Chef's table vs speciality

wallie5446

We enjoy the speciality dining, but after reading and watching a few videos about the Chef's Table we are torn. 10 people only 2 seatings per voyage, is it worth the $95 pp ( with the wine option ) vs the $25 for the speciality?

1st cruise in '87 so we know the drill! ;)

Hi There

Its not just a big meal, with good quailty food,

its an event, a show, a behind the scenes tour, a chance to meet crew

etc, as such if you have never done one its worth doing, as to doing

more well thats not such a simple question,

yours Shogun

We enjoy the speciality dining, but after reading and watching a few videos about the Chef's Table we are torn. 10 people only 2 seatings per voyage, is it worth the $95 pp ( with the wine option ) vs the $25 for the speciality?

1st cruise in '87 so we know the drill! ;)

We did the Chef's table on the Golden in January. We had a 'behind the scenes' visit in the galley, etc., and our picture taken for posterity with the Chef and support staff. Appetizers, entree and dessert were done very nicely and accompanied by good (not great) wines.

We're platinum status and would I do it again? Probably not, because if there is a Crown Grill (not Sabatini's) on your Princess ship, save the $$$ on the Chef's Table and eat at the Crown Grill a couple of times as we found the food and service absolutely stellar during our three visits! I know food is subjective but not 'food quality' and in the Crown Grill, our experience(s) was fabulous. No wonder it was booked solid every night...including senior staff/officers.

I think it's a great experience to do one time & have done it 4 times when it was $75/pp however at $190 per couple it's nothing we'll do again. While better than a MDR meal, to me it's not $190 better to do it again & I could have 4 specialty restaurant dinners for the same price.

I prefer the great experience of the Ulimate Balcony Dinner over the CT. Great service & meal on our balcony & at $100 per couple for $50 more than eating at the CG we receive nearly $100 in extras...half bottle of champagne, cocktails, roses and a photo.

I prefer the great experience of the Ulimate Balcony Dinner

I knew I left something out as we have read and watched videos about this also. We have an Aft Mini and are traveling with another couple so this may be a better option, Thanks for wakeing me up! Now I am really gonna confuse the wifester!

I knew I left something out as we have read and watched videos about this also. We have an Aft Mini and are traveling with another couple so this may be a better option, Thanks for wakeing me up! Now I am really gonna confuse the wifester!

I think it's a great option & have done it twice during an evening in port...Honolulu & Costa Rica...to minimize any potential weather issues. If you have an uncovered mini & weather becomes a problem you'll have plenty of room inside.

It's a lot of food & you can modify or add items to your meal. The service was great...they're out of sight & suddenly appear with the next course. Even a non-alcoholic specialty coffee drink is included with dessert. According to the room service managers it's generally limited to twice per evening. If interested, particularly for an evening in port, I'd recommend calling to reserve it upon boarding. Once we pre-paid which wasn't necessary because it didn't guarantee a particular day & time.

I think your 'wifester' will enjoy an UBD & it's a great way for 4 to have a great dining experience. :D

We have eaten at the Crown Grill, had the UBD and were selected for the Chef's Table (when it was $75). Full Suite passengers now have priority for the Chef's Table so it will be interesting to see how availability is for others. With the CT now at $95/person we won't do it again unless we try for selection on the new Royal to experience the Chef's Table Lumiere. One of the "problems" with the Chef's Table is that there is too much food and wine to really enjoy it all fully. For about half the cost you get impeccable service, just as good food IMHO and you can enjoy it all, or save some in your room for later. The half bottle of Champagne is very good and we opted for a glass of wine rather than a cocktail and had that later with our entree after the Champagne.

I would suggest to do the Chef's Table at least once, that is, put your name on the list and maybe you'll get lucky. You'll be sorry if you didn't try. The specialty restaurants are always available, most of the time you can just walk in or make a last minute reservation, you can always do them.

Chef's table is a must, the experience is outstanding, just to hang around the galley, talk to the Executive chef, other chefs, see the workings of the galley, have those yummy appetizers, etc. that alone is worth it, and that's before the sit down dinner.

We have one of the 12 covered balcony's on Emerald, so unless it is really a blowin a storm we will be cool!

Thanks again

That sounds like a great place for the UBD & hope you enjoy it as much as us & others who have posted enjoying it. :D

We did it 3 times when it was $75 and loved the experience (and food). But at the $95 we would not consider it unless they were serving very good wines (unlikely).

Hank

Same with us. Three cook books is enough for me.

I have done the CT 4 times so far, twice @ $75 and twice @ $90, and will probably do it again on a future cruise. Have also done the UBB twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. Plus I have dined at Sabatini's, the Crowne Grill, Sterling Steakhouse, and the Bayou Cafe.

For me the CT is a very different dining "experience", not just a meal. If your cruise budget allow for it, I say go for it at least once.

The UBB was enjoyed the morning we sailed into Hilo several years ago, and on another cruise, the morning we did scenic cruising of Tracy Arm Fjord. Simply delightful!!

I enjoy the meals in the alternative restaurants, particularly the Crowne Grill, and will likely dine in all of them again at some point.

We did the CT on the Star when it was $75 and I feel that it is an experience worth having at least once. As a previous poster mentioned, the Specialty restaurants are awesome, but always available. It wouldn't hurt to add your name to the CT list ASAP after boarding and you MIGHT get lucky and get selected. If not, try again on a future cruise until you get to do it at least once. If you are not selected, then try the UBD or UBB, also great options. Our CT experience is one both of us still talk about when we cruise, it was great.

Have a wonderful time,

Peggy

• 1 month later...
On another thread someone posted that we could 'pre-book' our UB. Does anyone know if ths is pobbible, and how to do it?

Unless it's recently changed, it's only possible to pre-pay but have to reserve a date/time onboard. Based on my experience the post on the other thread was wrong & when I asked them a month ago about it they never replied. Unless you want to pay in advance instead of onboard there's no advantage to pre-pay for it because you can't pre-reserve a date. & time. Maybe they used the wrong term saying 'pre-book' instead of 'pre-pay'?

• 2 months later...

Just back on line from our Ruby cruise.

Pre-pay must be the key, which we did. There was a card in our cabin telling us to call and tell them which night we wanted to do the UB. it was OUTSTANDING! Much better than the Crown Grill. Maybe they had an off night, but it was not as good as the main dinning room.

Our table mates did the CT, their 2nd time, and raved about it. The 2nd seating for CT was cancelled due to an outbreak of Norwak virus.

We've done it twice (paid $75 the first time and $95 the second time). We were impressed the first time as we had not experienced anything like it before. However, we thoroughly enjoyed our second time. Different chefs provide a different experience, as do the maitre d's. Of the 3 times we've called the dine line, we weren't chosen once. It's a great experience and the food is delicious.

We also visit the specialty restaurants. We budget the additional cost into our trip fund.

Archived