Early boarding fee on Carnival - Princess far behind?

kywildcatfanone

I wouldn't pay extra for this "privilege", but I can see where some people might. When we cruised on Carnival in January, our cabin wasn't ready until after 2:00 pm. Everyone was schlepping their carry-ons around, and we felt like we couldn't really relax until we could get rid of our bags in our cabin.

We really appreciate Princess for having our cabins ready the moment we get on the ship!

I certainly hope Princess does not adopt something similar.

Those of us who are Platinum and Elite already have EARNED (or prepaid by having cruised at least 5 times or at least 50 days) priority boarding.

Those of us who are Elite have EARNED (or shall we say prepaid via multiple completed cruises totalling at least 150 days) Priority tendering.

Now there's something that they might be able to sell. Priority tendering. Say, something like $10 per person. :p

We're new to Princess, & I would pay $50 to not have to wait with the masses. Naturally, I'll happily wait, since I have to. Given a choice, it would be worth $50 to us to shorten the wait to board. There are some things I wouldn't pay extra for. Boarding a plane early is one of them. I can sit & wait to board a plane. For cruises, you have to stand in line or wait until late in the day to board. I want to get my vacation started & not wait to board at the last minute. Depending on how my health is on a given day, my knees can swell twice their size while we're waiting. I don't request handicap boarding, because many people are much worse off than I. Plus, on that particular day, I could be having a good (for me) health day. It would definitely be worth the fee for me not to risk being in misery with my knees by the time I get on the ship. Personally, I don't see things like this as nickle & dime-ing. I see it as an opportunity to pay extra for things we want & pass on those we don't. That's better than raising the base price for everyone.

We're new to Princess, & I would pay $50 to not have to wait with the masses. Naturally, I'll happily wait, since I have to. Given a choice, it would be worth $50 to us to shorten the wait to board.

I'm not certain how the Carnival system will work but would guess it's similar to the airlines where their high level FF passengers & 1st Class board first like Princess Elite/Platinum/suites. Next comes those willing to pay the airline for 'priority' boarding which is probably like those paying Carnival.

If that's how it will work & if Carnival has as many eligible for free 'priority' boarding paying won't guarantee boarding first. On Princess there can easily be 500-1000 or more 'priority' boarding passengers eligible to board first without paying so there will be a wait. I'd think that the Carnival system would put their frequent passengers ahead of those paying...just like the airlines.

It'll be interesting to read how it works because if they put those paying ahead of loyal frequent passengers I'm sure that Carnival will have many upset frequent passengers.

I'm not certain how the Carnival system will work but would guess it's similar to the airlines where their high level FF passengers & 1st Class board first like Princess Elite/Platinum/suites. Next comes those willing to pay the airline for 'priority' boarding which is probably like those paying Carnival.

If that's how it will work & if Carnival has as many eligible for free 'priority' boarding paying won't guarantee boarding first. On Princess there can easily be 500-1000 or more 'priority' boarding passengers so there will be a wait. I'd think that the Carnival system would put their frequent passengers ahead of those paying...just like the airlines.

It'll be interesting to read how it works because if they put those paying ahead of loyal frequent passengers I'm sure that Carnival will have many upset frequent passengers.

As I said I'm new to Princess, but don't those who book the Bon Voyage Experience board first? Do Elite, Platinum, & suite guests board prior to them? Whichever way it is done now, I would expect that to be how it would be handled in the future. I would think those who book BVE & those who booked the early boarding excursion would board at the same time.

As I said I'm new to Princess, but don't those who book the Bon Voyage Experience board first? Do Elite, Platinum, & suite guests board prior to them? Whichever way it is done now, I would expect that to be how it would be handled in the future. I would think those who book BVE & those who booked the early boarding excursion would board at the same time.

