New to cruising, new to cruise critic. question about cabins

camptalcott

Hello All,

Thanks for welcoming me to cruise critics. So as I said in my title we are a family of 4 who has never cruised before. My husband and I have 2 teen sons and we're looking at trying a cruise next year.

First question is about cabins. I've been browsing some cruise line websites RC, NCL and disney. they offer family suites. Can family suites hold 4 people when 2 of them are teens (16 & 18) or is it better to get 2 seperate cabins.

Thanks,

Camp

Hello All,

Thanks for welcoming me to cruise critics. So as I said in my title we are a family of 4 who has never cruised before. My husband and I have 2 teen sons and we're looking at trying a cruise next year.

First question is about cabins. I've been browsing some cruise line websites RC, NCL and disney. they offer family suites. Can family suites hold 4 people when 2 of them are teens (16 & 18) or is it better to get 2 seperate cabins.

Thanks,

Camp

Welcome to cruise critic. My wife and I cruise with our teens as well, a 17 yr old boy and a 14 year old girl. We have been on Carnival and NCL with them. We just got off the NCL Dawn on 8/10 and stayed in the family suites on deck 12. This is one very large cabin, a queen/king bed, pullout couch, and a murphy bed. It was plenty big for us. The bathroom is huge with 2 sinks, a tub, and a separate shower. There were 4 closets, a dining table, and the best lavazza espresso machine in the suite:). These suites are offered on the NCL Dawn and the NCL Star, some have a balcony and other a wall of windows letting in plenty of sunlight.

The 2 bedroom/2bathroom suites are our personal favorite cabin. These are on deck 11 on the Dawn, Star, Jewel, Pearl, Jade, and Gem. They have tons of space for a family. There is a living/dining area with a balcony. The master bedroom/bathroom is amazing. There are 4 TV's in this suite. There are a few newer ships that offer the Haven. The Haven offers the same type cabin and this also has a pool/lounge area exclusive to those staying in the Haven suites.

There are also family suite accommodations on the Epic. The Breakaway will feature them as well when this new ship comes out next spring.

The suite life on NCL offers butler service for your in-suite dining needs, concierge service for booking reservations in the many restaurants, and a special location for suite passenger breakfast and lunch. There is also a section in the theater reserved for suite passengers. The concierge will let you in to this area before the show. There is also early debarkation in port and ability to get on the first tender to shore when tendering in port. These are nice perks to have and make the NCL suite experience much better than the suite experience on Carnival.

I hope that this was helpful in giving you an overview of the NCL suite life for families. I am happy to answer any questions.

Ship cabins are much smaller than standard hotel rooms. I would NEVER put 4 adult-sized people in one cabin. There are some "family" suites and 2 bedroom suites on most ships, but they are quite pricey.

Check the prices for 2 cabins....they don't HAVE to be connecting with older kids, but nearby (think next door or across the hall) is best. That way, everyone has their own space and bathroom. And, don't forget about the privacy factor! Cruising is sexy...you will want some space and time to yourselves!!!! If the ship has it, get a balcony for you and an inside across the hall for the kids! Cheaper that way, and they don't care...kids are out and about...they only sleep in the cabin!

I like the idea of the parents having a cabin with a large balcony for all to share and the teens to have an inside cabin across the hall. But do keep tabs on their behavior so as not to offend or disturb other passengers.

~Doris~

I like the idea of the parents having a cabin with a large balcony for all to share and the teens to have an inside cabin across the hall. But do keep tabs on their behavior so as not to offend or disturb other passengers.

~Doris~

We did this with our kids. Reasons: Privacy (ours), and two bathrooms. If you go this route, do set up rules beforehand.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

What is "better" would depend on your own budget and comfort level.

The layout of family suite accommodations can vary from ship to ship.

Regardless of whether you book a family suite or regular separate cabins, most would prefer to have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms for 2 adults and 2 teens.

That way you all have privacy when you want it, together time when you want it, an extra TV as well as the extra bathroom, you are not stepping all over each other, everyone gets a comfortable bed and nobody needs to sleep on a couch.

On the other hand, if yours is the type of family that goes camping and is accustomed to having everybody sleep in one tent or trailer, you may be fine with 4 people sharing one room and one bathroom on a cruise ship.

Some families enjoy doing that, while others would rather stay home than spend a vacation that way. :D

Good advice on 2 cabins. We always got our 3 teen boys an inside across from us. You will like it far more, and so will your teens. We did stuff as a family, and kept close tabs on the boys, but we all enjoyed the separate space and privacy. It is a vacation for all, and we did not expect the guys to keep our hours, or watch the same tv shows. In one cabin my wife would have been in constant 'mom' mode every time one of the boys left clothes on the floor or left the lid up, or..... Un-needed stress for all (especially dear old dad, aka, me).

Agreed, if you can swing it and are comfortable with it, go for the 2 cabins. We have been doing this for a number of years, just makes the whole trip much more enjoyable.

As others have said set rules for your teens prior to boarding and enforce them. Our feeling is if we are taking our kids on a nice trip like this they better behave or they will stay home next time. They like cruising enough to follow the rules and it is a very enjoyable trip for all of us.

Welcome to CC,

As others have noted most cabins are very small, while almost all ships offer standard cabins that sleep 4 ans well as larger "suites" etc. They will all be smaller than any hotel room you are custom to.

Disney is likely the most expensive followed by RCCL with NCL, Carnival and Princess cheaper.

We sail often 5 to 8 people, often book a couple inside for 3+ and have had a good time. It comes down to value and how much space you gotta have. We enjoy most of our time outside the cabin so rarely spluge on cabin for size/views, for others the cabin is a priority. If you are one that has to have the hotel room with balcony and ocean view than you probably will need a more premium cabin to be happy. If you are a value family than for your first cruise you might give an inside a go, but they are small and are really two bunks and two singles with only enough room to sand up in if everyone is in at the same time.

Happy planning!

Hello All,

Thanks,

Camp

If you all do end up in one cabin, sharing one bathroom, the showers in the gym/spa area are really nice on most ships, and could be useful on those nights when everyone is rushing to get ready for dinner.

Good point. Also ships have lots of public bathrooms, which might prove useful in an emergency when the cabin bathroom is occupied.

Hello All,

Thanks,

Camp

I would suggest 2 separate rooms across from each other. You & hubby have the balcony & the boys in the inside cabin. I found it to be more cost effective. Also, you will need to discuss the Sign & Sail with them. They can be issued their own cards, but I would suggest that they contribute to their spending money on that card. Teens can, but not always, be irresponsible, and think that there is never ending available cash for them.

Archived