CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Price out the Newark Penn Station Hilton for your date.

Hotels that we recommend at the airport are generally the three hotels on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth - the Marriott Courtyard, the Residence Inn, and Country Inns. We have also recommended the Doubletree, the Renaissance, and Fairfield Inn and there are certainly other acceptable hotels. However, remember that Newark Airport is not a vacation destination and all the hotels cater to a highly transient crowd. To get from the station to any hotel you have to take the monorail to P4 with your luggage to pick up the hotel shuttle. There is no vehicle access to the airport station, so it is not possible to get a cab there.

For a more budget choice look at the Ramada. I am staying there in several weeks and will report back on the experience. The last time I stayed at that property it was a Holiday Inn.

Yes, you still have to take the monorail.

What are you paying for the hotel? How many people? This is the Newark Courtyard, not the Elizabeth Courtyard. I stayed there many years ago. I like the location on the north side of the airport, but it's not a property that we generally recommend or don't recommend.

Yes, you still have to take the monorail.

What are you paying for the hotel? How many people? This is the Newark Courtyard, not the Elizabeth Courtyard. I stayed there many years ago. I like the location on the north side of the airport, but it's not a property that we generally recommend or don't recommend.

we paid $119.53 total for 2 of us thru hotel dot com. I believe it is a non-cancelleable one. We'll have to stay there this time in April but when we get back I will have to book my hotel for my Quantum inaugural.

That's a good price. You will be fine. This Courtyard is in an isolated enclave on the north side of the airport with the Fairfield Inn and Summerhill Suites. It is the only hotel among the three that has food service. Don't expect to be able to go anywhere easily except to walk to the neighboring hotels.

Please post a review when you return so others can benefit from your experience. The hotels at the airport change hands and get upgrades, so it is always good for us to have the most current information.

Edited by 138east

That's a good price. You will be fine. This Courtyard is in an isolated enclave on the north side of the airport with the Fairfield Inn and Summerhill Suites. It is the only hotel among the three that has food service. Don't expect to be able to go anywhere easily except to walk to the neighboring hotels.

Please post a review when you return so others can benefit from your experience. The hotels at the airport change hands and get upgrades, so it is always good for us to have the most current information.

I'll be sure to come back here and report. I bookmarked the link you posted on FB about hotels in the Newark airport area, I see now how the monorail goes. I think our choice will be fine, we don't land in EWR until 9:27 pm so all we need is a place to go to bed as soon as we walk in the room. I'll be calling Independent Driver in March for transportation to the port Saturday morning.

• 5 weeks later...

We're on a Sun departure (3/2) and are arriving from MA on Sat.

I used my Hilton points for 3 rooms @ the Hampton Inn. Any idea how far from the port we'll be? We plan on driving and parking at the port.

We're picking up a friend coming in on Amtrak on Sat. Any suggestions would be VERY welcome!

You'll be about 11-12 miles from the port.

You can pick up your friend at either Newark Airport or Newark Penn Station. For Newark Airport you would drive to the P4 Airtrain monorail station. Your friend would have to get off the train and roll their luggage to the airport station on the monorail and ride one stop to P4. The monorail is free. It would be possible for one person to wait in the car while the other person rode out to the train stop to help with luggage.

For Newark Penn Station you would have to drive into downtown Newark and find your friend at the train station. Your friend would still have to get their luggage from an upper platform down to the street level.

Hello Everyone,

I've been trying to find my answer in previous posts but so far I don't see my exact question with how far back I've gone. My family is driving to the port. Therefore, we don't need to be near the airport, we don't need a shuttle or a place that does park/stay. We know we will stay somewhere, but not sure how far into the drive we want to stay. If we decide to stay closer to the port (versus like 1.5 hours away) where would you suggest? My husband, daughter and I will be coming up on 95. The rest of the family will be coming from the west on 78. The biggest thing is to have a safe, clean room. If given a choice we would much prefer a hotel with a breakfast that is provided. And of course if possible cheaper is better. :)

Thanks!

Sandy

What date are you looking at? Do you want to meet the family that is coming in I78?

The reality is that most of the accommodations are at Newark Airport. The next place with nice accommodations is at exit 10 in Edison, NJ. There are also nice places to stay at exit 8A in Jamesburg and exit 8 in Hightstown.

What is your budget?

If one party is coming across 78, doesn't seem to make sense to go south to 8A or 8...(just MHO...)

There's a decent courtyard at exit 10, a Renaissance on Route 1 in Woodbridge (prob exit 11--it's not spectacular on the outside, but it's nice enough and comfy inside...)

Where are you coming from? We don't want to send either party too far out of the way either...

Hi,

I know you've answered this a hundred times. :)

We are sailing out of NJ Sept. 25th..

there will be 12-16 of us...

6-8 rooms all adults... ages 40-80.

What is the best hotel, which offers shuttle from EWR-hotel.

then has a shuttle reasonable to the pier,

then shuttle back to EWR?

don't want to do the transit...too much with all these people...

LOL

thanks for the help...

oh, we've never cruised out of this port...

we are coming in the day before... :)

I would call Country Inns in Elizabeth and ask what they can do for your group. Normally they offer a cruise package that includes a transfer to the port and and a transfer back to the hotel or the airport. This costs $35/pp on top of the regular room rate. On their website the room is listed at $149 for a king and $159 for two queens and the cruise package is $219 or $229. I would definitely speak to someone to see what kind of deal they can offer for 12-16 people. I know this hotel accommodates bus groups so you should be able to bargain for a discount.

I would also call the Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens on Staten Island to see if they can accommodate a group of 12-16 for airport pickup, rooms, Cruiseport transfer, and return to the airport.

You can probably do better if you package it yourself by booking the rooms and the transportation separately, but I can understand if you don't want to take that on.

