5 days New York

electra2008

Sailing on QM2 27th Nov and are going to spend a few days in NY before. Have looked up a hotel 39th Ave, if memory is correct, nearish the Port Authority terminal comments on ease of area.

Coming into LaGuardia leaving Red Hook I would think.

We are not evening people so want to be handy for getting around "everywhere" during the daytime. Eat our main meal lunch out. Fancy being met by limo/car if possible cost wise, just the ease of not having to worry. Or is it like Toronto LBP where you just wait for the next limo. Also how much to tip the skycap? and does he hail the car if not booked.

Any info greatly appreaciated.

5 days you don't want to be TOOO close to Port Authority, when 2-3 blocks away puts you in much more touristy areas. Stay east of 9th Avenue for certain, and north of 42nd Street is more touristy as well.

Parks, theaters, restaurants, shopping, all are easily accessible on foot (or by taxi or even subway) from pretty much everywhere in that area, so do not restrict yourself!

Lots of threads here about getting to Manhattan from LGA. Some folks prefer car service/limo, others prefer taxi. Read up and see how they support their suggestions.

Sailing on QM2 27th Nov and are going to spend a few days in NY before. Have looked up a hotel 39th Ave, if memory is correct, nearish the Port Authority terminal comments on ease of area.

Coming into LaGuardia leaving Red Hook I would think.

We are not evening people so want to be handy for getting around "everywhere" during the daytime. Eat our main meal lunch out. Fancy being met by limo/car if possible cost wise, just the ease of not having to worry. Or is it like Toronto LBP where you just wait for the next limo. Also how much to tip the skycap? and does he hail the car if not booked.

Any info greatly appreaciated.

My wife and I have been to NYC many times and our best hotel experience was across the street from the Port Authority. The Distrikt Hotel is on West 40th street and is rated as the # 3 hotel of the 430 listed on TripAdvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60763-d1503474-r136796292-Distrikt_Hotel-New_York_City_New_York.html

The area is fine and we always felt safe.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

If you give us the exact name of the hotel we can make a better judgement.

Yes, I agree. There are great hotels around Port Authority, but the neighborhood itself itself is still a little sketchy. I live on 43rd & 9th, which is very safe, but 3 blocks south at night is not so nice---at least for tourists---though there is a great seafood store at 40th & 9th. For example, the Distrikt Hotel on 40th is fine, but walking up 9th Avenue from it can be an adventure at night, especially on the west side of 9th between 40th & 41st, where you will encounter a small homeless encampment. On the east side of 9th, between 41st & 42nd, you may encounter drunken people piling out of one of the bar on that street or the bikini bar around the corner on 41st. Not necessarily dangerous, but unsettling to people from out of town, perhaps.

If you give us the exact name of the hotel we can make a better judgement. As mentioned if you are west of 9th Avenue you will be close to the entrance of the Lincoln Tunnel, plus there are transients around the area.

Candlewood Suites W 39th Street. We like to self cater, as well as eating out at Lunch Time. Going out in the evening is not something we are really into. We will most likely be worn out by evenings. Also homeless/drunks not a great bother, druggies might worry us.

Have seen the dial7 mentioned before so will look up their site.

Thanks again to all

Google is definitely amazing. I checked, a street map came right up:) and the location if fine. It's not really "in" Times Square but a couple of blocks away. You are between 8th and 9th Avenue. You can also walk to Penn Station to pick up subway and bus lines easily.

Candlewood Suites W 39th Street. We like to self cater, as well as eating out at Lunch Time. Going out in the evening is not something we are really into. We will most likely be worn out by evenings. Also homeless/drunks not a great bother, druggies might worry us.

Have seen the dial7 mentioned before so will look up their site.

Thanks again to all

My wife and I have been to NYC many times and our best hotel experience was across the street from the Port Authority. The Distrikt Hotel is on West 40th street and is rated as the # 3 hotel of the 430 listed on TripAdvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60763-d1503474-r136796292-Distrikt_Hotel-New_York_City_New_York.html

The area is fine and we always felt safe

Enjoy! Kel:)

I just checked my choice is one street from your rec. so area should be fine, especialy as others have given it the okay.

Archived