Should we cruise to Hawaii?

neverbeenhere

you experience the discovery of each island by sea, not stepping from a 5.5 hour ride above the clouds in a metal tube. It will take you almost 5 days of anticipation and relaxation. And 5 days back to refelect on your discovery/ It is the romance of the sea and the exploration that awaits.

That is a special experience in this day and age of instant gratification.

Maui is only a tiny portion and we here in Hawaii say Maui is the southern californian idea of what Hawaii should. ( I feel its so totaly commercialized I call it LA with pineapples... )

The fact that you spend a month every year in Maui is proof positive you would benifit from the experience, seeing the rest of Hawaii, a cruise off the Na Pali, Honolulu sunset off diamond head, The lush tropics of old Hilo, The finest snorkeling diving the state in Kona. The slow rural life of the rest od the state... and its national parks. you can drive 40 miles along the coast and not see one hotel or condo.

The only caution is that many who love Maui hate the rest of Hawaii because of its rural and undeveloped nature compared to Maui. You might love it or hate it... However, the journey to Hawaii by sea is truly a trip of fulfillment that a crummy flight, even in first class can't begin to equal.....

While you might like Celeb, I think the Holland America with smaller ships does a better job and dosent end in mexico and saild rt out of San Diego

They do a 28 day cruise too, thats takes in Tahiti and Hawaii

We taken 4 Hawaii cruises, and loved them all. If you're the type of person that enjoys sea days and also wants to visit the island, then this cruise is a great choice. It's the best of both worlds. The circle-R/T cruises are perfect. Leisurely sea days at the start, then visit the islands, and then sea days to relax at the end.

Enjoy your cruise!

Not sure where on earth you are, but if you are in the US you have a choice of sailing from the west coast or flying to HI, and boarding a ship there.

I believe it is three days at sea each way if you sail from the coast. HI is a different and wonderful place to visit.:)

We're on the west coast and travel to Kauai for 3 weeks a year. But still love cruising to Hawaii, and did the 15 day cruises twice. If you look at the roundtrip itineraries, there are only 4 days on the islands (no Kauai) and 5.5 days on either side. We've had an aft cabin both times and it was heavenly, but depends on how much you like sea days and getting a taste of the other islands. We've been to them all many times but still enjoy grabbing a car and driving off to our favorite beach for the day.

On the other hand....Celebrity does Sydney-Honolulu with New Zealand and Tahiti in between, Apr 2013 and 14. If you love Maui, you'd really love Tahiti. :)

Best wishes.

How rough or Cold is the pacific at this time?

We did a Mexican Riviera & the wives were bundled up on the balconies.

Thanks.......

LEFTY

We went in late March a couple of years ago out of San Pedro. The weather was cool and breezy the first couple of days out and the last couple back, but things warm after you emerge from the California Current and the weather the rest of the time was super.

We still talk about our favorite part of one of our Hawaiian cruises on RCCL when we were leaving the volcano at night and the captain spent about an hour turning the ship from port to starboard many times so all could see the lava flowing into the sea. Totally the best part of any cruise.

It is usually pretty cool usually the first two days and the last two requiring a sweater at least. But after that it warmed up in January and February when we went- warm enough for a bathing suit out at the pool. That California current creates rough waters the first day or two. It's noticeable but doesn't interfere with anything. Personally we love that part.

How glad am I that Mike & Carol replied on this thread! I have been searching for a couple of weeks to find the people who have a link address to their fantastic review of Alaska cruise which I have used to my great advantage in booking my excursions for my upcoming cruise on Century. Thank you Mike & Carol xx

To answer the original question we cruised Hawaii with NCL on Pride of America and have to say would have preferred to have flown and spent more time on Maui than on this particular ship but maybe it was the weather that was a factor

How glad am I that Mike & Carol replied on this thread! I have been searching for a couple of weeks to find the people who have a link address to their fantastic review of Alaska cruise which I have used to my great advantage in booking my excursions for my upcoming cruise on Century. Thank you Mike & Carol xx

To answer the original question we cruised Hawaii with NCL on Pride of America and have to say would have preferred to have flown and spent more time on Maui than on this particular ship but maybe it was the weather that was a factor

I am so glad that our review has helped in your planning. I agree that a cruise is probably not the best way to see the lovely Hawaiian Islands. We are taking the 15 day, since we have been to Hawaii on land vacations before and are looking forward to spending the sea days with friends that live on the other side of the country that we don't get to see very often.

If you have never been to Hawaii, all you have to go on is others opinions.

However you are NOT, them Their tastes and ideas of fun maybe totaly different from you. There is nothing better than YOUR taste as to what you like.

Now, the cruise to Hawaii give you time to get in the mood that a plane can not equal. The ship sails to the best places to allow you to sample the whole state.. In that sampling, you discover what and where you liked best. Your opinion, not anothers. Because I guarantee you that no matter what you see or how you see it , someone will tell you that you missed this or that.

They will always tell you what you should have done.. but it will be based on their taste !

Hawaii is a complex place that has a huge number of options. It is best seen in an overview prior to an indepth visit.

The 15 day cruise thus give you 5 days to anticipate and learn, 5 days of being there and 5 days back to think about what you liked.

The other option is to fly to Hawaii, take the 7 day cruise seeing everything, and then the second 7 days, go back to that place You likes best....not someone told you you would like, but from your actual experience.

