Prescription Meds

shera1209

Off to a Viking river cruise in China with three weeks if pills in seven day pill cases.

I will let people know if I get in trouble.

No problems with six seven day containers in one carry on with TSA in LAX, customs in Singapore, Security inter China flight twice, Security in Beijing, US customs in Vancouver.

So far no one has said that they were arrested because they had pills in seven days cases.

No problems with six seven day containers in one carry on with TSA in LAX, customs in Singapore, Security inter China flight twice, Security in Beijing, US customs in Vancouver.

So far no one has said that they were arrested because they had pills in seven days cases.

I would be more concerned with being hassled or delayed than with being arrested. (Same reason I don't smuggle booze on the ship really, I don't want to give anyone the opportunity to take away one minute of my vacation:).)

Those of you who think it's perfectly OK to take medications on an international trip in something other than their original prescription bottles might want to try to contemplate why the State Department advises otherwise.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1747.html

...To avoid problems when passing through customs, keep medicines in their original, labeled containers. Bring copies of your prescriptions and the generic names for the drugs. If a medication is unusual or contains narcotics, carry a letter from your doctor attesting to your need to take the drug. If you have any doubt about the legality of carrying a certain drug into a country, consult the embassy or consulate of that country before you travel...

Just because you haven't had a problem so far doesn't mean that you might not have one in the future. If you're unlucky enough to have your possessions subjected to a full customs search you could be facing a problem.

We had a customs searc of our luggage upon our return from Amsterdam. I had a week's worth of the pill packets so expected the officer to ask about them or to at least look at the Rx copies. Nope. He simply moved the ziplock bag of pill packets aside with clothes as he searched under them to the bottom of the backpack and then replaced everything, including the ziplock bag of pill packets.

I think Customs is looking for hidden drugs, not obvious meds.

We had a customs searc of our luggage upon our return from Amsterdam. I had a week's worth of the pill packets so expected the officer to ask about them or to at least look at the Rx copies. Nope. He simply moved the ziplock bag of pill packets aside with clothes as he searched under them to the bottom of the backpack and then replaced everything, including the ziplock bag of pill packets.

I think Customs is looking for hidden drugs, not obvious meds.

And I've read reports here of unlabeled medications being seized. The fact that they didn't care in your case doesn't mean that they won't care in someone else's case. Customs officials have the right to seize unlabeled medications if they so choose. That's why the State Department recommends you keep your medications containers in original labeled containers. It's not like I'm making this stuff up, or it's just my personal opinion...it's the State Department's recommendation and they've made it for a reason.

Just because you didn't get a traffic ticket the last time you were speeding doesn't mean you won't get one the next time.

Edited by njhorseman

• 1 year later...

I'm going on the Pearl to Alaska, I have to take several medications 3 ties a day. Some are prescription some are over the couter. Do I need to bring them in the original bottle or can I bring my 7 day pill dispenser? Also do I pack them in my carry on or in my checked luggage? I'm going Sept 14 so I need to get this figured out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm going on the Pearl to Alaska, I have to take several medications 3 ties a day. Some are prescription some are over the couter. Do I need to bring them in the original bottle or can I bring my 7 day pill dispenser? Also do I pack them in my carry on or in my checked luggage? I'm going Sept 14 so I need to get this figured out.

You can take your dispenser, but if it was me, I'd bring it empty and fill it from the original containers only once onboard.

Also never ever put your medication to your checked luggage if you can't live without them - it is not unusual for people to have to go the whole cruise without their luggage if things go SNAFU. (We saw this happen on our recent reposition cruise where due to a miscommunication luggage of fellow passengers doing B2B - but changing their suite in between - was unloaded from the ship before the second leg, and because of the repo itinerary and holidays in ports of call it took almost a week for NCL to be able to get the luggage back onboard).

Security was all over me for the two containers I had in my carry on that they noticed on the Xray machine. One was an antibiotic, and the other was Vicodin. They checked both bottles out for my name etc, asked me what they were for. This was at the Black Falcon Terminal in Boston.

Assuming that the security employees were not law enforcement officers, I would have told them it was none of their business. If they want to get DEA or local law involved, that's up to them but in the meantime as they are not your doctor, they have no legal right to ask you what the medication is for. Not sure but that may even be a HIPAA violation.

It's the same thing with the TSA at the airport. If you take a bottle of water through security because you have a medical condition, they cannot ask you what the condition is. Well, I suppose they can ask but they are not supposed to and you have no obligation to answer. Their job is simply to test the bottle and as long as it passes give it back to you and send you on your way.

It's best to take them in the original containers with the RX number. And oc meds in their original containers. Because they do confiscate sometimes, or it takes for ever to verify your medications. It's best just to leave them in their containers and dispense into your weekly container ones aboard

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always travel with the original containers. They take up so little space so I feel its better safe than sorry.

