Royal float-out is Aug. 16

vancruisr

Italian press is reporting Royal Princess' float-out from the drydock is Aug. 16. The traditional ceremony where coins are welded to the base of the mast will be held a day or two before.

The article also reports that the Royal's sister ship (Regal Princess?) will be laid down this fall, perhaps as soon as September.

If you can read Italian or want to use a translator, here is the link: http://ilpiccolo.gelocal.it/cronaca/2012/08/05/news/royal-princess-pronta-per-il-battesimo-del-mare-1.5501172

I don't speak Italian, but this is the Google Translate version of the article.

"Ten months after the laying of the first block in the basin, in October last year, the "Royal Princess", the first of two twin-prototype for Princess Cruises (Carnival Group), is ready to technical launch. The brief ceremony, with which the valves are opened "barcaporta" when they enter the water in the basin, is scheduled for August 16. A few days before you will also "coin ceremony", in which a coin "luck" is welded to the base of the mast, now traditional operation performed by a senior representative of the shipping company.

The new units under construction in the establishment of Panzano is the flagship of the Princess fleet. Not only that, with 141mila gross tons - 11 thousand more than the Carnival Breeze delivered at the end of May - and a capacity of 3,600 passengers will, together with her sister ship, the largest ever built by Fincantieri passengers. A response to the crisis in the world market, in which a segment that shows a certain openness is precisely that of larger vessels.

The delivery of two prototype units is provided for in the spring of next year and for that of 2014. The setting of the second will not happen anyway after the exit from the basin of the "Royal" but at the beginning of autumn, perhaps as early as September."

"Returning to the "Royal Princess" and his future mate, just as prototype units will be among the most exclusive and innovative in the world, starting with the design and completely revamped in order to create a "product" of a higher category. In this perspective, all outside cabins have private balconies (80% of total). They were then enlarged and enriched the central atrium, the spa and restaurants.

The two units, in short, to the innovative layout, high performance and high quality technical solutions represent a new technological reference point in Europe and worldwide.

Several principles that inspired the project, beginning with a different approach that involved the insertion of new solutions without increasing the complexity and cost of the "product" ship. The two Princess will then be able to adapt to all types of cruise, from those in the seas Alaska to those along Australia.

Great attention has been paid to energy saving, both on the economy of operation of the ship and on that of reducing emissions to air and water, protecting the environment."

Thank you for translating that for us, I wonder if there will be a video of this somewhere, so we can see what happens.:)

If not a video, I'm sure Princess will be posting pictures at the very least. The float-out will definitely involve Mr. Buckelew and possibly Micky Arison.

Hmmm... this video implies that the ship is already floating...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCMw7nrGEq0

The title of this video either has the wrong date (March 30, 2012) or the wrong ship because it says "ROYAL PRINCESS (part of it) - FLOATING - Monfalcone Shipyard 30.3.2012" or am I missing something? :confused:

The title of this video either has the wrong date (March 30, 2012) or the wrong ship because it says "ROYAL PRINCESS (part of it) - FLOATING - Monfalcone Shipyard 30.3.2012" or am I missing something? :confused:

Dunno... I googled "Royal Princess float out" and that link was at the top of the list.

That video is the Royal, as she was floated out at the end of March because Carnival Breeze went into the drydock for work on April 1st. Shortly thereafter she went back into her place in drydock and construction continued. Now she is complete and will again leave the drydock, this time as a whole ship...

That video is the Royal, as she was floated out at the end of March because Carnival Breeze went into the drydock for work on April 1st. Shortly thereafter she went back into her place in drydock and construction continued. Now she is complete and will again leave the drydock, this time as a whole ship...

Well, that explains that...:)

Absolutely incredible how far along they are.

I think at this point it's basically a steel shell. None of the cabins appear to be inserted, I'm sure all of the public spaces are basically bare metal with electrical and duct work exposed, and the upper decks void of anything recognizable other than holes that look like a pool. Interesting shot of the funnel and it's inner workings:

7797601714_46c367f7b5_b.jpg

Archived