Princess charging double port charges for single occupancy?

Brneyznfl

I'm really looking forward to my first Princess cruise in Sept. I've booked a cabin to myself but I was a little taken back when my TA told me that Princess charges anywhere from 160%-200% of port charges for one person in the cabin. Princess is charging me double the port charges for this cruise! I've never encountered this with other cruise lines. I don't understand this pricing policy. I'm not going to visit the ports twice! To add insult to injury, there's a 100.00 cabin credit and Princess will only give me half of it since there's only one person in the cabin. I'm paying double the cruise rate which I knew going in. Now I"m paying double the port charges and I can't even get the full cabin credit? I've never read on this board people complaining about the port charges when you've booked a cabin single occupancy. Is this a new thing Princess has implemented?

First time I have ever heard of the double port charges. I do know that when there is a cabin credit that sometimes it is per person though, so that could explain why you can only get half of it.

But double port charges? That is not good at all. :(

I would contest being charged twice for port charges! That makes no sense and from my experience, Princess does not do this. If this information is coming from your travel agent, I think the travel agent is incorrect. Paying 150%-200% for single occupancy of the cabin: yes. But, the port taxes are deducted before the fare is calculated and then re-added to the figure.

As to the cabin credit, read the fine print. If it states that the cabin credit is $100 per cabin, then you are entitled to that amount of credit. If it states that it is $100 per person, then you should receive that $100, not $50.

I've been told that by several TA's that Princess does charge double port charges on top of single supplement and that is their policy. I guess when I'm traveling solo it won't be on Princess. The single supplement is bad enough.....

My T.A. and my group leader (I'm booked with a group) have both talked to Princess about this. They won't budge about the double port charges. :( Does anyone know how long this has been standard practice with Princess? I've sailed solo on Carnival and Royal Caribbean and never had to pay twice for the port charges. I honestly don't mind paying double for the cruise only rate. This is standard practice on cruise lines if there's only one person in the room. I can understand this business practice. It's paying twice for the port charges that I'm having trouble accepting. This is not standard on other cruise lines.

Maybe someone from Princess is lurking on here. And I hope they are insulted. Because we are. I'm the TA for a group and my Dad is part of the group (golden princesss 10 day 6/21). Yes, illogically they charge double port charges for him as a single. The only thing he save is $8.50! Robbery, but he wanted to go with us and he is a single. But it is maddening!:mad:

I routinely travel as a single & do not recall being charged double port charges.

Same here, but when you think about it, the ship is charged the same in port whether there’s one person in my cabin or two. So if the total port charges are divided by cabin, then I guess paying the same as two people next door is equitable. I don’t think any of us know enough about how the charges are divided up to determine what is and is not fair. But then again, I understand the business reason behind the single supplement…so there you are.

Same here, but when you think about it, the ship is charged the same in port whether there’s one person in my cabin or two. So if the total port charges are divided by cabin, then I guess paying the same as two people next door is equitable. I don’t think any of us know enough about how the charges are divided up to determine what is and is not fair. But then again, I understand the business reason behind the single supplement…so there you are.

You mean to say they don't pay port charges for each person, depending on how many are actually cruising on each sailing???? :confused: I think if there is a set port charge per ship, per sailing, that the ship should divide the charges up by person, rather than cabin! Why would a single pay what a family of 4 might pay???? Help me understand, please! :)

You mean to say they don't pay port charges for each person, depending on how many are actually cruising on each sailing???? :confused: I think if there is a set port charge per ship, per sailing, that the ship should divide the charges up by person, rather than cabin! Why would a single pay what a family of 4 might pay???? Help me understand, please! :)

No – I have no real idea how they divide it up. Since there is so much scrutiny on Port Charges – especially since there was that issue with them being incorrectly charged a number of years ago – you’d think that the cruise lines would have some guidelines. The only way that Princess could get away with charging double per person – seems to me – is by charging by the cabin. But I don’t know that this is the way they do it…I’m just taking a flying leap at a guess.

