Chair Hogs

Benita

My local paper had an article today about chair hogs and a new Carnival cruise program. It was tested on one ship and they are planning to do the same on all others. A staff member will clip a paper on all chairs with towels and personal items, but no people, with the time the paper was left. If, after 40 minutes, the paper is still clipped, all personal items will be moved to a certain area where the owners can claim them - the items, not the lounge chair. The article said there have been very few problems. Maybe Oceania and other lines will do the same.

Also be aware that if you travel first or international Business on United, in many airports SEA, LAX,DEN JFK,ORD, LHR, they have a fast track line for their passengers both arriving interantional and checking in. !

The other day at LAX I arrived at 9am for a 9:45 flight, The general lines went out the door and over the bridge to the parking lot. However there were only 3 people in the UAL line. It took me 5 min street to concourse. Not an hour or so.

in truth I have never seen this as an issue on Oceania or Regent ? Other lines yes.

I have never had the problem any time of the day to sit by the pool or pop in the spa..

I think it is a function of both the ships size and passenger demographcs.

Last year on Marina I encountered a group of 5 who would place books on the chairs at breakfast time, and then not use them all morning. I removed a book after 2 hours and sat. Eventually, a man in the group came over and told me to move. When I declined he cursed me out. :mad:

It does indeed happen on Oceania

I was in the pool on an X ship and a steward was walking around, collecting things on unoccupied chairs. I motioned to him which was my chair and he gave me a thumbs up. Glad to see they were on top of chair hogs.

Last year on Marina I encountered a group of 5 who would place books on the chairs at breakfast time, and then not use them all morning. I removed a book after 2 hours and sat. Eventually, a man in the group came over and told me to move. When I declined he cursed me out. :mad:

It does indeed happen on Oceania

I guess those obnoxious sorts are on all ships, aren't they!

I guess those obnoxious sorts are on all ships, aren't they!

We've have seen this on many, MANY ships. Perhaps the worst example was on Seabourn - a couple (repeat cruisers) would stake-out a prime table (near the bar, above the pool deck) before breakfast ... leave a couple books ... and sometimes NEVER use the table during the day ... come back early evening ... sit down and have a pre-dinner drink ... pick up their things and leave. :mad:

I guess certain people feel that they OWN the entire ship. (Well ... some actually do ;))

My local paper had an article today about chair hogs and a new Carnival cruise program. It was tested on one ship and they are planning to do the same on all others. A staff member will clip a paper on all chairs with towels and personal items, but no people, with the time the paper was left. If, after 40 minutes, the paper is still clipped, all personal items will be moved to a certain area where the owners can claim them - the items, not the lounge chair. The article said there have been very few problems. Maybe Oceania and other lines will do the same.

I hope not, because 40 minutes is way too much time to give a chair hog. In 40 minutes they can go have lunch, maybe play a game of trivia, etc. The punishment is not sufficient to get them to curtail their nefarious activities.

To quote myself from five years ago "Don't let sunscreen, shoes, books, etc. keep you from choosing the lounge chair you want if there is nothing else nearby. Look around to see who is in the pool, etc. and if you don't hear anyone respond to you, take the lounge chair and ask a steward to put the stuff in their "CHAIR HOG LOST AND FOUND" area or just put it somewhere nearby yourself.

It's not OK for folks to put stuff on chairs and then say, go in and have lunch, or play trivia and then expect to get the same prized chair they "claimed" earlier."

To relate this to another topic in this forum, teenagers are especially naughty about trying to stake out a prime area for their newfound buddies.

To relate this to another topic in this forum, teenagers are especially naughty about trying to stake out a prime area for their newfound buddies.[/quote

I don't know that teenagers are any worse than anyone else. Rude people come in all age groups. However, I believe it is less likely a teenager would have the nerve to curse at someone who sat in an unused "claimed" chair than their elders (more consequences for the teenager).

I don't know that teenagers are any worse than anyone else. Rude people come in all age groups. However, I believe it is less likely a teenager would have the nerve to curse at someone who sat in an unused "claimed" chair than their elders (more consequences for the teenager).

+1,

---------------------------

Helen

To relate this to another topic in this forum, teenagers are especially naughty about trying to stake out a prime area for their newfound buddies.

I would not be so sure of that

There are many confrontational adults out there (not saying they are on O)

Children learn by example

JMO

I don't think the teenagers who try to save seats think they are being rude, while adults know that it is rude to do so.

My point is that teen-agers like to congregate together and tend to save "areas" of seats. In my many years of cruising they have never cursed at me when I told them they could not save seats (they would move right away if they were alone), but that doesn't mean that they did not try to save the seats.

If someone (of any age) were to curse at me or be otherwise confrontational when they were in the wrong for being chair hogs, I'd probably call security, which would be much more effective, I think.

As for the adults who save chairs, from my observation, many of the adults who are the age to have several children on board with them are of the generation that is less gracious themselves. I've never had a problem with the older generation. Not once, ever.

I don't think the teenagers who try to save seats think they are being rude, while adults know that it is rude to do so.

