Time zone changes

Hi! We are booked on B2B Princess cruises to Norway (midnight sun cruise) and the Baltic. The Ocean Princess only has fixed eating times. Since we normally like to eat about 6:30 we chose the the earlier 6pm seating. It occurred to me recently that as both cruises go east out of Dover we will be moving our clocks forward...2 hrs for Norway, 4 hours for St Peterburg! I'm wondering now if we should have chosen the later seating. I just can't go to bed on a full stomach. I am thinking of staying on the early seating for Norway as we'll pretty much spend the whole trip in the same time zone. But with the Baltic segment being so port intensive and so many time zones, maybe we should switch to a later seating. ( I do realize that I will have the reverse problem with time zones going back to Dover)

Anyone want to share their experience with the changing time zones and eating?

We are from the west coast of the US so will have already adjusted to the 8 hours time difference when we board at Dover, England. My concern was just what you stated. A 6pm eating time in St Petersburg will be like 2pm back in Dover and I worry that it might be TOO early to eat. I guess if I get hungary I can always visit the buffet later.

We just sailed round trip to Hawaii this last Spring and found the frequent time zone changes influenced when we ate (anytime dining on that ship). So we were curious how others with fixed traditional dining felt about it on Baltic cruises.

we flew from the east coast of US and stayed 3 days in Copenhagen, so by the time we were on the ship we had adjusted. From what I remember, once on the ship there were 2 time changes of 1 hour each, each way????

we did anytime dining, but typically went to eat around 6 PM - hate going to bed on a full stomach and on port intensive cruises we usually get up early.

We are from the west coast of the US so will have already adjusted to the 8 hours time difference when we board at Dover, England. My concern was just what you stated. A 6pm eating time in St Petersburg will be like 2pm back in Dover and I worry that it might be TOO early to eat. I guess if I get hungary I can always visit the buffet later. We just sailed round trip to Hawaii this last Spring and found the frequent time zone changes influenced when we ate (anytime dining on that ship). So we were curious how others with fixed traditional dining felt about it on Baltic cruises.

YES, it is good that you are considering your options now, ahead of time. Coming from the west coast is a long, long distance!! And, you correctly note that the Baltics involves lots of time zone changes, PLUS, those areas being very, very "port intensive". This is not a normal, low-key type of cruise.

Be creative with your evening dining options!! We have not been on the Ocean Princess, but hopefully they have some other evening dining potentials in addition to the Main Dining Room. Maybe, some type of evening buffet, special dining, in-room dining, etc. You just might not have the full amount of time and schedule flexibility to do the normal main dining room experience on all of the evenings.

How early do you get into England before departing from Dover? In 2008 when we did the Baltics and Russia, we departed from Dover, but spent five great days exploring southern UK, including Kent area and many castles, gardens and unique, historic houses, etc. What's your pre-cruise plan to allow your body clock to adjust from the time zone changes and long flight times? What ports are you doing along the scenic Norway coast? Below you can see a live/blog on our 2010 experiences along that great coast, doing Bergen, seeing the fjords, etc.

Tell us more and we can share added info and suggestions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 79,448 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 99,695 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

YES

How early do you get into England before departing from Dover? In 2008 when we did the Baltics and Russia, we departed from Dover, but spent five great days exploring southern UK, including Kent area and many castles, gardens and unique, historic houses, etc. What's your pre-cruise plan to allow your body clock to adjust from the time zone changes and long flight times? What ports are you doing along the scenic Norway coast? Below you can see a live/blog on our 2010 experiences along that great coast, doing Bergen, seeing the fjords, etc.

Tell us more and we can share added info and suggestions.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 79,448 views.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 99,695 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We will be arriving 5 days earlier in the UK and visiting friends in Surrey. So hopefully we will have adjusted to the 8 hour time difference by the time we leave Dover. We will then be doing the Norway cruise which as someone pointed out is only an hour difference so that's no big deal. Ports include: Flam, Tromso, Spitsbergen Island, Honningsvag, Kirkenes, Gravdal, Geiranger and Bergen.

The Ocean Princess does have a buffet option and that may be our best choice on many of the long port days...especially St Petersburg. I can imagine getting back to the ship exhausted and not wanting to dress for dinner. I had forgotten in room dining. That too is an option. I guess we might keep our 6pm dining time as our days at sea don't involve big time changes and be creative (as you suggested) as we go further east.

Thanks for the link to your trip.

We will be arriving 5 days earlier in the UK and visiting friends in Surrey. So hopefully we will have adjusted to the 8 hour time difference by the time we leave Dover. We will then be doing the Norway cruise which as someone pointed out is only an hour difference so that's no big deal. Ports include: Flam, Tromso, Spitsbergen Island, Honningsvag, Kirkenes, Gravdal, Geiranger and Bergen. The Ocean Princess does have a buffet option and that may be our best choice on many of the long port days...especially St Petersburg. I can imagine getting back to the ship exhausted and not wanting to dress for dinner. I had forgotten in room dining. That too is an option. I guess we might keep our 6pm dining time as our days at sea don't involve big time changes and be creative (as you suggested) as we go further east. Thanks for the link to your trip.

Sounds like a great plan and that you are preparing accordingly. And, being flexible, researching ahead, etc. Glad you've got the added time in the UK before departing from Dover.

Super great that you are going ALL of the way up to the North Cape. As detailed in the live/blog connected below, we visited Flam, Tromso, Honningsvag, Gravdal, Geiranger and Bergen. Below are a few samples of my visuals to get you excited about these areas, the potentials there, etc. If you like these six pictures, there are many, many more to get you ready for your Norway experience on this posting I did as we explored this spectacular and scenic area.

Don't be shy! Let us know any added questions as you research and prepare.

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Tromso along the Norway Coast. The Arctic Cathedral is shown bottom right in this picture.:

TromsoOverallCityView.jpg

This is one of my many puffin visuals, showing their bright orange feet, plus their cute and unique beaks. We had a private boat from is the harbor in Gjesvaer near the North Cape.:

BirdRockPuffinFeet.jpg

Here is one view of the North Cape as we approached and the clouds started to clear and the sun broke through showing a great blue sky.:

NorthCapeFullLookGreen.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. :

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

Gorgeous photos, Terry! When were you there, if I may ask? What month were the photos taken?

jill

Thanks, Jill! As noted below, it was in the first half of July 2010 when we did that Norway coast cruise. July is the best month for Norway and we enjoyed such super weather. Below are a few more visuals on the Flam Rail adventure, Bergen, North Cape, etc.

Added questions and reactions?

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

While visiting Flam, here are two pictures and highlights from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views. This includes a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, the waterfall that our train stopped so we could see it up close and personal, etc.:

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

As we drove back on the Lofoten Islands along the western Norway Coast, here is a view, among many, we enjoyed during our DIY adventure to A as the sound end of the main road in this exciting area of Norway.:

LofotenRockBoatsDramatic.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

Archived