Public Toilets in Venice? Wifi?

sr5242

Forty years of international travel has taught us to generally avoid public restrooms.....especially if you must pay. Most public restrooms are not very nice places. In Europe the answer is cafes! Rather then paying to use some dingy public restroom which you normally have to walk blocks to find we simply stop at a nice looking cafe and order coffee, tea, beer, wine, etc. You can then use their restrooms while you also enjoy the beverage and people watching.

Hank

Just be careful where you have your beverage in the San Marco area. Those with music have a nice cover charge. It can be 10 ro 12 Euros for a cup of coffee.

thanks everyone! 10-12 euros- that certainly would be an expensive potty break!

Just be careful where you have your beverage in the San Marco area. Those with music have a nice cover charge. It can be 10 ro 12 Euros for a cup of coffee.

Great advice. There is a reason why the large cafes in St Marks Square are usually empty. But we also prefer to avoid St Marks Square when in Venice as there are just so many other parts of the area that have more charm.

Hank

Should have commented on WiFi. Back in April we lugged our small netbook around and looked for free WiFi and it is hard to find in Venice. But if you walk down along the Giudecca Canal heading away from St Marks Sq (keeping the canal on your left) after you cross a few foot bridges you will see a few cafes in the buildings opposite the water. As we walked in this area we stumbled on a cute small cafe that hada a small sign next to their blackboard menu that said free Wifi. Since it was sunny we went inside (to get some shade) and I bought a good cappucino and asked to use their Wifi. They gave me their code, DW took advantage and used the rest room, and I had very fast WiFi for the price of a cup of coffee. Sorry that I cannot remember the name of the place, but after you walk about 3 bridges down from St Marks just keep walking and look for the sign.

Hank

When I read your thread title, I thought for a minute that you were looking for a public toilet with wifi! :p I thought "Gosh, modern travellers are getting so sophisticated!"

At 1.50 Euros per visit (about US$1.90), they should have wifi.

At 1.50 Euros per visit (about US$1.90), they should have wifi.

I can't remember what country it was, maybe Russia, but there were these little old ladies who would just stand in the public bathrooms to "assist" by their mere presence and would then scream at you if you didn't tip them!

I can't remember what country it was, maybe Russia, but there were these little old ladies who would just stand in the public bathrooms to "assist" by their mere presence and would then scream at you if you didn't tip them!

LOL - I've run into those same ladies in Hungary, the Czech Republic and Italy. I wonder if they have a union?

We saw them in Germany and Czech Republic last month. Our guide called them the Bathroom Dragon.

Forty years of international travel has taught us to generally avoid public restrooms.....especially if you must pay. Most public restrooms are not very nice places. In Europe the answer is cafes! Rather then paying to use some dingy public restroom which you normally have to walk blocks to find we simply stop at a nice looking cafe and order coffee, tea, beer, wine, etc. You can then use their restrooms while you also enjoy the beverage and people watching.

Hank

Then you have to go to another cafe to use the restroom from the results of the first drink at the cafe!!!:D:D

Archived