My point is that teen-agers like to congregate together and tend to save "areas" of seats. In my many years of cruising they have never cursed at me when I told them they could not save seats (they would move right away if they were alone), but that doesn't mean that they did not try to save the seats.

If someone (of any age) were to curse at me or be otherwise confrontational when they were in the wrong for being chair hogs, I'd probably call security, which would be much more effective, I think.

As for the adults who save chairs, from my observation, many of the adults who are the age to have several children on board with them are of the generation that is less gracious themselves. I've never had a problem with the older generation. Not once, ever.

I did call security..there was a book on a chair for over an hour and I moved it to the table and sat down, I was there for about 1.5 hours when a gentleman (and I use the term VERY loose) came over and started swearing at me..I didnt even answer him I asked a server to please get security and it was taken care of very quickly..

It is definitely not worth getting in to a fight over..anyway I am a lover not a fighter..LOL

Jancruz1

No one who knows Jan would ever think someone would curse her out!

I guess this guy thought he owned the chair ... having been gone for so long and expecting it STILL to be empty!

Maybe they should market inflatable deck chairs so that you can pull it out of your pocket and huff and puff, and voila! After hyperventilation, you have a lovely chair! :D

Mura

I just wrote a response to this very issue on USA Today. Here it is verbatim:

"Oh, one time I was eyeing a "saved set of chairs" for an hour from the bar, and pointed it out to the bartender and those around me how rude it was - all in agreement. I also snapped a pic with my cell phone (time stamp). Then I said, screw it and we went and nicely moved their stuff to floor and took the chairs. When they returned about 90 minutes later (an older mid-west couple) they were not happy. We pointed out the rules, and I showed them the photo I had taken about 2 hours prior and asked if we should discuss with a crew member? They grabbed their stuff and stormed off."

Point being, we live in a system of rules (it's called society). I had many many likes on this one comment indicating that chair hogs are the minority and generally disliked by most. Rudeness and selfishness, I'd like to believe, are a minority. But always a few bad apples in any bunch.

I did call security..there was a book on a chair for over an hour and I moved it to the table and sat down, I was there for about 1.5 hours when a gentleman (and I use the term VERY loose) came over and started swearing at me..I didnt even answer him I asked a server to please get security and it was taken care of very quickly..

It is definitely not worth getting in to a fight over..anyway I am a lover not a fighter..LOL

Jancruz1

Asserting rights and reminding chair hogs about proper behavior is not fighting, in my opinion. I'm glad you called security.

I did see a picture of a stuffed animal with a "chair hog" on it that a woman on another forum uses to save lounge chairs and anything else she desires. She thinks it is really cute and clever. :rolleyes:

Well, the problem with chair hogging is that it becomes behaviour that is passed on. If a person goes to the pool and sees a bunch of prime chairs reserved by stuff dropped off hours before, likely they will think that's just the way smart people do it. They'll soon catch on - get up early, and stake out chairs if you might possibly want them later.

I've decided I can't stand the stress, and certainly not on my vacation. I get a balcony, because nobody can hog my chair there.

Well, the problem with chair hogging is that it becomes behaviour that is passed on. If a person goes to the pool and sees a bunch of prime chairs reserved by stuff dropped off hours before, likely they will think that's just the way smart people do it. They'll soon catch on - get up early, and stake out chairs if you might possibly want them later.

I've decided I can't stand the stress, and certainly not on my vacation. I get a balcony, because nobody can hog my chair there.

That brings us back to an earlier thread about loungers on the balconies. Not all can afford a PH suite or above, which are the only levels that get loungers. I am still threatening to schlep aboard two lounge chairs for my category B4 balcony cabin in February. BTW - have people been able to get loungers brought to their cabin by the Oceania staff or are they still considering it a suite amenity? It would save a lot of chair hogging if people could lie out on their balconies. Before anybody brings up the cost of loungers and why it should be a fancy amenity, we don't need the fancy expensive chairs - plain old beach loungers would do, or Oceania can even charge a rental fee as do some beach resorts for balcony loungers.

That brings us back to an earlier thread about loungers on the balconies. Not all can afford a PH suite or above, which are the only levels that get loungers. I am still threatening to schlep aboard two lounge chairs for my category B4 balcony cabin in February. BTW - have people been able to get loungers brought to their cabin by the Oceania staff or are they still considering it a suite amenity? It would save a lot of chair hogging if people could lie out on their balconies. Before anybody brings up the cost of loungers and why it should be a fancy amenity, we don't need the fancy expensive chairs - plain old beach loungers would do, or Oceania can even charge a rental fee as do some beach resorts for balcony loungers.

110407.jpg

Penthouses don't have lounge chairs on their verandas, so you're comparing a B4 to an Oceania Suite or better.

o-staterooms-3d-b4.jpgo-staterooms-3d-oc.jpg

Why not? According to your signature, it's a home port cruise for you.

Those B4 balconies just cry out for lounge chairs.

I originally meant it as a joke, but if Oceania is serious about not bringing up chairs, I guess I will tote mine along. Kind of like bringing salt to a restaurant, but rather than go without this "suite amenity" I will bring it along. I threatened to do the same with a small refrigerator once, but now they are in all cabins.

Archived