Hi,

I know you've answered this a hundred times. :)

We are sailing out of NJ Sept. 25th..

there will be 12-16 of us...

6-8 rooms all adults... ages 40-80.

What is the best hotel, which offers shuttle from EWR-hotel.

then has a shuttle reasonable to the pier,

then shuttle back to EWR?

don't want to do the transit...too much with all these people...

LOL

thanks for the help...

oh, we've never cruised out of this port...

we are coming in the day before... :)

I would try http://www.trinityreservations.com. Maybe they can give you an even better rate than normal with so many rooms. Then use the shuttle service (Independent Driver) and hopefully you can get a big van to take all of you and a good price for it.

I think that going to Staten Island is way out of the way considering that you're starting and ending at EWR, and that you said you don't want to do too much with all the people.

Actually, I realized you don't need the parking.. well, try them anyway and see what they can offer.

Edited by MisterBill99

Carol and Mergr1125,

We are coming up 95 from North Carolina. The rest of the family is coming across 78 from Ohio. The date we are looking for is Saturday June 7th. We would like to all stay at the same hotel. We would like to keep it under $150. If we could even closer to $100 would be better. Also if it makes any difference in your suggestions, we (as a group) would have 3 little ones with us.

I think that is all the questions that you guys asked. If you need any more info I'm happy to provide it.

Thanks so much for your help so far!

-Sandy

Carol and Mergr1125,

We are coming up 95 from North Carolina. The rest of the family is coming across 78 from Ohio. The date we are looking for is Saturday June 7th. We would like to all stay at the same hotel. We would like to keep it under $150. If we could even closer to $100 would be better. Also if it makes any difference in your suggestions, we (as a group) would have 3 little ones with us.

I think that is all the questions that you guys asked. If you need any more info I'm happy to provide it.

Thanks so much for your help so far!

-Sandy

OK...let us think about this for a while.....how many rooms about? 2 or 3??

I am thinking over in the Secaucus area....there are a lot of hotels, and you'd be hmm, 20-ish minutes from the pier, give or take...

Edison, Woodbridge, Secaucus.....let me see....

The people from Ohio can hop onto 287 South from 78 easily enough and catch up with you....it would be less out of the way than you heading that way......let me see what's around those places that are decent...stand by

Everything half decent is in the 125ish to 165ish range that weekend...not sure why, perhaps there's something going on up north...MIGHT be graduations....most colleges are out, but Princeton U is late, so that MIGHT be bumping up SOME rates (yes, hotels within an hour of the school will sell out a year ahead...)

Carol 138 is better with the blind sites than I am (too much of a control freak me!! :eek::D) You have to be somewhat selective in that area...some places are good, some stink.

The new Embassy Suites in Elizabeth by the oft-mentioned Courtyard, Residence Inn and Country inn is 169. Sounds high but you get breakfast and there should be a free social hour. Plus those rooms are larger and you might be able to get away with less rooms if people would crash on sofa beds. Plus it is brand spanking new. I will have to get up there for a look see in the near future...

How many people are you totally? You mentioned you have three little ones - what ages? Can you do a Queen and a sofabed? How many rooms?

I am actually looking at hotels in the area for our larger family for a NY wedding in Sep. It turns out the bride has picked the NYFashion Week weekend to get married. I just made a reservation at Candlewood Suites in Jersey City for three rooms for three nights for a price I can live with.

For June 7 Candlewood is $160 tax included plus $10 parking.

I will look further for you.

Mergr1125 and Carol,

There will be a total of 10 of us. So 3 rooms. One room with 3 adults; one room with 2 adults, a 4 year old and a 1 year old; and the third room with 2 adults and a 1 year old.

What we're trying to do is see what would be a better option for us. Right now we're leaning towards staying near the port. The other option is for my husband, daughter and I to tack 30min onto our traveltime and we'll head up 81 into PA and then we'll meet up with the rest of the family on 78 in the Allentown, PA area.

Thanks to the two of you again! I really appreciate all of this.

Mergr1125 and Carol,

There will be a total of 10 of us. So 3 rooms. One room with 3 adults; one room with 2 adults, a 4 year old and a 1 year old; and the third room with 2 adults and a 1 year old.

What we're trying to do is see what would be a better option for us. Right now we're leaning towards staying near the port. The other option is for my husband, daughter and I to tack 30min onto our traveltime and we'll head up 81 into PA and then we'll meet up with the rest of the family on 78 in the Allentown, PA area.

Thanks to the two of you again! I really appreciate all of this.

If you're doing that....you could also head into Bridgewater, NJ too....not too far from Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton.....

There is a nice Staybridge Suites near the ABE Airport that's about 122 per room, per night ( i searched using 3 rooms, 10 guests.....)

The Courtyard by the Airport is a little less at 119 plus tax.....

again, there are good places in that area, and ones that are kind of icky....

The Bridgewater Marriott (a personal favorite, opposite a nice mall, and many dining options) is 123 AAA rate, and 129 regular, so just under 150 per room, per night with tax...it's a pretty easy 1 hour-ish drive to the pier as well, maybe a little less...depends on traffic....very comfy, and they have great food, both in the lounge and restaurant....and there's a Target about 5-10 minutes away if you forgot anything that you can't get in Bridgewater Commons Mall.

And you're welcome

Edited by megr1125

I need some advise, we are sailing May 4 on the Summit, family of 5, 3 adults 2 kids,and grandmas walker 3 large suitcases and 5 carryons. We need a transfer from the hotel to the pier and then from the ship back to the airport. I see some hotels offer transport from their hotel to the pier. Not sure where to start. Last time I was here stayed at the Crown Plaza and just got a private car, but I don't think we could all fit.

We are really open to staying anywhere, as it appears all hotels close to the airport have a shuttle to their hotel.

Appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Norma