Have fun

You guys make me so excited! Hawaiidan, thanks for explaining the leisurely nature of a cruise to Hawaii.

I have never been to Hawaii, and am seriously considering a Celebrity RT from San Diego in February 2013.

It sounds like absolute heaven just being on a cruise to anywhere, and with a nice overview of Hawaii in the middle, how can we go wrong?

Now to go make some money...:)

You guys make me so excited! Hawaiidan, thanks for explaining the leisurely nature of a cruise to Hawaii.

I have never been to Hawaii, and am seriously considering a Celebrity RT from San Diego in February 2013.

It sounds like absolute heaven just being on a cruise to anywhere, and with a nice overview of Hawaii in the middle, how can we go wrong?

Now to go make some money...:)

Come on the Feb 2nd Century cruise. We are going on that one. We have been to Maui several times and wanted to do something different as well.

From San Diego to Hawaii its like 5 days out and 5 days back not 3 days on the sea...so be prepared. Also you asked what can happen that is unique..last year in early OCtober the Century was called to rescue the occupants of a 47ft sail boat...some great pictures. It was a 12 hour deviation one way to carry out this rescue mission. That was pretty unique!

From San Diego to Hawaii its like 5 days out and 5 days back not 3 days on the sea...so be prepared. Also you asked what can happen that is unique..last year in early OCtober the Century was called to rescue the occupants of a 47ft sail boat...some great pictures. It was a 12 hour deviation one way to carry out this rescue mission. That was pretty unique!

Did the Century have lots of activities for those 10 sea days?

My husband and I are also trying to decide whether we should take a cruise to Hawaii, or fly there and stay at a resort.

The pro of taking a cruise to Hawaii is that it is a lot less expensive than staying at an upscale resort. It will also be easier to see more Hawaiian islands.

The negative of taking a cruise to Hawaii is that with five sea days each way, we are concerned that there won't be enough activities to keep us busy during them. However, if we sail to Hawaii on a cruise line that has a bridge program, that won't be an issue.

It essentially comes down to a matter of personal choice as to how and where you wish to spend your time and money, and how much vacation time you have available.

The 4 most common methods are:

(1) Flying both ways, for people with limited vacation time who want to spend as much time as possible in Hawaii, or for those who don't care about sea days or dislike sea days.

The main advantage, besides saving time, is that you get to choose which island/s you visit and for how long.

(2) Round trip cruises from the west coast, for those who want lots of sea days with only minimal time in Hawaii.

They are essentially long cruises out at sea that give you a brief sampling of 3 or 4 islands in the middle of the cruise.

Their biggest drawback is that once you get to Hawaii, you have no opportunity to spend any additional time there. You are stuck on a ship that spends a few days island hopping, then turns around and leaves.

You get no choice as to which islands are visited or for how long.

Even if you decide that you want to get off the ship and remain in Hawaii longer, you will not be allowed to do so for legal reasons.

(3) One-way cruises, for those who enjoy sea days but want to spend more of their vacation time in Hawaii and have freedom to choose where they spend it.

You also get the island hopping circuit on the one-way cruises, but then instead of heading right back out to sea, you get off the ship in Hawaii to spend as much additional time as you wish on whichever island/s you like.

Some people like to visit islands where the cruise ships do not go. Others return to their favorites, or visit friends.

The main drawback to the one-way cruises is that there are very few choices each year as most that are offered are segments of repositioning cruises.

(4) The Pride of America circle cruise is for those who want to maximize their time in Hawaii and cruise from island to island without any sea days. It does a seven day circuit of the four main islands, serving as a basic, floating no-frills hotel that travels at night.

This gives you the freedom to spend as much time as you wish at whichever island/s you choose before and/or after the cruise. Since it is an American flagged ship, it is not required to visit any foreign ports.

I have never cruised the islands, but have vacationed there numerous times. Since I live in Indiana, my biggest cost is flying. Because of that cost, we spend 2 weeks in Hawaii. We spend a week on one island, then a week on another. IMO, it is the only way to enjoy the uniqueness of Hawaii. Rent a car, get a good map and a good tour book, and off we go! If you have never been to Hawaii, you must do the typical toursit spots on Oahu: Pearl Harbor, Punch Bowl, Diamond Head, etc. After that, you really what to get to the other islands to truely experience Hawaii.

My opinion of a cruise to Hawaii is that it is a cruise to be chosen if your primary desire is to spend alot of time at sea, with a few nice port stops in the middle of the trip. It might be good for getting a taste of what Hawaii offers, but you already have that. If cruising is your primary objective and you like time at sea, pick the Hawaii cruise. If seeing the rest of Hawaii is your objective, IMHO fly there and island hop to a couple of different islands.

Unlike a previous poster, rough seas are exactly something I do NOT want. I have a tendency towards seasickness. I love days at sea but am concerned that if the water is rough and I have five days of cruising ahead of me without a break I may find myself ready to jump overboard. One person already gave info on their experience. To others who have done this - how did you find the seas and what month did you cruise there? I know there are no guarantees but wondering what I can expect based on average conditions.

To others who have done this - how did you find the seas and what month did you cruise there? I know there are no guarantees but wondering what I can expect based on average conditions.

We cruised round trip in Dec. one year. I would describe the seas as "rolling", not rough , but rolling - every day. There was motion and you knew you were at sea, but I wouldn't describe it as rough.

Archived