Carnival goes "all inclusive"

Jim Avery

Carnival Cruise Lines has initiated a new policy of all inclusive drinks, soft and hard, for $50 per person per day. Add that up and book a suite and still be relatively "cheap". They also have venues for kids and adults only areas. How about that option Frequent Traveler???:eek::D

There is no way I can indulge in $50 worth of beverages a day and still enjoy a cruise. But you can be sure the ship will be full of 21 year old "adults" who will try to get their money's worth. Knothead is right; disaster waiting to happen. Man Overboard!

Zimmy's DH, but I'm sure she will agree with me.

Well, I read about it and it really is a bummer. All drinks have to be $10 and under to qualify. You can't order a bottle of wine at dinner and get it included. You just get 25% off the bottle of wine. Although you can order by the glass. It does include soft drinks, etc which you normally have to pay extra for too. In addition everyone in the cabin must opt for the program.

Don't think I'd call this all inclusive!

The tips are not extra. The plan is $42.95 per day per person and you pay 15% on top of that which makes it about $50 a day.

I know this is a stupid thought! But we have a condo in downtown Charleston, SC. Carnival sails in and out of there every week. When we are there I see all the ship loading etc. I have thought why don't we book a suite for a five day cruise when we are bored and just see what it's like. We would not have to fly to get to the cruise. As a matter of fact we could leave the car at the condo and walk to the cruise ship. Any one think this is a crazy idea or would you try it? Haven't decided if the drink package is worth it!

Well, Whatnot, you know me! :D There isn't enough booze on board to keep me from cringing at 3000+ of my nearest and dearest best friends on board!! HOWEVER, if you have a really nice suite with a balcony and never have to leave the cabin, it might be doable :):):) Give me Sea Dream (minus kids) any time!!

Vandrefalk

Besides, did you hear about the rape of the 15 year old?????

Yes I saw that a few minutes ago. So sad! I probably would get the penthouse and stay there the whole time. It's just so close and so convenient that I keeping wishing it would be a doable adventure!

I have to come out of the closet here.:eek: Lois & I got married on the second carnival ship ever, the Carnivale. The old Empress of Canada transatlantic liner. A nice old ship. No hairy man contests, etc. We also did what you are talking about, a drive to cruise on the Carnival Holiday out of New Orleans. A fun trip to Cozumel for cheap--except the bar tab cost more than the tickets.:eek: So, what does this have to do with SeaDream?? Ever wonder why we pay the price for a SeaDream Trip??:D:D

Have you ever read the Carnival board? I think the line will lose money at $50.00 per day all inclusive and/or have massive problems trying to cutoff people who have elected the all inclusive option

Yes I am trying a mass market -- but not Carnevil, Jim. Assuming DS can skip class thanksgiving week. It's not SD but I can hide in our Suite (larger than SD cabin) with our balcony. Whatnot- try it once. If you don't like it, never do it again. But then you will know.

FT

I have thought why don't we book a suite for a five day cruise when we are bored and just see what it's like. We would not have to fly to get to the cruise. As a matter of fact we could leave the car at the condo and walk to the cruise ship. Any one think this is a crazy idea...

I think it's a GREAT idea - we would be more than happy to house sit your condo and eat/drink our way through Charleston (S.N.O.B. here we come!) while you try out the Megacruise.

Then, when you get back, you can update us all here so we can have another fun trip report to read! :D

whatnot, with your geography, literally able to walk to the dock, I wouldn't think twice about it. I don't even think you need to upgrade to a penthouse, but that's just me.

I've done 2 carnival cruises in my lifetime--both with girlfriends, and we had a blast. For me, it's mostly about the company.

I guess I prefer extremely high thread Egyptian cotton sheets, but I can still sleep on 100 count if the weather is nice, and the drinks flow.

whatnot, with your geography, literally able to walk to the dock, I wouldn't think twice about it. I don't even think you need to upgrade to a penthouse, but that's just me.

I've done 2 carnival cruises in my lifetime--both with girlfriends, and we had a blast. For me, it's mostly about the company.

I guess I prefer extremely high thread Egyptian cotton sheets, but I can still sleep on 100 count if the weather is nice, and the drinks flow.

Have to agree. At least on CCL you expect to have kids everywhere.

Have to agree. At least on CCL you expect to have kids everywhere.

Not so. On our CCL cruises, lots of kids but they have their own areas. And, there are adult only areas and guess what, they enforced it.:eek::D

But does Carnival adult = SeaDream adult? Present company excepted, of course. We haven't seen too many instances of SeaDream (or SilverSea) passengers trying to get their money's worth at the bar. Have to admit, though, that we have never sailed Carnival. But we have seen enough weddings with open bars to know how twenty-somethings drink when it is on someone else's dime.

Zimmy's DH again

But does Carnival adult = SeaDream adult?

Zimmy's DH again

Of course not. At least, as a rule. We SD passengers are classier, more worldly, kinder, more intelligent, yada, yada. . .did I say classier? :p :D ;)

Seriously though, in my experience, there is a difference in clientele, but it's not hard to figure out why (coughcoughageandcostcoughcough). And just for the record, the differences don't make one set of clientele better than the other. I'm sure you know that.

Jim, are we still on track here? ;)

Of course not. At least, as a rule. We SD passengers are classier, more worldly, kinder, more intelligent, yada, yada. . .did I say classier? :p :D ;)

Seriously though, in my experience, there is a difference in clientele, but it's not hard to figure out why (coughcoughageandcostcoughcough). And just for the record, the differences don't make one set of clientele better than the other. I'm sure you know that.

Jim, are we still on track here? ;)

Oh yeah, we blend.:eek:

• 2 months later...

I love the idea of all inclusive for $100 a day (per stateroom for two). I don't drink wine or any other really expensive drink, so you think I would not think this was a great idea. But for all you beer drinkers out there... beer at $5 a pop even with a bucket, split between 2: That's $10 per beer for you and your dh, 10 drinks and 100 seems like nothing. For one day on the cruise, it seems like a great option. Now for the whole week, that's a different story!

Archived