I haven't done the BVE but seem to recall that they board ahead of embarking passengers so you're probably correct. I don't remember how many can do the BVE but it was limited...just like the Carnival program. ;)

If that's how it will work & if Carnival has as many eligible for free 'priority' boarding paying won't guarantee boarding first. On Princess there can easily be 500-1000 or more 'priority' boarding passengers eligible to board first without paying so there will be a wait. I'd think that the Carnival system would put their frequent passengers ahead of those paying...just like the airlines.

Some of the details of how the Carnival early boarding plan will work are unknown to me. I have never cruised Carnival and have no plans to do so.

What if it was done on Princess? Hmmm! In my experience, Princess usually starts boarding between 11:30 and 12:30. Boarding starts with priority boarding for Platinum/Elite/Suite passengers. I require wheelchair assistance so I think I fit somewhere around this time. Not sure since I have not really paid attention to it, but I do get to my cabin in good time.

If passengers who pay for early boarding go next, how early is early. I have usually seen huge groups of priority boarders. I mean hundreds and hundreds of priority boarders (500-1,000 is a reasonable estimate). Remember that family and friends of Platinum/Elite/Suite passengers can join them. For a ship leaving port at 4:00 or 5:00 and everyone is required to be onboard an hour before the ship leaves, it looks like early is not so early. After priority boarding and then early boarding, all the rest of the passengers need to be boarded an hour before the ship leaves.

It will be interesting to see how all this shakes out for Carnival.

I agree with others that Princess largely already offers this (early cabin access) and that priority boarding is already extended to so many passengers via the Platinum/Elite perks. Even with a restricted number, I can't see this being viable. I'm in the priority boarding group and often there are many hundreds right there with me.

The most recent Carnival cruise I took, I had priority boarding because we got a suite. That particular day there was a problem on the previous sailing and there was a massive (outdoor) line to get into the terminal. We bypassed all those people, got into the air conditioning, where we relaxed until boarding and were able to immediately access our room. That might have been worth $50 to me if we didn't have the suite already.

Those on the BVE are the very first to board, before Platinum/Elite. However, the BVE is offered only on certain ships in a very few ports plus it's limited to 40 people per BVE. This means that you have to book it early plus all it gets you is maybe a 5-to-10-minute lead over the Platinum/Elite/full suite passengers.

In all ports, Princess Elite/Platinum/full suite passengers board early and all passengers can go directly to their cabin as soon as they board. This is what Carnival is offering for $50 so other than perhaps, priority disembarkation in tender ports, there's nothing Princess can offer that isn't already available. Plus, if you're with a group, whether or not you're Platinum/Elite, you can arrange priority tender disembarkation for your group.

As for boarding with the masses, on most of my cruises, the number of Platinum/Elite passengers with priority boarding is usually in the hundreds. Paying $50 to board with up to 500+ other people wouldn't be worth it if I weren't Elite. If you want to avoid the masses, arrive for check-in after 1pm.

I agree with others that Princess largely already offers this (early cabin access) and that priority boarding is already extended to so many passengers via the Platinum/Elite perks. Even with a restricted number, I can't see this being viable. I'm in the priority boarding group and often there are many hundreds right there with me.

The most recent Carnival cruise I took, I had priority boarding because we got a suite. That particular day there was a problem on the previous sailing and there was a massive (outdoor) line to get into the terminal. We bypassed all those people, got into the air conditioning, where we relaxed until boarding and were able to immediately access our room. That might have been worth $50 to me if we didn't have the suite already.

Does Carnival have suites?

Those on the BVE are the very first to board, before Platinum/Elite. However, the BVE is offered only on certain ships in a very few ports plus it's limited to 40 people per BVE. This means that you have to book it early plus all it gets you is maybe a 5-to-10-minute lead over the Platinum/Elite/full suite passengers.

In all ports, Princess Elite/Platinum/full suite passengers board early and all passengers can go directly to their cabin as soon as they board. This is what Carnival is offering for $50 so other than perhaps, priority disembarkation in tender ports, there's nothing Princess can offer that isn't already available. Plus, if you're with a group, whether or not you're Platinum/Elite, you can arrange priority tender disembarkation for your group.