But when you think about it – a family of four would get off cheap on the port charges this way, and therefore shouldn’t complain about the auto tip being added for the kids…right? :D

Folks, there is no such thing as "port charges".

You'll recall a few years ago when the Florida attorney general filed suit against the major cruise lines because they advertised a cruise price and then stuck port charges and taxes on top of that. It would have been ok but the allegations were that the "port charges" being added had little in relation to what cruise lines actually paid those ports. So the allegation was that some of that money was extra profit beyond the price quoted. I recall that the cruise lines settled...perhaps with Florida only....but as a nationwide practice they began advertising all-inclusive prices; the only extra being the taxes.

So you see, when they quote you $699 for a cruise, that IS the price. There are no separate port charges that can be taken out of that price. Yes, of course they are really in there, but not officially.

So the price is the price and if they have a 100% policy for single occupancy, you will pay that price twice.

BobK/Orlando

SEA PRINCESS MAY 2005 yeah baby!

I'm really looking forward to my first Princess cruise in Sept. I've booked a cabin to myself but I was a little taken back when my TA told me that Princess charges anywhere from 160%-200% of port charges for one person in the cabin.

I've traveled alone on Princess several times in the past and have cruises booked for 9/05 and 5/06 and have never been charged double port charges. I used to travel some with Royal Caribbean but they have a new policy of charging singles 200% but never double port charges.

I was checking prices fora solo cruise and my TA said nothing about double port charges....I can see a flat rate for the ship divided by the number of people a cabin can hold...If a cabin can sleep 4 then charge that amount to that cabin..a tiny inside that barely can hold 2 charge for two....

interesting I will have to remember for next trip, tehi time around I have a roomate.

Folks, there is no such thing as "port charges".

You'll recall a few years ago when the Florida attorney general filed suit against the major cruise lines because they advertised a cruise price and then stuck port charges and taxes on top of that. It would have been ok but the allegations were that the "port charges" being added had little in relation to what cruise lines actually paid those ports. So the allegation was that some of that money was extra profit beyond the price quoted. I recall that the cruise lines settled...perhaps with Florida only....but as a nationwide practice they began advertising all-inclusive prices; the only extra being the taxes.

So you see, when they quote you $699 for a cruise, that IS the price. There are no separate port charges that can be taken out of that price. Yes, of course they are really in there, but not officially.

So the price is the price and if they have a 100% policy for single occupancy, you will pay that price twice.

BobK/Orlando

Not disputing what you're saying because I do remember reading about that dispute. However, why is that when I book a cruise on any line I've been on, the quote is broken down by cruise price, port charges and taxes. My invoice for this cruise clearly states the cruise price and the port charges and taxes are itemized separately. One poster above had a good comment..why is it with a quad cabin with only 2 people booked, the cruise line only charges them 2 sets of port charges and not 4? The same situation with a triple with only two booked in the cabin. They aren't being charged for how many people "could" be booked in the cabin as in my situation.

That is exactly the question I'm curious about. Does the ship pay port charges based on the number of souls aboard the ship or is it based on the total passenger capacity? It doesn't matter if you have 3 or 4 in the cabin, port charges are accessed on each person and is reflected in their cruise fare for the 3rd and 4th passengers.

What kind of document are you looking at that has the words "Port Charges" on it? Is it from a travel agent or directly from a cruise line?

I'm staring at a Princess booking confirmation and nowhere do they use the term "port charges".

Brneyznfl, I don't think the fees paid by cruise ships is based strictly on the capacity of the ship. I'm not positive, but I think there's a docking fee, a fee for the use of a harbor pilot and per person fees based on the number of passengers on board that particular cruise.

Seastar2....your agent didn't say anything about double port charges because there is no such thing as port charges. If you're paying twice the rate as a solo-traveler, you're simply paying twice the rate. Included in that rate is something that used to be called port charges but now it's simply part of the price and you're paying the price X two.

