Oceania's Handicap-Friendliness vs Other Cruise Lines

Bashful3

Stating biases up front: I am most satisfied with Oceania except for it's

mind-blindness when it comes to being aware that there are such people

as mobility-challenged individuals, and there is a lot a cruise line could,

and should be doing to make them feel valued. Just putting that in print

makes me feel better; I've been simmering for a while.

The real focus of my discontent goes to the shore excursions. Almost all of those tours on our Panama Canal cruise were needlessly for the strong and hardy--designated as strenuous activity in most cases, and even the ones designated moderate activity were quite strenuous and difficult. But, when

I looked at the typical passenger, they looked a lot like me: over 70, using

canes or walkers. Walking up a steep long hill in the heat and humidity just to view a scenic Fort from the top? Duh. Our private tour simply pointed it out to us, with historic background.

I wrote a thoughtful letter to the new CEO after about a month at home, re-annoyed when I saw that the plans tours on our Lands of Time Barcelona-

Istanbul cruise Sept 27 were even more strenuous in designation, leave alone far more expensive in an "exclusive" version.

Not mollified with the public-relationese, albeit well written letter I received.

I had challenged the CEO to come up with a couple of new tours on the

Sept 27 tour to appeal to the significant, large market of mobiiity-challenged cohort aboard. Challenge ignored: I was assured they would

try harder when making arrangments with their shore tour operators in the next season.

OK. So, they have made a die-hard arranger of private tours in Oceania's ports out of me. Why should I complain: an easier tour, with very small

groups, for far less money, with no long lines to contend with.

But, here's my question to others who are mobililty challenged: have you experienced a more pro-active approach on the part of other cruise lines?

Another, albeit more petty example. Oceania is the first cruise line I have

booked, that neglects to reserve the front seats on it's shore excursions, as well as bus from the airport, for handicapped passengers. Sure, when I asked, they accomodated, but I had to ask every single time... Why?

I didn't take it personally, but I sure did feel invisible, or ignored. Certainly not valued.

I am not mobility challenged but I did notice many many mobility challenged passengers on our Celebrity Panama Canal cruise -- many wheelchairs, scooters, canes and few really amazing people (who inspired many of us) who were challenged, but chose not to use any form of mechanical or motorized help. I also noticed that Celebrity had numerous shore excursions specifically for those passengers.

It may have been a function of ship size (the Infinity has almost 3x as many passengers as an R ship) and itinerary. I considered the Panama Canal cruise to be particularly attractive to mobility challenged passengers because there were 6 sea days (out of 14) and the main attraction (the Canal) did not require anyone to leave the ship. That being said, I am guessing that Celebrity (from experience) expected or knew about (via the reservation process) this demographic and planned accordingly.

They did a good job.

Stating biases up front: I am most satisfied with Oceania except for it's

mind-blindness when it comes to being aware that there are such people

as mobility-challenged individuals, and there is a lot a cruise line could,

and should be doing to make them feel valued. Just putting that in print

makes me feel better; I've been simmering for a while.

The real focus of my discontent goes to the shore excursions. Almost all of those tours on our Panama Canal cruise were needlessly for the strong and hardy--designated as strenuous activity in most cases, and even the ones designated moderate activity were quite strenuous and difficult. But, when

I looked at the typical passenger, they looked a lot like me: over 70, using

canes or walkers. Walking up a steep long hill in the heat and humidity just to view a scenic Fort from the top? Duh. Our private tour simply pointed it out to us, with historic background.

I wrote a thoughtful letter to the new CEO after about a month at home, re-annoyed when I saw that the plans tours on our Lands of Time Barcelona-

Istanbul cruise Sept 27 were even more strenuous in designation, leave alone far more expensive in an "exclusive" version.

Not mollified with the public-relationese, albeit well written letter I received.

I had challenged the CEO to come up with a couple of new tours on the

Sept 27 tour to appeal to the significant, large market of mobiiity-challenged cohort aboard. Challenge ignored: I was assured they would

try harder when making arrangments with their shore tour operators in the next season.

