Cancelation insurance question

crusinbanjo

Hi All. Mrs Banjo & I are scheduled to be on the Diamond Sept 1 from Vancouver to Whittier. WE are booked into a suite and are ready for some down time. unfortunately, mother-in-law, (85 years young), has taken ill and needs to be hospitalized. Since Mrs Banjo is the caretaker for her mom, it is quite possible that we may have to cancel our cruise.

We did purchase the Platinum protection, so my question is: IF we need to cancel what can we expect from the insurance. Will we be refunded the cruise price, or will we be sorry we bothered to buy the insurance at all.

thanks for all your help in advance.

It is impossible to give a real answer without knowing the provisions of your insurance or even who was the provider and level or type. Often there are more than one level with different pricing and different coverage.

I assume that you are currently reading your policy.

Most policies will give you a refund either in cash or in a credit for a future cruise, if:

You purchased the policy about the time you booked (usually within 14 days) or

Your MIL's health problems do not constitute a pre-existing conditions.

Check your policy to see its provisions.

Cruisinbanjo, I can totally relate to your situation. My mom is 91 and in a nursing home, and DH's dad is 79 with numerous serious health issues. Every time we go on vacation, we know there is a possibility of something happening to one of them that would require us to cancel or interrupt our plans. We have at various times bought either TravelEx or Princess policies.

When I read the Princess Vacation Protection Plan (here: http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf ), it looks to me like you should be refunded the cruise price. But I'm no expert and I'd recommend you call one of the phone numbers on page 9 of the plan document linked above. I do find the pre-existing condition exclusions to be worrisome for our parents' situations.

Good luck and please tell us what happens if you make a claim. I would definitely be interested to know. And best wishes for your MIL.

If you purchased Princess Platinum insurance, you will receive a refund of the cruise price if your mother-in-laws illness is eligible for the cancellation. If not, you can use the cancel for any reason clause and get a credit for a future cruise.

Hope your mother-in law gets well soon.

I had to cancel a cruise just last year..IT would have been on Royal Caribbean so I'm not sure how different the insurance would be but..my cruise was to have been in Dec. and I cancelled in Oct..heart attack and my doctor would not let me go..the money from the cruise line was automatic..the remaining part from the insurance took awhile longer due to papers having to be filled out by my doctor..the only thing u don't get back is cost of the insurance..hope this helps..

If you purchased Princess Platinum insurance, you will receive a refund of the cruise price if your mother-in-laws illness is eligible for the cancellation. If not, you can use the cancel for any reason clause and get a credit for a future cruise.

Hope your mother-in law gets well soon.

This is the correct answer. :)

This is the correct answer. :)
The key phrase here is "if your mother-in-law's illness is eligible" for the cancelation. If it's a prior condition that's been stable for at least 60 days, it'll be a covered reason. If it's a new illness, it'll be a covered reason. If it's a covered reason, you'll receive a refund to the credit card to which you charged your cruise. If it's not a covered reason, you'll receive a credit towards a future cruise.

Thanks All for the great response. I am sure it would be considered eligible since she has been stable for quite some time, and we purchased the insurance at the same time we booked the cruise.

The good news is that she is in a great hospital, the bad news is she had a really bad night last night. Mrs Banjo & I didn't get home until midnight from the hospital. Hopefully today is better and she gets well soon!

Thanks again, I'll follow up on this post as things progress.

Is the price for the insurance only based on the cabin price, or also on the port charge price? If the insurance price is only based on what you've paid for the cabin, what happens to the port charge in the case that you cancel?

Is the price for the insurance only based on the cabin price, or also on the port charge price? If the insurance price is only based on what you've paid for the cabin, what happens to the port charge in the case that you cancel?

The port charge is part of your cruise cost. It is refundable. Even if you go on the cruise and the ship can't go to the port for any reason, you will get the port charge for that port refunded. We just got a refund of the port charge for missing Edinburgh on our recent British Isles cruise.

