Need Suggestions for economical travel Civitavecchia to Rome besides taking train

shoesonfire

Just found out there are 7 cruise ships in port the day we planned to diy in Rome by taking the train from Civitavecchia and back. Could be a very busy day and would like to know what other economical transfers that others have taken and would recommend. We are 2 couples, and perhaps can get 4 more from our cruise to join.

Thanks, I had read about smartcruisetours before, but could not remember the link. I just checked and they also do one way, which may work out okay for us as our ship doesn't leave port until close to midnight that day. This will be a little more expensive if we also pay for a return trip on the regular train later in the day, but still more economical than hiring a car. Hope it works out. Didn't plan on so many ships in port same day.

Since you have a longer day, you could wait and leave a bit later than the masses and use the regular regional train. Most of the DIYers will be out the door and trying to get the earliest trains, which would be the 7:36, 8:02 and the 8:41. If you wait and aim for the 9:05 or the 9:19 you'll miss most of the cruise ship folks as well as the bulk of the commuters.

Euro Cruiser: You just helped me stay with my original plan of taking the Reg. train. I got panicky when I read about 7 cruise ships in port thinking I needed to rework our plan for the day. I even looked at the smart cruise bus transfer, chatted with our travel companions, and finally agreed we should just bide our time,take the Reg. train and stay on course. Then I saw your post and it cinched the deal!! You also helped earlier with my diy in Rome for a Day, thank you so much!

How long are regional train tickets good for? My thought was to buy a return ticket to Rome at the station when we arrive to depart on our cruise as most embarking cruisers would be on there way--when we return from our cruise we could avoid the early morning ticket lines at the train station-

Paul

How long are regional train tickets good for? My thought was to buy a return ticket to Rome at the station when we

They are good for two months from purchase. I don't know if the information is on the English language pages of the Trenitalia site, but here it is in Italian: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=34a55081a06ba110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD#2

I have a related question. If there are 4 cruise ships and nearly 16,000 cruise passengers in Rome on the same day at the same time, is there a chance I will not be able to get on the train at all from San Pietro station to Civitavecchia at 4:30? I'm really worried about this! I'm planning to end my day at St. Peter's Basilica and then just walk to San Pietro station, but I've read that I might not be able to get on here because the train fills up at Termini.

Keep in mind that only a small fraction of those cruise passengers will be taking the train; the majority of the passengers will be residents heading home from the city.

That said, it may well be very crowded. However, I've never known a train not to stop and let people on. You may have to stand for part or all of the trip ... we did when returning on a busy July day.

I have a related question. If there are 4 cruise ships and nearly 16,000 cruise passengers in Rome on the same day at the same time, is there a chance I will not be able to get on the train at all from San Pietro station to Civitavecchia at 4:30? I'm really worried about this! I'm planning to end my day at St. Peter's Basilica and then just walk to San Pietro station, but I've read that I might not be able to get on here because the train fills up at Termini.

We have gotten on at San Pietro when it was very crowded, we could get on but we had to stand for well over half the trip until enough locals got off at various stops along the way.

One strategy is to head to the very ends of the track, away from everyone else who is waiting. Also, be sure not to take the very last train that will get you back in time, that way you can take a later train if anything goes wrong.

This is great advise. I have found that the first or last car is much less crowded. Even if you have to stand you don't want to be squashed in with others too close. It's much too easy to get pickpocketed that way.

One strategy is to head to the very ends of the track, away from everyone else who is waiting. Also, be sure not to take the very last train that will get you back in time, that way you can take a later train if anything goes wrong.

I will be sure to remember that! Thanks! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I had gone through the post, Many agencies offers various types of services at different packages. Most of them are prefer the train journey why because it offers less amount while compare to other vehicles. What are the price details of train journey to Rome ?

If you are going into Rome for the day to sightsee and plan to return to the ship, you can purchase a special ticket called BIRG, which provides round-trip transportation on the regional train to Rome and also includes free use of the metro and buses in Rome for one day. This costs 12 euro. You must validate the ticket before you get on the train for the first time.

If you are just going to Rome at the end of a cruise, a one-way ticket on a regional train is 5 euro.

Archived