OK. So, they have made a die-hard arranger of private tours in Oceania's ports out of me. Why should I complain: an easier tour, with very small

groups, for far less money, with no long lines to contend with.

But, here's my question to others who are mobililty challenged: have you experienced a more pro-active approach on the part of other cruise lines?

Another, albeit more petty example. Oceania is the first cruise line I have

booked, that neglects to reserve the front seats on it's shore excursions, as well as bus from the airport, for handicapped passengers. Sure, when I asked, they accomodated, but I had to ask every single time... Why?

I didn't take it personally, but I sure did feel invisible, or ignored. Certainly not valued.

My husband has mobility issues. We started cruising after he became disabled and could no longer take the extensive walking tours we use to love. I do my homework and book private tours. By communicating my husband's mobility issues and that he needs a walker to get around, we generally come up with an itinerary that takes into consideration my husband's disability and keeps fellow travelers that join our tour happy. Most of the people we have traveled with are amazed that my husband navigates through difficult areas. He knows his limits and there have been times we move on and he stays with the driver, but it was his decision. So, you may be best off joining a private tour (much cheaper for sure) that will fulfill your needs.

Saying that, I have seen the staff on Oceania carry a woman in a motorized wheelchair down the stairs and put her into a tender - then carrying her off when we reached the dock. I don't think you can ask for more.

We stopped cruising on other ships because it was impossible for my husband to get off the ship using his walker without getting knocked down by passengers rushing to get off :eek:. Enough said.

Plan your own tours or go onto your Roll Call and join a private tour. You will be amazed at how wonderful your ship mates are ;).

Ronnie

Most of the people we have traveled with are amazed that my husband navigates through difficult areas. He knows his limits and there have been times we move on and he stays with the driver, but it was his decision. So, you may be best off joining a private tour (much cheaper for sure) that will fulfill your needs.

Ronnie

YES I can attest to Ronnie's DH ability ..we had to get him to slow down so we could keep up with him ;)

Lyn

I am not as challenged as others but I do have knee problems which sometimes are more troublesome than at other times. I will say that *I* have not had problems on the few ship's tours we have taken.

Back in Nov 2005 I blew out my knee the day before boarding the ship and was using a wheel chair on board (to go to meals and get around our cabin) and on crutches when off-ship. But we'd happened to book all independent tours with a group of 8 which certainly helped. So we weren't on ship's tours at that time.

I do recall that we had a trip to Rabat and the driver/guide told me to stay in the car. Well, I wasn't about to do that! I hobbled after the group.

Had he told me WHY he'd advised me to stay behind, I probably would have. But I resented what I perceived as an attitude that "you are too slow, stay back". It turned out that we had to park a distance away from the Palace in Rabat and he was only taking the group up to look at the entrance -- we couldn't go in -- and then coming back to the car.

But I remember my BIL saying (after his stroke) how people would talk to his wife rather than to him. His brain was just fine! Some years ago a resident in our Coop was hospitalized after a bad fall, and I went to visit her as the President of the Coop. The doctor only talked to ME, and what did *I* know about her history? Her brain was fine, too.

I agree that even though the "R" ships are small, more consideration could be given to people with physical problems. And certainly the demographics are for a largely older population.

Our most recent non-Oceania cruise was in April 2010 for a TA on NCL and we didn't do any ship's tours on that cruise so I don't know if they were more accommodating or not. They did have many more people using scooters and the like than I have ever seen on Oceania cruises.

A disabled friend we met on board just loved the shower in his handicapped-accessible room. He said it was better than the one he had at home. I don't think anyone would say that about the "R"ships because I believe that the handicapped rooms have TUBS ... someone like my BIL could not have managed with a tub. I'm aware that the ships were built a while back! I'm sure that the two new ships are friendlier to those who need "handicapped accessible" rooms.

Mura

Oh, that's my real handicap--I don't 'do' bathtubs at all! (Can't get out) The regular

cabins on certain Oceania decks have showers only, and that is just fine for me.

I've never requested a handicap access room on Oceania, because it wasn't necessary.