The port charge is part of your cruise cost. It is refundable. Even if you go on the cruise and the ship can't go to the port for any reason, you will get the port charge for that port refunded. We just got a refund of the port charge for missing Edinburgh on our recent British Isles cruise.
Your cruise fare is a combination of the cabin price plus port fees and taxes. The port fees and taxes must be a separate line item so you know exactly what they are but it's still part of your total fare. As Mom33 says, insurance is a percentage of your total cruise fare so if you cancel, your cruise fare (including the port fees and taxes) is refunded.

• 1 month later...

ok so here's what happened. Mrs Banjo's mother remained in hospital so we had to cancell. We filed the claim and looks like we will be paid the cost of the cruise. The port fees, taxes and transfers were refunded by Princess. AS FAR AS THE AIR IS CONCERNED...... Alaska Airlines is refunding our tickets. United is not refunding our tickets and the insurance has not said if they will pay, even though the policy states they will pay provided we give them the paid receipts.

Our T/A is talking to the insurance company now, but it looks doubtful they will live up to their policy unless I may a stink, (which I will).

All in all a mixed review of the Princess Platinum policy. the process was pretty easy, likely because we had good documentation.

Mrs Banjo & I are glad to be refunded for the cruise, but if we don't get the air we won't be so happy. I'll follow up when all is settled.

Thanks for keeping us posted. I presume you used Princess EZAir? In situations similar to this in the past, pax were told they had airfare credit with the airline for one year from original flight booking. I recall sometimes that was only a few months from the time of cancellation, plus the cost of the change fee plus the hassle of getting city pair changes allowed. At the very least, you should get the change fee covered. Good luck in getting the flights sorted out to your satisfaction.

United is not refunding our tickets and the insurance has not said if they will pay, even though the policy states they will pay provided we give them the paid receipts.

Are you still talking about Princess Vacation Protection? I just re-checked, and my strong impression is that airfare is covered only if the flight is part of a Princess package ("Cruise Vacation"). Am I wrong? Did you book your United flight independently? In that case, Princess owes you nothing.

Thanks All for the great response. I am sure it would be considered eligible since she has been stable for quite some time, and we purchased the insurance at the same time we booked the cruise.

The good news is that she is in a great hospital, the bad news is she had a really bad night last night. Mrs Banjo & I didn't get home until midnight from the hospital. Hopefully today is better and she gets well soon!

Thanks again, I'll follow up on this post as things progress.

You received some great answers, we will pray for your Mother. Six years ago we had to cancel my Mother's cabin just a week before the cruise. Her doctor didn't think she go. She wasn't sick, but she is until a Doctor's care. My DW and I got married on this cruise, and were disappointed that my Mother couldn't go. Making a long story short, the insurance paid us for her cabin.

This is what I would do if I booked through a TA, here in my area. When looking at these insurance policies, it looks like you need a LAWYER:rolleyes: to decifer what it says. I would call my TA, and explain what "might" be happening. Then have them check out for coverage and let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all and thanks for all the positive thoughts for Mom - in - law. The best news is that she is home after 6 long weeks of hospital and rehab. we all hope she continues to get stronger and recover fullly!!

OK, so here is the final info on how this all worked out.

The travel insurance paid, (checks received today), for the entire cruise. Taxes, transfers and port charges were refunded by Princess and credited to my Amex card.

As far as the flights are concerned..... the insurance letter asked for receipts for flights that were not refundable, (no mention of whether they were purchased via the cruiseline), then denied that portion of the claim.

So in a nutshell; Cruise price..... ....refunded, by Insurance

Taxes, etc..... ....refunded, by Princess

Alaska Air ticket.. .refunded, by Alaska Air

United Air ticket....not refunded, 1year travel w/ $150. change fee, (also not refunded).

All in all not too bad. next time we won't use United unless the the air is refundable.

Archived