A ship too big?

jasbo49

Does anybody else feel like some of the new ships are just too big? Like you wouldn't really want do go on them no matter where they were going or how much they cost?

I won't even mention ships or brand names, because it shouldn't be about which cruise line people want to prop up or knock down. I know the biggest ships offer the most options in entertainment and dining and all kinds of other stuff. But I just don't want to be on a ship that looks so top-heavy that it looks unstable.

Anybody else?

Jim

Does anybody else feel like some of the new ships are just too big? Like you wouldn't really want do go on them no matter where they were going or how much they cost?

I won't even mention ships or brand names, because it shouldn't be about which cruise line people want to prop up or knock down. I know the biggest ships offer the most options in entertainment and dining and all kinds of other stuff. But I just don't want to be on a ship that looks so top-heavy that it looks unstable.

Anybody else?

Jim

:cool: I guess if you don't feel comfortable then don't go!!:o They fill those ships every week and most don't think about it!!;)

Yes, I feel some of today's cruise ships are bigger than we wish to sail.

Of course, everyone has different feelings about the behemouths like Oasis and Allure.... some love them and some do not.

We like ships in the range of about 1,250 - 2,100 (+ / - ) guests and about 55,000 - 88,000 ton.

I also prefer the smaller ships. I like to feel the ocean. I doubt I will ever choose to sail on a ship with more than 3,000 people. I love the small princess ships and I'm sorry they are replacing the smaller Royal with another huge ship.

I know the reaction of some people is that if you don't like them, don't sail on them. That's true, and I don't, but I'm afraid all the smaller ships will eventually be replaced with floating cities. :(

We enjoy the smaller ships, on cruises more than seven days. The larger ships tend to be on shorter runs, and to be honest I could not stand the idea of being on a ship with 3,500 other cruisers, 2,500 was enough for us.

john

We prefer a smaller ship. We definitely don't like the floating amusement parks that attract a ton of children! We raised our 3 kids and love our grandchildren, but don't want to stress over the safety and well-being of the kids that are left unsupervised! DH is a pediatrician and sees too many children hurt due to lack of supervision.... not a vacation for him in those situations!:rolleyes:

Disembarkation @ ports-of-call can instigate aggressive, mob behavior on large vessels...was almost trampled in Alexandria. In exotic locales where immigration officers board to evaluate each traveler can also cause disorganization & confusion in large ships. &, convoy of buses to intimate venues either spoiled w crowds or lack-of-time.

Therefore, my personal preference is <1K pax. However, if a preferred POC is only available on a huge ship, I book a balcony (staying in my cabin most of the sea time) & work hard to get off the ship early at that POC!

Well I agree with the OP that some ships are too big. But that's me, and for me. I know others who love to cruise as well, and they love the behemoths. Some say to-may-to and others say to-mah-to!

150 years ago the debate was about the railroads.

Everyone claimed that the locomotives were so ugly and dangerous, scared the horses, stopped the hens from laying eggs, etc.

The popular comment was that God had never intended man to move at such a speed as 13 miles per hour.

This big ship debate is the same issue - 150 years later.

When choosing a cruise, the first thing we look at are the itineraries. Next, we look at what ships are doing the itinerary we like. The larger (mega) ships with more on board amenities are typically higher priced than the medium-sized or smaller ships that have fewer amenities. While there are a few of the larger ships that we would love to see, we ask ourselves, "Am I willing to pay more for this cruise just to be on ???? ship, even though I'm not interested in ice skating or the rock climbing wall or certain other amenities?" We like the more medium-sized ships, where you have some of the amenities, and don't feel like you're cruising on a ship that's either too small or too large. I was recently joking with a TA that the ships are getting so big that by the time you get on board, maybe explore the ship a bit, find your cabin, then go to the MDR for dinner, the week will be over and you haven't even left the port!:eek::D

I suspect that those who cruise more for the onboard amenities and entertainment tend to like the larger ships and those who cruise more for the itinerary/ports tend to like the smaller ships.

