LA-Hawaii Cruise -- sea conditions?

fairsky1984

So I finally decided to give the Hawaii trans-Pacific cruise a try. I've always been concerned about the sea conditions, mainly in winter as this cruise is in December. Any experienced mainland-to-Hawaii cruisers out there? I realize weather/sea are up to Mother Nature, but any input greatly appreciated .

So I finally decided to give the Hawaii trans-Pacific cruise a try. I've always been concerned about the sea conditions, mainly in winter as this cruise is in December. Any experienced mainland-to-Hawaii cruisers out there? I realize weather/sea are up to Mother Nature, but any input greatly appreciated .

Our winter on the west coast starts in Dec and runs through Mar and rain is always possibility as storm fronts come down from Alaska and the Pacific NW. Mid Pacific the seas can get rough and the ship can rock and roll. It's just very unpredictable. The ships are large the captain tries to minimize movement. In Los Angeles in Dec the weather can range from mild and sunny to cold and rainy and windy. You could get lucky and get great mild weather even warm with calm seas. However, you should prepare from cool and overcast skies on the first 3 days and last 3 days of your cruise. As you get closer to Hawaii the weather will get nice, warm & even tropical. Be forewarned--it is not uncommon and if it's a tender port and the sea conditions are not right the ship might have to by past that port due to safety concerns. This has disappointed many passengers. I would say the best months are the fall or springs (Sep, Oct, Nov & Apr or May) for the Transpacific cruises. The other months are OK; however, just more unpredictable with weather and sea conditions.

Thoroughly enjoyed our Christmas cruise on the Golden from San Pedro to Hawaii and back. It was smooth as glass, going and coming.

This past April we took the same cruise out of San Francisco in late April and it rocked and rolled going and coming. It made use of the outdoor and indoor pool worthless.

We did this cruise in March. The first night was rough with the hangers clanging all night and going up and down over and over, the next few days had patches of some up and down motion, but the return was like glass! I took ginger a few times, which immediately quelled my minor sea sickness. We had a blast and had nothing of the huge waves some have experienced on this crossing. Basically, you could encounter rough seas, or your could not; this sailing can be hit or miss, weather-wise. I highly recommend it, though; it's a fabulous cruise!

We were on the Golden last Thanksgiving on the roundtrip cruise from LA to Hawaii. The first day going out from LA was probably the roughest seas we had. After that it was fairly smooth seas. Seems like we usually have rougher seas going along the California coast. If you're concerned about having rough seas, I'd suggest you over the counter medication (Bonine) or get some of the prescription patches. My wife used a patch for the first two days and Bonine as needed the rest of the two-week cruise.

The California Current is a cold, swift-moving current that runs from the Gulf of Alaska south to Baja California. Because it's so cold, the weather right along the coast of CA can be much cooler in summer and winter than even a few miles inland. Ships sailing to/from San Pedro can experience rough and cold seas the first day or two. Once the ship is beyond the California Current, the water will be warmer and generally, smoother (not taking weather into account.) It should be much warmer as you approach HI and sail between the islands.

I've taken this cruise a couple of times and wouldn't hesitate to book one again.

I was on the Golden last Thanksgiving and I thought the seas were rough for the first three days over and the last three days back. It was freezing cold in Ensenada when we stopped. They said it hadnt been that cold in a long time. We did make all our ports although the tender we used in Maui struck a bouy line and we were dead in the water for over an hour. They had to move us onto another tender. That was a n experience.

Aloha Kakou,

This seems to be the most often asked question on these boards. Leialoha and I have been doing this run each season since 2006, and I can tell you that the only thing you can be certain of in regards to movement and sea conditions, is that you can't be certain of anything. While in the islands themselves, you will usually find it a tad cooler and wetter in "winter", as far as the sailing over...it is a crapshoot. We have seen it glassy one cruise, and then on the next run it is bumper car city. One thing to keep in mind is that whales are more active in the mid to late part of our season...but no matter when you go, you will have a great time. For the OP...we hope to see you on the Golden for a cruise...we would love to share the culture and aloha with you.

A Hui Hou,

Dave

(of Elua)

We took this cruise in April last year. I wasn't really expecting it to be as cool as it was the first few days. The chilly temp was the only issue, the seas were actually calmer than we had been warned to expect. The cruise was really a wonderful adventure.

As a side note, we enjoyed your music, Dave (of Eula). In fact the couple we traveled with on the cruise is hosting a luau on Saturday and your CD's, which we purchased on the ship, will add a nice touch to their party.

Aloha Kakou,

This seems to be the most often asked question on these boards. Leialoha and I have been doing this run each season since 2006, and I can tell you that the only thing you can be certain of in regards to movement and sea conditions, is that you can't be certain of anything. While in the islands themselves, you will usually find it a tad cooler and wetter in "winter", as far as the sailing over...it is a crapshoot. We have seen it glassy one cruise, and then on the next run it is bumper car city. One thing to keep in mind is that whales are more active in the mid to late part of our season...but no matter when you go, you will have a great time. For the OP...we hope to see you on the Golden for a cruise...we would love to share the culture and aloha with you.

A Hui Hou,

Dave

(of Elua)

We sailed on the Diamond Princess in April of 2008. We truly enjoyed sailing with you both. You made our cruise truly enjoyable.

Carol

I have done this cruise 4 times, and only once was it significantly "bumpy" leaving CA. I have also experienced "smooth as glass" seas on this itinerary.

The thing that surprised me most was how cold, windy and damp it was in LA the first time I did the cruise ...... I was expecting it to be "sunny CA" weather, and it sure was not!!!

Thanks everyone for your help. It seems just as I figured.....any sea conditions are possible. We'll prepare for some initial roughness and hope the rest of the journey gives us calm seas. And I do know Calif and Hawaii weather; have lived in both all my life. Just haven't sailed across the Pacific between the two. Mahala nui loa to all.

The sea conditions and the weather may not have anything to do with each other when it comes to the Hawaiian cruises. We've done this cruise exactly five years apart, both times starting on December 22. Different parts of the cruise had different sea conditions on both cruises and the same for the weather. But it's a fantastic cruise even if you don't have great weather (the case for our last one -- but still one of my best vacations ever).

Archived