CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Thanks for the advice, ill look into that, tho looking more likely to be a shuttle now that I know the taxi price! Thanks again.:)

What kind of shuttle are you referring to? Folks are not keen on

Supershuttle in NYC if that is what you are referring to.

From the airport to NYC you can do train or airport bus and cab to your hotel. What hotel are you staying in? Public transit and cab is an option to get to Cape Liberty.

Please provide mor details so we can give you better advice.

Hi, I saw some shuttles advertised on gonyc website, not sure of the names sorry.

For the nights prior to the cruise we are staying in Comfort Inn Manhattan and haven't booked the 1 night after the cruise yet. We were going to wait a bit to see if we could get a good hotel a bit cheaper. Thanks.

That's a long wait at EWR for a flight. RCL offers a 4 hour NYC tour with drop off at the airport for $79/pp. Perhaps that would help you kill some time.

Carol, when I checked for our April cruise out of Cape Liberty, this tour wasn't offered. It's listed in Shore Excursions but at the top it says it's not available for my 4-5 booking on EX.

That's too bad. Maybe some folks can provide some creative ideas for killing time at EWR. Once you can check your luggage and get rid of it, you can take your carryons and go upstairs and ride the Airtrain. At the P4 stop you can pickup hotel shuttles - perhaps go the the airport Marriott to hang out for a while. Another option would be to go over to Jersey Gardens Mall.

Just saw this on trinity reservations:

"We were finally sucessful in contracting a hotel near Port Liberty in Bayonne NJ that will include free roundtrip cruise port shuttle with our usual overnight stay and a generous 21 days of free parking! This has taken us 2 years to accomplish so this is no small accomplishment! The Ramada Plaza Hotel at Newark Airport is one of our best selling park sleep fly hotels, having just finished a multi million dollar renovation, we now expect this hotel to be our best selling Park and Cruise hotel for Port Liberty in Bayonne NJ. This hotel has the ability to offer Trinity Reservations affordable Park & Cruise pricing with cruise port shuttle for up to 4 people per room. The hotels in Jersey City and sourrounding areas cannot."

Didn't check prices since I'm not sailing from Bayonne but wanted to post it for others who may be looking for a hotel with a shuttle.

Edited by checkard

Yes - I saw that this week. This is exciting news for park sleeps at Newark. Trinity reservations always has the best rates and they quote tax included. The other park/sleeps quote base price and don't add on the tax until you book.

I think I figured that about $60-70 is added for the round trip shuttle for UP TO FOUR PEOPLE, which means it's only $15/pp rt for a family of four. I've seen the basic rate for just the sleep/park to be $127 tax included for the room and up to 21 days parking.

Yes - I saw that this week. This is exciting news for park sleeps at Newark. Trinity reservations always has the best rates and they quote tax included. The other park/sleeps quote base price and don't add on the tax until you book.

I think I figured that about $60-70 is added for the round trip shuttle for UP TO FOUR PEOPLE, which means it's only $15/pp rt for a family of four. I've seen the basic rate for just the sleep/park to be $127 tax included for the room and up to 21 days parking.

I'm assuming I can book the Ramada 1 night pre-cruise and use their shuttle just to the port even though I don't use the park 'n cruise option?

This is a completely new offering and no one has posted about it yet. I wouldn't make any assumptions. I checked the Ramada web site and I don't see any mention of it at all. You might want to call the hotel to see if you can get more info. Perhaps this is a special deal between Trinity reservations and the Ramada.

The Ramada is located in a relatively isolated enclave on the north side of the airport between the Doubletree and the prison. I stayed at this property when it was a Holiday Inn. It has a ton of parking that is gated but not fenced. The airlines put up flight crews here as well, so there are folks coming and going at all hours (this is good). All these factors make it a less desirable target for vandals and thieves.

I have also used Trinityreservations for a park sleep at the Fairfield. What they do is buy blocks of rooms with parking from the hotel and resell them to folks who specifically want this service. Once the block of rooms is sold, it is sold. Essentially the Ramada gets rooms sold by throwing in the parking perk and Trinity makes money by managing the reservation.

The week before the cruise Trinity will know how many people need cruise transportation. Either they will let the hotel know the numbers and the hotel shuttle will take folks or a special bus will be arranged. This leads me to believe that for the startup period, it's possible that the cruise shuttle will be limited to folks who have purchased the park/sleep. It would certainly be nice if it was available to everyone staying in the hotel.