I enjoy the smaller to mid-size ships. I used to sail on the Princess Grand-class ships (my son enjoyed the options) but now that I cruise solo, I find the service on the bigger ships is less personal and -- perhaps because I am alone and notice it more -- they just seem crowded. Especially the newer Princess ships that have added more cabins without adding more public spaces.

About the largest ship I think I'd enjoy are the HAL Vista-class ships. They seem to have a nice balance of onboard space and itineraries I like. (Unfortunately, I have to admit that the tone of the HAL boards here have sort of turned me off of cruising on HAL, to the point that I cancelled a cruise I'd booked on Noordam this fall in favor of another line.)

When I'm cruising solely for the itinerary, the smaller ships are so much better -- they can get to ports that the larger ships cannot, and getting on/off the ship is much faster. Plus, as I mentioned, the service seems better -- more personal, less rushed.

I think there will continue to be a niche market for the smaller ships but perhaps not so much in the mass-market lines. These ships don't fit with their revenue models. Once onboard the Caribbean Princess, a well-respected staff member told me that the larger ships make money and pay the way for the smaller ships, which lose money. I'm not sure how much longer they will continue to keep the smaller ships in the line....

Our very first cruise we did Carnival Imagination, which I think is in the 70,000 ton range, for a short 4 nighter 'just to see if we even liked cruising. When we pulled up to the dock I thought, OMG ... it's so big! Loved it, but decided to try another cruise line. Next cruise, just 'surfing the web' found us on the Adventure of the Seas ... at the time the 'largest' ship (RCCI Voyager Class). We loved it! Next time it was the Freedom of the Seas ... then the 'largest' ... thought, OMG it's HUGE!! Actually, felt it a little too big, decided I liked the Voyager Class ships better. Next time again, just 'surfing the web' found us on the Eurodam from HAL ... only 86,000 tons ... we wondered if we would like it since we'd been cruising mostly on the larger ships ... we loved it!! Last time, we sailed on the Oasis ... I frankly couldn't imagine anything bigger than the Freedom class, but Hubby was determined to get on that baby!! Once again ... we loved it! And, to those who say it must be sooo crowded ... we didn't find that at all ... not while on the ship, not at the Ports and not embarking or debarking ... have no clue how they do it, but it was wonderful. All that being said ... again, 'surfing the web' is finding us on Carnival Freedom in a month ... she's about 110,000 tons I think and looking forward to cruising on yet another line (counting it as new since it's been sooo long since on Carnival and this is 7 days the other was just a short jaunt). So, all that being said, guess I agree that everyone and every ship is different. I like them all ... they all have something to offer.:)

When choosing a cruise, the first thing we look at are the itineraries. Next, we look at what ships are doing the itinerary we like. The larger (mega) ships with more on board amenities are typically higher priced than the medium-sized or smaller ships that have fewer amenities. While there are a few of the larger ships that we would love to see, we ask ourselves, "Am I willing to pay more for this cruise just to be on ???? ship, even though I'm not interested in ice skating or the rock climbing wall or certain other amenities?" We like the more medium-sized ships, where you have some of the amenities, and don't feel like you're cruising on a ship that's either too small or too large. I was recently joking with a TA that the ships are getting so big that by the time you get on board, maybe explore the ship a bit, find your cabin, then go to the MDR for dinner, the week will be over and you haven't even left the port!:eek::D

LOL!! Something to that ... we sailed the Oasis in May and were told that you can't do it all in a week ... and that is TRUE!!! But, we had a blast! Will we go again? I don't know. My husband wanted on that ship since she first came out, me, I thought maybe it was just too big ... to quote my daughter, 'something that big just shouldn't be able to float!!' :D But, really it was wonderful and the only reason we got on in May was a VERY GOOD SALE we just 'happened' upon ... otherwise, I'm with you ... way too much $!!;)

I cruise solo...I'm reticent to extoll the virtues/negatives via brands in my posts...one "larger" ship's demographics were very unwelcoming to singles. I have also found the smaller ones to be very accommodating to us singles; all the officers knew my full name, origin, & preferences by day 1. I expect that of stewards, but all the staff? Very refreshing!

Archived