb chops or breakfast steak :cool:) and limit ourselves to perhaps one dinner at the Terrace, the rest in the GDR other than once in each specialty venue. We have not sailed Seabourn but have sailed on Regent and find the GDR to be slightly better than Compass Rose, with the specialty restaurants on Marina and Riviera getting the nod because of the greater variety. When not on tour, we almost always lunch at the Waves grill near the pool -- check out the Kobe burger and the Surf and Turf sandwich with a small filet and small lobster tail.

If you like fine wine and elegant service, you will also be doing yourself a favor if the choose one of the (extra cost) reservations in La Reserve, especially the new Connoisseur menu. In partnership with Wine Spectator, it's a treat for an oenophile with a sophisticated palate (that's not me, but I'm learning, and have thoroughly enjoyed La Reserve three times).

You can also put together a small dinner party (up to 10) and reserve Privee', the sophisticated private restaurant located between Toscana and Polo, get outstanding service, and choose a mix or match from the menus of Toscana or Polo. There is a fee of $250, but it is a memorable experience, especially if the ship is sailing eastward -- the sunset from Privee', over the wake, will be a lifetime memory.

This was from a party of nine in Privee', arranged by Jim & Stan, including our 8 member Trivia team and Leslie Jon, at sail-away from Venice, on Riviera's Maiden Voyage.

120754.jpg

Taken from Privee' during dinner...

133018.jpg

Even when we have penthouse suite, we have not availed ourselves of the en-suite dining, because we prefer to dine with friends or among others. We dine alone at home...:rolleyes:. If we had on OVO suite (shorthand for Owners, Vista & Oceania suites) with seating for four, we might enjoy sharing the table with another couple.

Archived