What Does It Mean When Your Cruise Ship Is Sick?

dakrewser

Great article by a former TV reporter on why norovirus aboard a cruise ship is such "hot" news.

Typical quote: "According to the braniacs at the CDC, 'the common cold is the only illness more common', and the CDC estimates that there are more than 20 million cases of norovirus annually."

The second and more important reason is that cruise ships are one of the few hospitality industries that must report every sickness on a to the CDC.

On a cruise ship, sick passengers go to the medical office, they tell the doctor they are sick and the doctor has to notify the CDC that a passenger was treated for that illness.

I believe that nothing has to be reported until the number of cases reaches a threshold of 3% of the passengers.

I believe that nothing has to be reported until the number of cases reaches a threshold of 3% of the passengers.

From the CDC web site:

"Cruise ships participating in the Vessel Sanitation Program are required to report the total number of gastrointestinal (GI) illness cases (including zero cases) evaluated by the medical staff before the ship arrives at a U.S. port, when sailing from a foreign port. A separate notification is required when the GI illness count exceeds 2% of the total number of passengers or crew onboard."

Great article by a former TV reporter on why norovirus aboard a cruise ship is such "hot" news.

Typical quote: "According to the braniacs at the CDC, 'the common cold is the only illness more common', and the CDC estimates that there are more than 20 million cases of norovirus annually."

Love his comment..... "if it bleeds, it leads headline." Unfortunately that is the media of today, make everything sound so much worse than it really is:(

Joanie

Thanks, a little truth on noro for a change. I am an avid hand washer and part time germaphobe so I have been luckly so far on cruises.

Kirk, and everyone else that is germaphobic and wash hands in abundance....

A WORD OF WARNING.....

Over zealous handwashing with soaps and over usage of the Antibacterial soaps and solutions (Purell) can lead to serious dry skin conditions that MIGHT cause some people to develope allergies to some of the ingredients.

I know first hand:( I have been suffering since May (shortly after getting over Chicken Pox) with extreme Dermatitis. So bad that at times I have to take pain killers.

I've been seeing a Dermatologist for nearly 2 months now and the finality of this is that I am now allergic to Lanolin, Glycerin and aloe, on top of already being allergic to scents and alcohol....

He said it was more than likely caused by my immune system being weakened by my foot in February and then the Chicken Pox did me in....

I will never be cured of this dermatitis, but at least I hope to prevent someone else from going through this.

Moral is DO NOT Over wash, especially if it is an anti-bacterial soap or solution!!!

Joanie

Archived