More Venice Questions

ssawjo

Hello All, I have noticed that most of the transportation questions regarding Venice are from the airport to the cruise terminal or to a hotel from the airport. So, I am very confused.

We are arriving at 4AM on the Pacific Princess on Sept. 9. I am sure that they wouldn't be kicking us off at that time. Anyway, we are staying at a hotel which is between Rialto and St. Marks Plaza. We will have two large suitcases (yeah, I know, overpacking but this is at the end of a 12 day cruise with Athens at the start) and one carry on and a CPAP.

Question: What is the best way to get to the hotel from the cruise terminal? I am more than willing to buy a vaporetta ticket(s) or the other way, the Alliguana (sic). A private water taxi seems to be very pricey. I am thinking getting off at Rialto is the best because I do not see any bridges from there to the hotel.

Question 2: Now, how best to get to the airport. Our plane leaves at 1040 hours for Frankfurt on LH. The other boards have stated that the airport is a zoo at best. The alliguana runs there and appears convenient but it starts late and takes a while to get there on the blue or orange lines. Suggestions, please.

Thank you in advance and sorry about my spelling.

Bill

Based on what you have stated, my opinion is that you will want to spend the extra money on a water taxi. Yes it costs more, but with your hotel choice and the amount of stuff you are packing, it may be easily well worth it.

If you choose to pick a cheaper method, Just keep telling yourself how much money you are saving as you pack your stuff from the ship to the hotel and from the hotel to an Alilaguna water bus.

BTW Who picked your hotel anyway? On the website http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/, Making a hotel selection like this is the #1 mistake that cruise visitors make.

Bill,

Keep in mind that you cannot take a vaporetto from the cruise port (you can catch the Alilaguna Blue Line) so if you want to take a vaporetto to the Rialto stop you will first have to walk to the People Mover station (this can be a few hundred yards depending on your starting point in the port) and take the People Mover over to the Pizzale Roma. Once off the People Mover you will need to walk across the square to the ACTV (vaporetto) docks. On the other hand, if you arrange for a private water bus to get you at the port and take you to your hotel (assuming it has its own dock) you will pay approxmiately 80 Euros (you can arrange this online). To us, the key to getting out to Marco Polo Airport is to get to the P. Roma (which is why we like to stay at Ca Doge). From the P. Roma you can take the very nice and fast ATVO express bus (they have plenty of free luggage storage space under the bus). The alternative is to take a taxi from the P. Roma which will cost about 40-45 Euros. It is also possible to get there on the Alilaguna, but once you are on the proper boat it takes about an hour to get you to the airport and then you still have a long walk from the pier up to the terminal building.

Hank

P.S. Some might argue that the Santa Marta vaporetto stop is technically in the maritima port and this is somewhat true. But unless you are in one of the rare ships that dock at Santa Marta this vaporetto stop is not convenient from inside the port

Hello All, I have noticed that most of the transportation questions regarding Venice are from the airport to the cruise terminal or to a hotel from the airport. So, I am very confused.

We are arriving at 4AM on the Pacific Princess on Sept. 9. I am sure that they wouldn't be kicking us off at that time. Anyway, we are staying at a hotel which is between Rialto and St. Marks Plaza. We will have two large suitcases (yeah, I know, overpacking but this is at the end of a 12 day cruise with Athens at the start) and one carry on and a CPAP.

Question: What is the best way to get to the hotel from the cruise terminal? I am more than willing to buy a vaporetta ticket(s) or the other way, the Alliguana (sic). A private water taxi seems to be very pricey. I am thinking getting off at Rialto is the best because I do not see any bridges from there to the hotel.

Question 2: Now, how best to get to the airport. Our plane leaves at 1040 hours for Frankfurt on LH. The other boards have stated that the airport is a zoo at best. The alliguana runs there and appears convenient but it starts late and takes a while to get there on the blue or orange lines. Suggestions, please.

Thank you in advance and sorry about my spelling.

e

Bill

Do yourself a favor. Water taxi both easy. You can almost always find someone to share with. They are like limos and easily hold 6.

Thanks for sharing this link. We are hoping to sail from Venice next year.

We are flying to Venice arriving a week from tomorrow for a couple of days before boarding the Ruby Princess. Never having been there before, I used the information on that website along with some information from some more experienced (with Europe and Venice in particular) posters here on CC to select the Olimpia Hotel which is an easy and short walk from Piazzale Roma. We are taking the ATVO express bus from the airport to P Roma. I booked through the Best Western website and confirmed directly with the hotel via email.

Any reason to take ALL the luggage to your hotel? I assume you'll only be there for 1 or 2 nights, so just put what you need in the carryon and leave the rest at the Left Luggage facilty at Piazzale Roma. The fee is 5E per bag per day. Or take 1 large case plus the CPAP. Whatever combination you're comfortable with.

You will walk from your ship to the People Mover, take it to PRoma where you'll find the Left Luggage facility, Cooperativa Transbaglia. Then walk across the square and you're at the Grand Canal and a vaporetto stop. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-left-luggage.htm

When it's time to go the airport, collect your luggage (give yourself time in case there's a line) then catch the ATVO airport express bus. It leaves from the square so very convenient. A greyhound style bus with a luggage hold below. A 20 minute ride, 7E. It leaves twice an hr. For a 1040 flight to the US catch the 7:20 or 7:50 bus. http://www.atvo.it/index.php?lang=en&area=23&menuid=35&view_pc=!

