Boarding Prinsendam at Civitavecchia

Just wondering what time one should get to the pier at Civitavecchia to board the Prinsendam? Ship is there 7a to 7p.

I want to time my car rental return (Sixt, right by the shuttle bus entrance?) to be right up on the 24 hour mark.

Boarding should begin around 11:30 or 12 noon. if the ship isn't leaving until 7 - you could easily be there around 3 if you are so inclined. No lineups, etc. Normally the lifeboat drill is still around 4'ish to avoid interfering with dinner:)

Just depends upon when it suits you to get on the ship - glad you decided to book her:)

You theoretically can't start boarding until 11:30am, but Civit is known for being...slower and delayed at times :). Also, there are very few chairs to sit in if you are being "held" before boarding. I would recommend lunch in Civit. It's actually quite a charming little sea-side town that most people overlook and go straight to the ship. They have the best gelato place in all of Italy I do believe (and believe, me - my husband and I have tried A LOT)!

You theoretically can't start boarding until 11:30am, but Civit is known for being...slower and delayed at times :). Also, there are very few chairs to sit in if you are being "held" before boarding. I would recommend lunch in Civit. It's actually quite a charming little sea-side town that most people overlook and go straight to the ship. They have the best gelato place in all of Italy I do believe (and believe, me - my husband and I have tried A LOT)!

We are also boarding at Civi. How far are restaurants and, more importantly, the gelato place from where one boards? Thanks.

Not far at all. Last summer, we were on a Collector's Voyage, so we walked down to the entry gate of the port (about a 10 minute, if you are slower) walk and there was a little shuttle bus that took us in to town. But, if you are a walker, you can make that same walk in to town in under 30 minutes. We found out about the Gelato from the Port Agent. He was sailing with us in all of the Italian ports (Naples, Livorno) and he recommended it.

Also, that day embarkation didn't start for the new passengers until about 1pm because (as the port agent put it) the Shore Ops people "felt like it." I found out later it was actually the luggage handlers (longshoremen) who delayed boarding, and it's quite common. It was very nice to be able to bypass all of the distressed people in the terminal and go straight through security since we had our cards already. No seating....what a mess.

Last October we arrived in Civitavecchia from Rome via the train & then taxied over to the port. Be aware anyone doing this - you must drag your luggage down a steep, narrow & dark staircase, walk thru the tunnel & then hump the luggage up another staircase. It was just unexpected. :eek:

When we actually pulled up to the terminal building, baggage handlers unloaded the cab & we practically walked on-board Noordam. No lines whatsoever. I'm remembering that boarding had started maybe an hour or so late due to a super scrub-down. I don't remember the exact time we got there, but the MDR had just stopped serving lunch - at the regular time. So maybe 1:30p -1:45p? It was not extended due to the late boarding start. They still had to get ready for early dinner seating. Lido of course was still open, so no one goes hungry. ;)

Last October we arrived in Civitavecchia from Rome via the train & then taxied over to the port. Be aware anyone doing this - you must drag your luggage down a steep, narrow & dark staircase, walk thru the tunnel & then hump the luggage up another staircase. It was just unexpected. :eek:

When we actually pulled up to the terminal building, baggage handlers unloaded the cab & we practically walked on-board Noordam. No lines whatsoever. I'm remembering that boarding had started maybe an hour or so late due to a super scrub-down. I don't remember the exact time we got there, but the MDR had just stopped serving lunch - at the regular time. So maybe 1:30p -1:45p? It was not extended due to the late boarding start. They still had to get ready for early dinner seating. Lido of course was still open, so no one goes hungry. ;)

YES Civitavecchia station is famous for the steps to go up and down, have to do it twice. One more reason to travel light....

Can one drive to the check-in area (what time does that start?), drop bags, get BPs and go off for lunch/car rental.? I guess the lunch onboard isn't that great to pass up another lunch in Italy.

sure you can get your bags and BP and go for lunch elsewhere if you like. Just make sure you are back in plenty of time to meet the on board requirements:D

By the time you get to Civi, you might change your tune on passing up another lunch in Italy;) food in Italy can be quite expensive ;) another reason cruising in Europe offers value:D

You board the shuttle to your ship at the wall(fort). Be sure the check in the window for your ships name. Oft times there are several ships, and you need to get on the right one. Civitavecchia you are in the downtown area at the wall. The dock area is safe, though late a night it might be another thing. You will find crew members all over the place and a lot of places for internet time, calling centres and the like. Also place to purchase items. As for the gelato I would goole its location. There is a MacDonald's close by free internet.. As for eating, you would need to look to Trip Advisor for suggestions. I know that there are several good places, as oft times many pax stay overnight in Civitavecchia. The walk to the train station is along the water about a 10 minutes stroll. Yes, coming in from Rome you need to the take the stair down and under the track and back up again. If you are coming in from other places (North) you walk off.

Archived