Here in Canada we can get codeine over the counter but in the US it is a controlled drug. We also get back pills over the counter here but in the US it is only available by script. When I travel I get the Dr to write a script for these so I they can be put in a bottle with my name on them. There are over the counter meds that are available in the US that might be a controlled substance in Canada.

It just takes one police officer or other official to follow the rules and you can find yourself in a world of hurt.

I've traveled all over the world with my meds in the little plastic cases. Never been questioned. But I know that the next time it could be totally different. The only exception is my Ambien. That stays in its original container especially since I don't take it every night.

My brother has been a paramedic and a Life Flight EMT for many years. He recommends you keep a slip of paper, or maybe on your phone these days, where it can be easily found with all your meds listed, including dosages, any allergies you have and also your current weight (no fibbing). He says many meds they administer are given based on the weight of the patient. I'm sure they don't rely completely on what is listed, but it is a starting point. He also says you should list your family physician and their phone number.

I plan on using a pill container to save room but I did use my phone to take a picture of the Rx bottles. Just shows them that I am on prescribed meds.

Clever idea :)

But you also might want to print those, and keep a paper copy with you, in case you are ever questioned, and a cell signal isn't quite there.

We get the smallest bottles the pharmacy has, each with the regular label per Rx printed and attached to each bottle.

IF there is more than would fit any bottle for the duration of the trip PLUS several days "just in case", we put those together in a larger Rx bottle. We figure that ALL of the pills in there will be exact matches to the meds in the small labeled bottles.

We also carry a letter on physician letterhead for anything that might be questioned (pain medication, anything injectable - insulin, epipens, etc.) with the name of the medication and the fact that the physician did indeed prescribe it for <name>, and that it is *necessary* to keep on hand.

Annoying, but hopefully if questioned, it would save some time and, especially important, avoid having anything confiscated.

In reality, even traveling with such meds, we've never been questioned, including when TSA *did* in fact do an extremely thorough search of my carry on bag and purse. (I still don't know what "profile" I triggered, or if it was truly random.)

But as has been pointed out, it might be at Customs/Immigration (in the USA or elsewhere) that this might be more of a problem. We've never been bothered there, either.

GeezerCouple

customs does care, if you are traveling Internationally you should carry them in the orginal bottles.

Been thru customs many times with daily pills in a little daily med bag and have never had a problem in the last 8 years.

Been thru customs many times with daily pills in a little daily med bag and have never had a problem in the last 8 years.

I do however carry a list of all med and does with me in case of accident or hospitalization.

A lot of talk about international travel going on... BUT keep in mind a lot of STATE law requires prescription drugs to be stored in their original containers. If a person is caught with prescription drugs in ANYTHING other than their original container, they could be arrested. In NY, for example, you could be arrested for Criminal possession of a controlled substance. Just a heads up....

And I've violated the speed limit almost every day for the past eight years without getting a ticket, but tomorrow I might get one.

Not having had a problem in the past doesn't mean you might not have one in the future.

And i've violated the speed limit almost every day for the past eight years without getting a ticket, but tomorrow i might get one.

Not having had a problem in the past doesn't mean you might not have one in the future.

Bingo!

Edited by bbryan5

Can anyone tell me why a bottle with the prescription on it means it is OK?

Anyone can print a label at home now a days.

If I were a customs person I would be very suspect of bottles of drugs. What about vitamins or other non prescription? Those could hide illegal drugs.

I have never heard of anyone having there medicine taken away because they had a supply in the seven day containers. That includes anyone on CC has never had them taken away.

The being said, I would be very careful with opiate type drugs and only have what is needed and a prescription with you. .

Laws vary by country, but the core requirements are based upon a UN treaty.

As far as the US from help.cbp.gov (one could probably spend some time and find the actual regulation)

Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S.

A very good source of information is

INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANCE TO TRAVELLERS

http://www.iamat.org/index.cfm

They have an article about how to travel with medications.

http://www.iamat.org/pdf/elibrary/Travelling%20with%20Medications.pdf

Travelling with medicines checklist:

Check the INCB Guidelines if travelling with medications that are narcotics or psychotropics.

Be aware of medications with potential for abuse (e.g. anabolic steroids).

Be aware that many countries permit taking only a 30-day supply of certain medicines and require carrying a prescription or an import license certificate.

Keep the tablets together with the original packaging and information leaflet. Carry a copy of your prescription, particularly for prescribed medicines that act on the Central Nervous System.

Sorry I must've missed read. I don't know the reasoning but they did tell my mother at the airport that she had to have medication in medicine bottles with the RX number. Don't know if it's because she had so many but I do know that that happened nov. 2012. Could be because it was a small airport in Arkansas. I just don't know why. And I'm very sorry for the misinformation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were never arrested or anything like that, but I had Australian customs take away my daughter's EpiPen because her name was spelled differently on her passport and the prescription label (long story, misspelled name on birth cert, took 6 years to change in courts). Thank goodness we had mine in case of emergency for the rest of the trip!

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

now that is a really egghole customs official.