The other option is to change hotels. Find something close to Piazzale Roma so you don't have to deal with your luggage. Like the Olimpia, Ca Doge, Santa Chiara, Sofitel.

Any reason to take ALL the luggage to your hotel? I assume you'll only be there for 1 or 2 nights, so just put what you need in the carryon and leave the rest at the Left Luggage facilty at Piazzale Roma. The fee is 5E per bag per day. Or take 1 large case plus the CPAP. Whatever combination you're comfortable with.

You will walk from your ship to the People Mover, take it to PRoma where you'll find the Left Luggage facility, Cooperativa Transbaglia. Then walk across the square and you're at the Grand Canal and a vaporetto stop. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-left-luggage.htm

When it's time to go the airport, collect your luggage (give yourself time in case there's a line) then catch the ATVO airport express bus. It leaves from the square so very convenient. A greyhound style bus with a luggage hold below. A 20 minute ride, 7E. It leaves twice an hr. For a 1040 flight to the US catch the 7:20 or 7:50 bus. http://www.atvo.it/index.php?lang=en&area=23&menuid=35&view_pc=!

The other option is to change hotels. Find something close to Piazzale Roma so you don't have to deal with your luggage. Like the Olimpia, Ca Doge, Santa Chiara, Sofitel.

Mapleleaves,

Excellent ideas. Never thought about leaving luggage there. We will be in Venice for three nights, so one large bag. I am looking to change the hotel. But, if not, I will leave luggage there and take the ATVO bus. That appears to be the best solution. Thank you.

Bill

A few more hotels in the PRoma area. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

Some require 1 or 2 bridge crossings but if you have wheeled luggage you'll probably be ok. They're within 7=8 minutes walk of the square. Just don't choose a hotel on the other side of the Canal from the PRoma. The Calatrava Bridge is tough.

Another good site is www.venere.com/venice Use the map feature to limit your search to the P Roma area.

I want to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. We changed hotels and will be staying at the BW Hotel Olimpia. Fortunately, we both like to walk, and Venice is a walking city, and ride on boats.

Now, any good restaurant suggestions that are nearby?

Thanks,

Bill

I want to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. We changed hotels and will be staying at the BW Hotel Olimpia. Fortunately, we both like to walk, and Venice is a walking city, and ride on boats.

Now, any good restaurant suggestions that are nearby?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

We stayed at the Olimpia in May before and after our cruise and it worked well for getting around. They will hold your bags for the morning and you can go sightseeing then come back and check in. You can catch the vaporetto close by and see all the sights. Plus it is actually an enjoyable walk back for the main tourist areas (if you are rested :)) if you want to walk. Also, I don't know about your cruise line but when we disembarked on Royal Caribbean, they had a shuttle bus that took us over to the People Mover which came in handy.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

We are arriving in Venice after our cruise and spending a few days. We have a list on our roll call of those who want to share water taxis and the hotel everyone will be staying so we can group up together. We do have some questions:

1. How many people can easily fit on a water taxi, along with the luggage?

2. Do the water taxi's pick us up at the pier or do we have to take the people mover to get to the taxis?

3. Is it best to pre-book the taxi or are they waiting at the pier to take people?

4. If we pre-book, is there a particular taxi services we should go with that is honest?

Thanks for any feedback.

1. How many people can easily fit on a water taxi, along with the luggage?

2. Do the water taxi's pick us up at the pier or do we have to take the people mover to get to the taxis?

3. Is it best to pre-book the taxi or are they waiting at the pier to take people?

4. If we pre-book, is there a particular taxi services we should go with that is honest?

We put fifteen people in two water taxis; however, we only had luggage for a two night stay. I would say you can count on six people with luggage per boat.

You can see on the terminal map that the water taxis come to the cruise port: http://www.vtp.it/terminal/crociere.jsp

The cruise port's web site lists several different water taxi companies. I don't know which one we used, but you can contact them for quotes: http://www.vtp.it/terminal/crociere.jsp?idm=6Z49EH1157271R175I5950NRRUYWVRS3&prg=3&page_2=3

Venice is a maze and even if someone gives you the name of a restaurant- it will be hard to find. I recommend avoiding restaurants around the Rialto Bridge or in St. Mark's Square. The best food I had was in the little canals or outside of these areas. Look for one's where the locals appear to be dining.

You can always get pasta in any of the restaurants and it is usually really good but in Venice the people tend to eat seafood and fish. These are their specialties.

I have eaten at the famed "Do Forni" It is a little hard to find and it was expensive. There is no view and for me- it was not a place I'd go back to. I like sitting outside or along a canal.

We put fifteen people in two water taxis; however, we only had luggage for a two night stay. I would say you can count on six people with luggage per boat.

You can see on the terminal map that the water taxis come to the cruise port: http://www.vtp.it/terminal/crociere.jsp

The cruise port's web site lists several different water taxi companies. I don't know which one we used, but you can contact them for quotes: http://www.vtp.it/terminal/crociere.jsp?idm=6Z49EH1157271R175I5950NRRUYWVRS3&prg=3&page_2=3

Thank you. I will contact the different companies to check on the prices.

Archived