The thing that gets me about the Oceania tours is that they don't get it--a primarily panoramic tour that doesn't involve long treks would appeal to a large swath of travelers,

not just those with major mobility issues. It's their lack of consideration, as you put it

that is maddening. We, the mobilty challenged don't even exist in their minds.

Dealing with a mobility challenged person is something new to me, and it's a learning process daily. My husband will take his cane, and hopefully use it, on the ship. He does just fine without it at home, but.... I have ordered a wheelchair for him at airports and my TA took care of it for the cruise. He is able to walk, but to walk from check-in at the airport to the gate would be quite a feat and not pleasant for him. I look at disabled people a totally different way than a couple of years ago. Wow.

I am not mobility challenged but I did notice many many mobility challenged passengers on our Celebrity Panama Canal cruise -- many wheelchairs, scooters, canes and few really amazing people (who inspired many of us) who were challenged, but chose not to use any form of mechanical or motorized help. I also noticed that Celebrity had numerous shore excursions specifically for those passengers.

It may have been a function of ship size (the Infinity has almost 3x as many passengers as an R ship) and itinerary. I considered the Panama Canal cruise to be particularly attractive to mobility challenged passengers because there were 6 sea days (out of 14) and the main attraction (the Canal) did not require anyone to leave the ship. That being said, I am guessing that Celebrity (from experience) expected or knew about (via the reservation process) this demographic and planned accordingly.

They did a good job.

Something else that Celebrity does is to set aside some really great cabins specifically for disabled passengers, including mid ship Sky Suites, Aft Concierge Class, in addition to the insides and ocean view cabins.

I may be wrong, but I don't recall Oceania having any aft cabins or suites set up for disabled passengers.

The thing that gets me about the Oceania tours is that they don't get it--a primarily panoramic tour that doesn't involve long treks would appeal to a large swath of travelers,

not just those with major mobility issues. It's their lack of consideration, as you put it

that is maddening. We, the mobilty challenged don't even exist in their minds.

I think others may agree with my recollection that I have seen very few mobility challenged cruisers on O ships. The only "reason" I can come up with that is many mobility challenged cruisers do not gravitate towards the very port intensive itineraries. They are exhausting even for those of us without mobility problems.

It's not an excuse, but it may be a reason for O not addressing the issue.

Personally, I never take ship sponsored tours and if the day comes when I have mobility problems it will be no different. Enjoy those private tours -- they are much better than anything O can offer and you can tailor to your needs.

Dealing with a mobility challenged person is something new to me, and it's a learning process daily. My husband will take his cane, and hopefully use it, on the ship. He does just fine without it at home, but.... I have ordered a wheelchair for him at airports and my TA took care of it for the cruise. He is able to walk, but to walk from check-in at the airport to the gate would be quite a feat and not pleasant for him. I look at disabled people a totally different way than a couple of years ago. Wow.

Esther, all you need to be is in a difficult situation to see everything differently. After that Nov 2005 cruise when I was using a wheelchair on board/crutches on shore, I had knee surgery. While I was recovering, I was using a cane. I could NOT get over how many people thought that my jumping in front of me (so that I couldn't delay them), that I could in turn jump out of THEIR way. (True, this was in New York City. It could be different in smaller cities.)

But I couldn't!

That was a lesson for me. I remembered when I would try to get ahead of someone who was moving slower than I wanted ... but now I make sure that I can get around them without impeding them! It's amazing how many people don't consider that a person moving slowly simply cannot jump out of your way!

Then there were the two businessmen on a tube in London who ignored me standing with my cane while they sat down. But when we left at the same station they very politely waved me ahead.

Was I impressed?

NO!

On the other hand, I didn't kick them or whomp them with my cane.

Mura

Larraine, on the Panama Canal cruise I saw so many travelers who had far more difficulty

than I with walking. This may be cruise/Time-specific; on that cruise the average age

was way up there. The difference between me and some of the mobility challenged passengers I saw is that I accept my own limitations fairly readily; I saw others in truly bad shape trying to keep up. For me it's the exciting ports that motivate me to join a cruise; I'm not someone who wants to just sit, eat and relax on a cruise.