I emailed Trinity with some questions and am posting their response. To use the shuttle you must book the park/cruise/shuttle through the Trinity website but it is not required that you actually park a car.

1). Can you book this shuttle if you are booking the hotel only (i.e. Just flying in)?

If I understand this correctly, if you don’t drive in but fly in can you book this

Package? Yes absolutely you don’t have to use the parking if you don’t want to.

2) Are there specific shuttle times to go to the port? How do I book a time?

Our reservation form asks for the time needed to go to the port and time to be Picked up from the port. The hotel will do their best to honor these requests, however If two or more reservations are looking to go with in an hour of each other the hotel Will try to coordinate these guests into one run at one time. This will be the same For the pick up from the port. The hotel will coordinate pick up times with guests Prior to their departure for the port.

3). How does the pickup work at Cape Liberty? Are there specific shuttle times?

This has been answered above.

Just to be clear on answer number one, our package Must be purchased even if parking is not being used. The Hotel will not supply shuttle to and from the port without A reservation through us.

I emailed Trinity with some questions and am posting their response. To use the shuttle you must book the park/cruise/shuttle through the Trinity website but it is not required that you actually park a car.

1). Can you book this shuttle if you are booking the hotel only (i.e. Just flying in)?

If I understand this correctly, if you don’t drive in but fly in can you book this

Package? Yes absolutely you don’t have to use the parking if you don’t want to.

2) Are there specific shuttle times to go to the port? How do I book a time?

Our reservation form asks for the time needed to go to the port and time to be Picked up from the port. The hotel will do their best to honor these requests, however If two or more reservations are looking to go with in an hour of each other the hotel Will try to coordinate these guests into one run at one time. This will be the same For the pick up from the port. The hotel will coordinate pick up times with guests Prior to their departure for the port.

3). How does the pickup work at Cape Liberty? Are there specific shuttle times?

This has been answered above.

Just to be clear on answer number one, our package Must be purchased even if parking is not being used. The Hotel will not supply shuttle to and from the port without A reservation through us.

thanks for the info Carol

Hey, Carol! That is good news! We stayed at the Ramada in Oct b4 our cruise to Bermuda (my son's wedding cruise!) We used your suggestion of Independent Driver for that cruise and one previous cruise. ID is still a good service although they do cram you and your luggage into their vans. I'm sure you are sailing again somewhere soon. We just came back from the Breakaway's 2-09 sailing. If you go on NCL at all, try the Breakaway's rope course. It was Fantastic to "walk the plank"!!!!

Hi Stan! Yes it is very good news, particularly if you have 4 people. Independent Driver is excellent as well although we do try to mention that it is the no frills choice.

My next planned trip is the Explorer repo to Port Canaveral next Nov. I've never sailed NCL. My mother really liked RCL so we stuck to that. After she passed away I was already diamond. Now with the double points I have a shot at making a level where I can sail for 150% instead of 200%, so I'm branching out to other RCL ships and intineraries. A hot cruise for Oct 2015 is the 14 day Serenade repo from Quebec to FLL.

Hi Carol: We are doing the Breakaway in October. First time we are doing NCCL....we always do RCCL and love them.

PLEASE, ANY TIPS for the breakaway.

We took the trio package where we eat one night in the Italian, French and Steakhouse. We don't want to make reservations on a night that has Lobster. Do you know which night they have lobster?

Do u eat in the same dining room every night?

Do they have a formal night?

What is the dress code at night?

Sorry for all these questions.

Did you like the Breakaway?

Thanks. Iris

Hi Carol: We are doing the Breakaway in October. First time we are doing NCCL....we always do RCCL and love them.

We took the trio package where we eat one night in the Italian, French and Steakhouse. We don't want to make reservations on a night that has Lobster. Do you know which night they have lobster?

Thanks. Iris

These are questions you need to post on the NCL board. That's where to get answers about the specifics of NCL ships. This board is for exchanging information about east coast departure ports...hotels, transportation, parking, airports, sightseeing, etc.