As for boarding with the masses, on most of my cruises, the number of Platinum/Elite passengers with priority boarding is usually in the hundreds. Paying $50 to board with up to 500+ other people wouldn't be worth it if I weren't Elite. If you want to avoid the masses, arrive for check-in after 1pm.

I could be wrong, but odds are those paying extra for the excursion would board prior to elite/platinum/suite passengers, if Princess ever did this. Otherwise, no one would book it. They would realize that. On Carnival, it sounds like it will be limited as the BVE is on Princess.

Princess definitely has something to offer. They could offer an option to be first on the ship for an extra fee. Currently, this isn't available to the general public, other than those near the ports that offer BVE. If you're on a ship with a lot of elite/platinum/suite passengers, that could make a substantial difference in how long you have to wait. Most plat./elite/suite passengers probably wouldn't be interested. Although, if the Sanctuary is as much in demand on some cruises as it sounds, some who fall in that group may be willing to pay extra to board prior to all the others to assure they get a spot. For the many cruisers who don't fit in this category, it could be worth the price to board first. That would be for each individual to decide. I'm willing to bet new cruisers would be standing in line (so to speak) to book this excursion. I doubt they'd have a problem selling it.

I could be wrong, but odds are those paying extra for the excursion would board prior to elite/platinum/suite passengers, if Princess ever did this. Otherwise, no one would book it. They would realize that. On Carnival, it sounds like it will be limited as the BVE is on Princess.

Princess definitely has something to offer. They could offer an option to be first on the ship for an extra fee. Currently, this isn't available to the general public, other than those near the ports that offer BVE. If you're on a ship with a lot of elite/platinum/suite passengers, that could make a substantial difference in how long you have to wait. Most plat./elite/suite passengers probably wouldn't be interested. Although, if the Sanctuary is as much in demand on some cruises as it sounds, some who fall in that group may be willing to pay extra to board prior to all the others to assure they get a spot. For the many cruisers who don't fit in this category, it could be worth the price to board first. That would be for each individual to decide. I'm willing to bet new cruisers would be standing in line (so to speak) to book this excursion. I doubt they'd have a problem selling it.

I've taken Carnival twice; the first time I didn't have any basis for comparison, the second time I hated it. Princess is far more laid back and enjoyable for me. But yeah, for no headaches on embarkation or disembarkation day, and priority tendering, I'd pay Carnival fifty bucks to avoid the chaos.

I've taken Carnival twice; the first time I didn't have any basis for comparison, the second time I hated it. Princess is far more laid back and enjoyable for me. But yeah, for no headaches on embarkation or disembarkation day, and priority tendering, I'd pay Carnival fifty bucks to avoid the chaos.

There would probably be many people willing to pay $50 just to get on the ship first. Priority disembarkation & tendering would be an added bonus.

I certainly hope they never do this on Princess. The fact that we are forgetting is we paid for the first day of the cruise and having to pay $50 more is like double dipping. Carnival is trying to squeeze out every $$$ they can. I hope this is a failure.

I was waiting on things like this to start... I searched but didn't see it posted on the Princess forum. Anyone heard of this happening on Princess?

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/08/07/carnival-cruise-lines-to-offer-early-boarding-for-price/?intcmp=features

They are calling it an excursion: http://www.carnival.com/Activities/Excursion/101031

Mike

As others have mentioned, it's not necessary on Princess.

Are you new to Princess?

Are you new to Princess?

Well, I don't know ... I don't have any status with Princess yet (I will earn it by next year, but still). Fifty bucks meaning I get on first and most of the stress is taken out of embarkation, disembarkation, and tendering (which with lifeboat drill I take as four negatives of cruising), I can't say I'd do it but I'd give it some thought.

Are you new to Princess?

No, 12 cruises all with Princess. I started the thread just to show that cruise lines are getting creative about fees, since the airlines have made billions from it.

