A ship too big?

jasbo49

We much prefer smaller ships. Oceania and Regent are our favorites, but we try them all. Did the Allure last year and enjoyed it. We all find the niche in which we are comfortable. In cruising there is something for every one. When we took our family on a big birthday cruise we chose one of the lines that cater to younger tastes. it was also cheaper since we were paying. And itineraries are also a consideration. We do NOT like to fly, so if we can get there without air we might choose that over ship size.

Our next cruise is on a large ship then a small one another large and then another very small. DEPENDS!!!

~Doris~> Who doesn't use Depends.

Mega Ships: Thought we would not enjoy ... but couldn't help it ... needed to see for ourselves!

Took Oasis last year and had a good time. Getting around was lots easier than expected. Our favorite things were their $peciality restaurants. We've been on lots smaller ships that seemed way more crowded. Embarkation/disembarkation were both very easy and painless.

Certainly would consider doing it again for a quick 7 Day Cruise.

LuLu

It comes down to whatever works for you. I very much enjoyed the QE2 and QM2, and the little Regal Empress (my favorite). Always had a great time on Celebrity, from the Zenith to the Millennium, and being in the grand suite on "Rembrandt" (the former Rotterdam V) was something very special. Dinner in the "Olympia" restaurant on Millennium was one of the finest I ever had- it's like dining on Titanic!

I don't need a rock climbing wall or flow rider, never will.

Some of it comes down to if you are a "cruise" lover or a "ship" lover. For some, a cruise means a huge floating resort, for others, it's just "put be on a ship with good food and service, I don't care about the size".

The latter description is me.

It comes down to whatever works for you. I very much enjoyed the QE2 and QM2, and the little Regal Empress (my favorite). Always had a great time on Celebrity, from the Zenith to the Millennium, and being in the grand suite on "Rembrandt" (the former Rotterdam V) was something very special. Dinner in the "Olympia" restaurant on Millennium was one of the finest I ever had- it's like dining on Titanic!

I don't need a rock climbing wall or flow rider, never will.

Some of it comes down to if you are a "cruise" lover or a "ship" lover. For some, a cruise means a huge floating resort, for others, it's just "put me on a ship with good food and service, I don't care about the size".

The latter description is me.

There is a market for the big ones as there are for the smaller ones.

If people buy intot the big water slides, bowling alleys, ice skating rinks, bigger and bigger shows, huge indoor malls all = bigger and bigger ships.

IMHO there is a place for those as they will suck the crowds and maybe the 2000 or so sized which I think is just right will be less desirable and a deal for me :D

Yes, we think the mega ships are too big for us. We also recognize that others prefer huge ships and think "the bigger, the better." I think for people who focus on ship time and sea days that the huge ships are probably a real boon. That's why it's great that there are choices. We do wish that more cruise lines would consider new builds in the midsize range, rather than going larger and larger every time.

What I don't like is when someone tells us that we must cruise on a mega ship before we can say it's not the ship for us. We know what we like and what suits us. We don't need to force ourselves to try something that is not our style. I would never tell someone that they must cruise on a small(er) ship or one with a style not consistent with mainstream cruising (e.g, Hurtigruten or Cruise West).

beachchick

Two weeks after DH and I came home from our cruise on the 78-passenger Wilderness Adventurer, we watched a TV show about the Oasis of the Seas called "Extreme Cruising" and laughed through most of it. Plainly a lot of people love this type of travel, but the Wilderness Adventurer was exactly what we wanted. (Well, we could have used a bigger, fancier stateroom but it wasn't in the budget. :D)

To each his own- I just like to tell people here about small ships so they know what the alternative is like.

Archived