Yes, private tours are the way to go, and I'm not sorry in a bizarre way that I was forced

into this. But, I can't excuse Oceania's dense inability to plan for stimulating shore

excursions for folks who aren't 100% fit and hearty. It's in their interest, and I can't believe the corporate brush off I got, as opposed to stepping up to my challenge and using

a little imagination. I work toward WIN WIN solutions to problems, not impasses.

Larraine, on the Panama Canal cruise I saw so many travelers who had far more difficulty

than I with walking. This may be cruise/Time-specific; on that cruise the average age

was way up there. The difference between me and some of the mobility challenged passengers I saw is that I accept my own limitations fairly readily; I saw others in truly bad shape trying to keep up. For me it's the exciting ports that motivate me to join a cruise; I'm not someone who wants to just sit, eat and relax on a cruise.

Yes, private tours are the way to go, and I'm not sorry in a bizarre way that I was forced

into this. But, I can't excuse Oceania's dense inability to plan for stimulating shore

excursions for folks who aren't 100% fit and hearty. It's in their interest, and I can't believe the corporate brush off I got, as opposed to stepping up to my challenge and using

a little imagination. I work toward WIN WIN solutions to problems, not impasses.

We are told that FDR reads these boards. Perhaps your point got through to the top. In the meantime, enjoy.

When we were on our Panama Canal trip with O, we found many much older and mobility challanged pax then on other trips. We decidied that it was US-US. No very long flights, and airports were handicapped friendly. We had no intention to take O tours--really prefer being on our own just taking in the sights. O is not the only line that doesn't save the front seats for handicapped pax. Princess and NCL didn'twhen we were on them. As our population ages and wants to stay active, we and the companies we frequent should be able to accomodate needs. Pat

On our O cruise Turkey/Greece my niece fell in Istanbul and badly sprained her ankle. She spent the rest of the trip in a wheelchair .Each time she showed up at the gangway someone and often more than one someone from the crew ran to help her. She usually was carried off like the princess that she is. I cannot fault the cruiseline in anyway for their treatment of her. Many of the issues related to the mobility challenged have to do with the destination and the availability of appropriate vehicle, I think. JMHO.

------------------

Helen

My friend, who is severly handicapped with an auto-immune disease, sails frequently on Regent. He would like to sail on O, but cannot since he has been told by both O and his TA that O's cabins are not constructed to allow for wheelchair entry and their use within the interior.

Accordingly, he has not and cannot sail on O. Perhaps others have never sailed on O because of the same issue.

My friend, who is severly handicapped with an auto-immune disease, sails frequently on Regent. He would like to sail on O, but cannot since he has been told by both O and his TA that O's cabins are not constructed to allow for wheelchair entry and their use within the interior.

Accordingly, he has not and cannot sail on O. Perhaps others have never sailed on O because of the same issue.

Even the two new ships?? I can understand the inherited older R ships not being accessible, but it's hard to believe O would build inaccessible ships.

I would get them to check the new ships ..the halls are wider & they do have H/C cabins with a balcony as well as inside & OV

Maybe he needs a new TA

On our Panama cruise on Marina there were several people in wheelchairs

The small R-ships the doors are not as wide so that may be the problem

We have seen some seats saved for H/C people on O tours but not all ..we usually do private tours or just DIY

Of course if your fellow passenger are not courteous ...so people like to be first

I was browsing through excursions for a couple of cruises last week. Just out of curiosity to see what kind of offerings there were.

I found myself frustrated because they were not organized at top-level by activity level. So if you're looking for the least strenuous excursions, the ones with a single "walking" icon, it's tough. And when I looked through perhaps a couple of dozen specific excursions, they were all at least level two (two "walking" icons.) I actually did not find a SINGLE excursion of the least strenous variety. This is anecdotal, of course, but still a bit alarming.

I was browsing through excursions for a couple of cruises last week. Just out of curiosity to see what kind of offerings there were.