Hi all. I'm very new to this thread. I love cruise critic as I always get so much help and advice. Now I need another advice and point of view. We are sighed up with RCCL the new ship out of NJ. Our sail date is March 1st 2015. April sailing was not available when we sighed. Due to the weather I didn't book any thing such as Jan. Feb. Now I'm starting to think that even March is too cold. April sailing is open now but $500.00 more PP. Is it worth the extra money? Would March be much to cold? Ship is sailing the Caribbean so if and when May sailing will open up the ports may be to hot. Any of you can help me regarding the March time frame weather? How about reasonable hotel nears the port for one night before cruise? Any ideas? Thanks so much for any help. I rather not cancel the cruise but if I have to I rather do that than go in bad timing. Also what are the best months to cruise out of NJ?

Hi all. I'm very new to this thread. I love cruise critic as I always get so much help and advice. Now I need another advice and point of view. We are sighed up with RCCL the new ship out of NJ. Our sail date is March 1st 2015. April sailing was not available when we sighed. Due to the weather I didn't book any thing such as Jan. Feb. Now I'm starting to think that even March is too cold. April sailing is open now but $500.00 more PP. Is it worth the extra money? Would March be much to cold? Ship is sailing the Caribbean so if and when May sailing will open up the ports may be to hot. Any of you can help me regarding the March time frame weather? How about reasonable hotel nears the port for one night before cruise? Any ideas? Thanks so much for any help. I rather not cancel the cruise but if I have to I rather do that than go in bad timing. Also what are the best months to cruise out of NJ?

We took explorer in march of 2012 and the day we left it was sunny and around 50f. Now, it wasn't march 1st (I think it was around the 15th) and it was a warm day but march weather is always unpredictable in the NE. Even if it is cold (30's), it should be comfortable by the afternoon of day 2.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In March you should have one cool/cold day down and back with 10 days of good weather in between. The Caribbean should be great in March. I sail this route in Jan and Feb and it can vary a lot, but I wouldn't pay $1000 more to sail in April.

The Quantum is a destination ship. It has a covered solarium which the Explorer does not. Plan to spend the money you "save" on the ship activities on the cooler sea days.

What is your hotel budget? You're flying in from California, right? Are you just flying in or do you want to sightsee in NYC as well? Are you two people?

Edited by 138east

Country Inns does, but it's $35/pp so that's $175 for your group. That's way too much money and you have little control over when they will take you to the port. Have a chat with Independent Driver and see what they say. For 5 people it should be about $60 plus tip.

Country Inns also has a one bedroom suite available for your date.

If you don't want to arrange a car service on the way back, you can take a shuttle to the airport for $16/pp.

Thanks for all your information when you say take the shuttle for 16.00 pp, is that a van? Do you have to make advance reservations? Can you decide on the van or a priviate car once you leave the ship or should you have all you plans in place before you leave on the cruise?

You seem to be a weath of knowledge.

Norma

The $16/pp is a shared shuttle van.

You can make plans ahead of time or just wing it when you get off the ship. The problem with plans is that you have to have a cell phone to communicate with the driver to pick a bay number where he will pick you up. Also sometimes it is hard to estimate when you will be able to get off the ship.

There is a dispatcher for all livery services at Bayonne. When you come out of customs you make a left and go down to the dispatcher to arrange transportation. He will quote you a price. I know folks who have taken the shuttle vans and I know others who decided the van was not for them and went with a private car. This is big business for the licensed liveries in Bayonne. The ship arrives early and the disembarkation occurs at a less busy time of day in the livery world, so they are anxious to get the fares.

Thanks. Iris

Like someone else posted.....these questions should be on NCL pages.....

I parked at Alliance garage on 43rd st..... $19 / day

1st night was lobster at O'Sheehan's (we didn't know previously) We had tickets to Cirque Sunday(1st night saves you $10 per ticket which they automatically reimburse if you made reservations online)

You MUST do the ropes course! I recommend renting the GoPro helmet mounted camera for $20, You can make a 1/2 hr video. We also bought a picture of my wife while she was standing on The Plank" ($20) There's a cord to pull to take the picture, if you stand on the sensor, it will be the camera directly over the plank, otherwise, another camera 15 feet forward of the plank will flash when you pull on the cord.

We are staying at the Embassy Suites at Newark airport in April before out Selebrity Summit cruise. What is our best option to get from the hotel to the port. It's just the 2 of us. Cab? shuttle? car service? What can I expect to pay? Thank you