Also, to assume that "it's not necessary on Princess" is based upon Princess' current policy about boarding, but we all know that changes can be implemented rather quickly if there is revenue to be made.

My point is simply that the Carnival Corporation is looking for more ways to earn money, and if they are successful with this on Carnival and view it as a moneymaker, they will figure out how to implement it on other brands including Princess.

Mike

No, 12 cruises all with Princess. I started the thread just to show that cruise lines are getting creative about fees, since the airlines have made billions from it.

Also, to assume that "it's not necessary on Princess" is based upon Princess' current policy about boarding, but we all know that changes can be implemented rather quickly if there is revenue to be made.

My point is simply that the Carnival Corporation is looking for more ways to earn money, and if they are successful with this on Carnival and view it as a moneymaker, they will figure out how to implement it on other brands including Princess.

Mike

Revenue perhaps, but never will they take away priority boarding from Elites.

Well, I don't know ... I don't have any status with Princess yet (I will earn it by next year, but still). Fifty bucks meaning I get on first and most of the stress is taken out of embarkation, disembarkation, and tendering (which with lifeboat drill I take as four negatives of cruising), I can't say I'd do it but I'd give it some thought.
The point some of us are making is that even if you paid $50 to board with the Platinum/Elite, you're still boarding at the same time as hundreds of other people. There's little or no difference or benefit other than you board a few minutes before general boarding. You're still with the masses. As for priority tendering, all it does is avoid getting a tender ticket. You still get in the back of the line with the masses. After my Star cruise last March, there were so many Platinum/Elite with priority disembarkation that they had to make a second lounge available (with no coffee or anything other than a place to sit) and there were still Platinum/Elite milling around outside the lounges, unable to get in. Absolutely no benefit there.

It's a false notion that getting on or off the ship with priority at embarkation, disembarkation or tendering means you avoid crowds, stress or anxiety. This is why, IMHO, there's no benefit to Princess following suit nor would it be worth spending your money. It's nice to be able to say you have it but the reality and my personal experience says otherwise.

The point some of us are making is that even if you paid $50 to board with the Platinum/Elite, you're still boarding at the same time as hundreds of other people. There's little or no difference or benefit other than you board a few minutes before general boarding. You're still with the masses. As for priority tendering, all it does is avoid getting a tender ticket. You still get in the back of the line with the masses. After my Star cruise last March, there were so many Platinum/Elite with priority disembarkation that they had to make a second lounge available (with no coffee or anything other than a place to sit) and there were still Platinum/Elite milling around outside the lounges, unable to get in. Absolutely no benefit there.

It's a false notion that getting on or off the ship with priority at embarkation, disembarkation or tendering means you avoid crowds, stress or anxiety. This is why, IMHO, there's no benefit to Princess following suit nor would it be worth spending your money. It's nice to be able to say you have it but the reality and my personal experience says otherwise.

In which case I would say "What a waste of money" and not pay for it twice.

Revenue perhaps, but never will they take away priority boarding from Elites.

You may be right, but never say never. Besides if it should happen on Princess which I suspect is unlikely, priority boarding will stay intact with early boarding. You could still be considered as priority boarding after early boarding and before everyone else.

If Princess makes staggerd boarding a corporate wide policy, I believe there will be a lot of people willing to pay an extra $50 to get on with the first wave rather than have to wait several hour for their boarding time. Personally, if Princess were to assign me a 3:00 pm boarding time when my flight gets in at 10:00 am, I think I would be willing to pay the $50 just so I don't have to spend 5 hours looking for something to do with luggage in hand.

I don't like the idea of paying a lot of money for the cruise itself and than have to pay more just to get on board early enough to do things like making reservations for my preferred dining times at Sabatinis, booking spa services or times and stuff like that. I think if I had to choose between boarding at 3:00 pm or paying the money to board at 11:00 am, I would pay the money to get on early. Granted, I would do so while protesting very loudly but in the end I would cough up the extra fee.

Chuck & Sue Ann

"pairodocs"

Archived