I found myself frustrated because they were not organized at top-level by activity level. So if you're looking for the least strenuous excursions, the ones with a single "walking" icon, it's tough. And when I looked through perhaps a couple of dozen specific excursions, they were all at least level two (two "walking" icons.) I actually did not find a SINGLE excursion of the least strenous variety. This is anecdotal, of course, but still a bit alarming.

I fully understand the issues about accessibility and treatment on the ship. That must be addressed.

I really do not understand the concern about O excursions -- "alarming"?. First, the excursions are so overpriced as to be absurd - especially for traveling with a group of 50 of your closest friends on a huge bus. Second, anyone who has a special interest or concern (be it art history, architecture, gastronomy, antiquing, shopping or accessibility/pace) should never rely on the ship excursions. Private tours are the way to go as you can get exactly what you want.

Given that O often cancels excursions for lack of participation, I would guess it would be unwise for anyone with an accessibility/mobility issue to rely on O for their excursions, even if they want to pay a premium and travel in a large group.

I fully understand the issues about accessibility and treatment on the ship. That must be addressed.

I really do not understand the concern about O excursions -- "alarming"?. First, the excursions are so overpriced as to be absurd - especially for traveling with a group of 50 of your closest friends on a huge bus. Second, anyone who has a special interest or concern (be it art history, architecture, gastronomy, antiquing, shopping or accessibility/pace) should never rely on the ship excursions. Private tours are the way to go as you can get exactly what you want.

Given that O often cancels excursions for lack of participation, I would guess it would be unwise for anyone with an accessibility/mobility issue to rely on O for their excursions, even if they want to pay a premium and travel in a large group.

Oh. I guess I'd forgotten that Oceania veterans hate the ship's excursions. I thought that perhaps that this situation had improved, and that perhaps the excursion quality was now decent--I know I've heard over on the Regent board that both lines use the same local suppliers, and Regent excursions are of quite decent quality.

Oh. I guess I'd forgotten that Oceania veterans hate the ship's excursions. I thought that perhaps that this situation had improved, and that perhaps the excursion quality was now decent--I know I've heard over on the Regent board that both lines use the same local suppliers, and Regent excursions are of quite decent quality.

Wendy -- it has not improved. It has gotten worse. It is not even about quality. It is about paying a fortune to be a with mob on a big bus and doing whatever the cruise line dictates and having no control over who the guide is and where you go.

I was just on a 16 day cruise on the Nautica in May where we did all our own fabulous excursions. We could not believe O's prices -- hundreds of dollars per person for excursions that we planned for 75-80 per person -- with only 6 - 8 people, going where we wanted to go on our own time with a private guide (examples -- Bordeaux wineries, Mt St. Michel, Santiago de Compostela). We met some first time O cruisers who did not know about CC or how to arrange private excursions and they were pretty upset, having paid thousands of dollars additional to book O excursions in the ports.

I love O -- it is by far my favorite cruise line -- but the excursions are a huge ripoff. I bet O is making a fortune on the excursions. I have a 21 day cruise Dubai to Rome for April 2013 and all my excursions are already booked (all private). IMO only way to go. (I've done the same for my Azamara cruise next August as well).

That is probably a function of the part of the World where you are travelling, Wendy. Let's face it, sightseeing in Europe requires a LOT MORE WALKING than we sedentary Americans are used to.

Many times, the distances, or the terrain, although beautiful- are almost comically difficult.

st+paul+de+vence1.jpgeze-view.jpg

That is probably a function of the part of the World where you are travelling, Wendy. Let's face it, sightseeing in Europe requires a LOT MORE WALKING than we sedentary Americans are used to.

Many times, the distances, or the terrain, although beautiful- are almost comically difficult.

st+paul+de+vence1.jpgeze-view.jpg

Those photos say it all -- it is why my husband and I are traveling like maniacs now (3 major trips a year) -- while we still can negotiate those ridiculous steps and hills. I made it to the top of Mt. St. Michel -- he quit after 3/4 of the way up -- he and a friend had had enough. The clock is ticking . . . .

Unfortunately, in some locations it may be impossible to arrange a tour that truly accommodates the mobility challenged passenger, other than a drive by photo shoot.

Archived