Oceania compared to HAL?

travelingteacher2010

Two points to the previous poster.

1. You say both ships the same size, about 1300 cabins. If the HAL ship has 1300 cabins that means 2600 people. The O class ships carry 1260 people or fewer than half.

2. You do not specify which kind of accommodations for which you are quoting fares on either line. This would make a big difference.

Two points to the previous poster.

1. You say both ships the same size, about 1300 cabins. If the HAL ship has 1300 cabins that means 2600 people. The O class ships carry 1260 people or fewer than half.

2. You do not specify which kind of accommodations for which you are quoting fares on either line. This would make a big difference.

You must be thinking of the Celeb, and Princess monster ships

The Holland America ship is not 2600, it is 1350 The largest Holland America Ship is 2100 in their fleet. .

So yes, the Amsterdam and the Marina are pretty much the same size both in length, tonnage and passenger load.:rolleyes:

This was for a standard inside cabin, of 175-180 sq ft. Marina and Amsterdam cabins are the same size and pretty much exact same features, except comp soda and water is not offered on the Amsterdam. Bathrooms identical as are storage, bed etc

So across the board its apples to apples

In going up, I would suspect that the difference would become larger and larger in favor of Marina ( Amsterdam being more and more costly).

I have observed, as many have, that it is far more expensive to chase after a "faux luxury" on a mass market ship; a ship which no matter how hard you try, will never approach what luxury lines offer as standard fare.

Too that any dollar spent on a lesser product will have a way lesser return in value. Its like wanting to get a presidential suite at a Howard Johnson, no matter how much you pay will not get Ritz Carlton results.

I don't think everything is correct in hawaiidan's assessment. The Amsterdam is from Hawaii to Hong Kong, so no round-trip airfare for Hawaii. And the cost for an inside cabin alone is about $188 a day, plus tips and taxes. Surely that will not add up to $433 by the time you add in those things. And I don't even see the Marina going to Hawaii, though maybe that is in 2014 which won't come up on the Oceania site yet. Given what I have spent on a cabin on HAL vs. what I have spent for a cabin on Oceania, I am quite skeptical about those numbers. Do you have links?

We already know the "1300 Cabins" is incorrect, it should be 1300 passengers. And HAL now has a choice of traditional fixed-time dining, or open seating if you wish, which the majority of people choose on most cruises.

I think what Dan was referring to was the 56 Day Portion of the Amsterdam's world cruise.

The price for HAL on the Amsterdam is higher than a normal HAL itinerary -- just because it is part of a Grand Voyage and in particular a World Cruise.

for Both Cruises, I would be required to fly from Hawaii a min on 5000 miles going and returning. Both 1 way flights because the "open Jaw" was too far apart to be allowed.

Cabin were 170 pp+ 12 so 182. = $364 per cabin Then amortize the airfare, and extras that Oceaina provides and it is way more expensive for me. Not even considering the restauraunts and art classes that Holland lacks.

My entire point is that you can pay a lot more than you think on Holland America and for me Oceaina is cheaper over all. Do your own math, maybe it is for you too?

I once figured a suite on Regent is a better value than a Suite on Holland.

HawaiinDan,

I am not thinking of any other ships besides the ones you cited, HAL and O. And I quote "Both ships about the same size of about 1300 cabins about the same size."

They are not the same size unless you have several facts wrong.

Oceania's large ships have 633 cabins.:confused:

They are not the same size unless you have several facts wrong.

Oceania's large ships have 633 cabins.:confused:

These are the statistics for the two ships cited in this thread:

HAL AMSTERDAM

Gross Tonnage: 60,874

Length: 768 Feet

Width: 102 Feet

Cabins: 692

Passengers: from 1384 to 1772

Oceania Marina

Gross Tonnage: 66,084

Length: 785 Feet

Width: 106 Feet

Cabins: 629

Passengers: from 1258 to 1548

These are the statistics for the two ships cited in this thread:

HAL AMSTERDAM Gross Tonnage: 60,874

Length: 768 Feet

Width: 102 Feet

Cabins: 692

Passengers: from 1384 to 1772

Oceania Marina

Gross Tonnage: 66,084

Length: 785 Feet

Width: 106 Feet

Cabins: 629

Passengers: from 1258 to 1548

Sorry I got that number wrong..It came straight from Oceania.

I would hate to see Marina with a maximum load!;)

MS AMSTERDAM

Ship's Registry: The Netherlands

Passenger capacity: 1,380

Crew members: 615

Gross tonnage: 62,735 grt

Length: 780 feet

Beam: 105.8

Maximum speed: 22.5 knots

Whatever way you want to play the semantics game, the Marina is still slightly larger in size yet carries fewer passengers. :p

Whatever way you want to play the semantics game, the Marina is still slightly larger in size yet carries fewer passengers.
No semantics game here. I just provided facts from the HAL website. :p:p

And yes, the facts are that Marina is slightly larger in size and carries slightly fewer passengers than Amsterdam.

speaking in general terms....you can say both ships at "about" 1300 passengers to be within a reasonable window, ya' think?

Reminds me of when I was doing survey work and we were turning an angle, and the chain man was told to go back and locate a 3/4 inch pipe which was a corner marker. The chain man yelled back," there's no 3/4 inch pipe".

The Elder surveyour told him he placed it himself in 1929 and to look harder. " Nope... there is no 3/4 in pipe.." he yelled. So, back the old Guy tottered ," G' D' he swore, there it is.".. " Nope" the detail oriented chain man replied.. "not it... see it measures 13/16th"... ( rust added 1/16th in 40 years) "thats not it" And he kept looking

The air turned blue........

So 1300 should suffice boys and girls...ok?

202149.jpg

202443.jpg

Sometimes, photographs are more eloquent than words...

Keep up the good work mate

Not many cabins with balconies on the other Tub :eek:

Very 80 ish style of ship. Sort of a poor mans Cunard :p

Archived