BobK/Orlando

Yes, Princess charges a single cruiser double the "non-commissionables" (formerly known as port charges). It is "non-commissionables" on the Princess invoice.

100% of a ship's occupancy is two people per cabin. Ships are averaging over 100% occupancy because of 3 & 4th passengers.

RCL and Celebrity do not charge double non commissionables, but most of the time their single supplement is 200%. Neither does HAL. Neither does Carnival.

What kind of document are you looking at that has the words "Port Charges" on it? Is it from a travel agent or directly from a cruise line?

I'm staring at a Princess booking confirmation and nowhere do they use the term "port charges".

In this situation for me, you are right. No where does it say port charges on my invoice from my TA. However, on this invoice from my TA, it states Cruise Price and then taxes. The cruise price equates to the cruse only rate which is 1226.82 single occupancy..i.e. 613.41 per person which is the same for others who booked double occupancy in my category and in our group . The next line states "taxes" which is 332. 59. I knew 332.59 for taxes wasn't right so I questioned this. My T.A. explained this is 193.59 for port charges...charged twice. plus 54.59 for taxes.

Everyone is using the wording "port charges" including my TA and Princess . My TA obviously isn't using the correct wording on her invoice because it isn't all taxes. I went to several online TA websites (wish I could name them!) to verify how much the port charges are and priced this cruise. One TA I've done business with before and they clearly spell out the cruse fare, then the port charges and then the taxes. If what you said is correct and port charges are indeed a part of the cruise fare, then I am paying more for my "cruise fare" then others booked in my category on this group cruise which everyone is suppose to get the same price. Also how much Princess charges for those port charges is totally up to them. They can charge anywhere from 160-200 % for someone booked single occupancy according to my TA. I know that I'm not going to "win" this situation. I'm just one person who doesn't agree with a huge corporate company and their pricing policies. I'm just trying to understand why and find a reasonable explanation. My TA said Princess has done this for years and people have always complained about it. That is not a reasonable explanation in my opinion. :)

We travel with my father. He travels solo. On our 3/04 Panama Cruise on Carnival he paid $136 less than we did which I figure was the 200% single supplement and one "port charge/taxes". On our 1/05 Diamond Princess cruise he paid a 150% single supplement plus double port charge/single taxes. For our future Island Princess Hawaii cruise he is paying $40 less than we are which I figure to be double port charge/single tax. It would appear that Carnival does not charge an additional "whatever you want to call it" extra when there is a single occupant of a cabin but Princess definitely does.......even though the single supplement can vary from 150% - 200%.

Also want to mention insurance for single travelers........as most private travel insurance is based on the total cruise price......single travelers (who pay more to start with) also pay more for their insurance. When the single traveler is a more mature person the insurance cost can almost be as much as the cruise fare for a younger traveler. So the single cruiser gets hit 2x's......both for the cruise fare and the insurance.

Speaking of fees - I just got my tickets last week for my 5/21 Caribbean Princess and I noticed something odd. If you look under the Govt Fees and Charges section, there is a $3 charge for an IRS Fee. Are we now paying the cruiselines taxes? :)

Paul

Speaking of fees - I just got my tickets last week for my 5/21 Caribbean Princess and I noticed something odd. If you look under the Govt Fees and Charges section, there is a $3 charge for an IRS Fee. Are we now paying the cruiselines taxes? :)

Paul

oh good grief! That's first time I've heard of that one! :eek:

I think a lot of the 'singles' stuff is a bit much... but I've resigned my self to the fact that if I want to go that's the way it will be. Next they'll be charging tips for double occupancy!

Screw that. If Princess is gonna do that, I'll just travel HAL in the future ... where I could always use the single share program and avoid paying double port charges.

I always book lower category cabins because I like having the cabin to myself and am willing to pay the much more reasonable supplements on those types of cabins. But, paying double port charges just doesn't make sense. Do they only charge port fees for two when the cabin has four people in it? Logic would say that they should.

If this is the policy, then the port charges should be based on so much per cabin, not person.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived