alternative dining cover charge

Manxmaid

Am I reading the brochure incorrectly or is there a cover charge for all alternative dining venues in the evening? I am sure that last time we cruised we did not pay to eat in the Kings Court on QM2 or Lido on QV. Apart from the designated restaurant, is there anywhere one can eat in the evening without needing to pay a cover charge? We enjoy the Britannia Restaurant but sometimes we like a change. Thanks for your help.

On the QM2 there are 4 areas in the King's Court that offer different types of food: The Chef's Galley, La Piazza, The Carvery and Lotus. In the evening one of them is always a free buffet and the others are by reservations at $10 per person. They rotate each day and you can find out in advance which one will be the buffet by checking with the head waiters in The King's Court. It is also posted on the back of the Daily Programme. The Chef's Galley doesn't rotate as it's a small place and offers cooking demonstrations with a different theme each evening.

On the QV the buffet is always available without any additional payment. A small part of the Lido is blocked off each evening for themed dinners at $10 a head.

Am I reading the brochure incorrectly or is there a cover charge for all alternative dining venues in the evening? I am sure that last time we cruised we did not pay to eat in the Kings Court on QM2 or Lido on QV. Apart from the designated restaurant, is there anywhere one can eat in the evening without needing to pay a cover charge? We enjoy the Britannia Restaurant but sometimes we like a change. Thanks for your help.

Yes, the $10 fee started a few years back. Personally on our Jan.trip on QV we found the lido tastings to be worth the $10. the food/ambience were excellent. No feel of being rushed(which is frequent in first seating).

These days, on Cunard ships in the evening, if passengers choose to dine in any alternative restaurant (ie not the Britannia Restaurant, Grills or the self-serve buffet), there is a second charge to eat the food they have already paid for.

Have a great time, Bon Voyage! :) .

These days, on Cunard ships in the evening, if passengers choose to dine in any alternative restaurant (ie not the Britannia Restaurant, Grills or the self-serve buffet), there is a second charge to eat the food they have already paid for.

Have a great time, Bon Voyage! :) .

have to disagree a bit. Not the food already paid for. On QV, as KEITHM has stated, it was very good and quite different from any other venue options at the Themed areas of the Lido. All the usual venues are available, including room service, at no charge. The $10 extra venue is, IMHO, well worth it and keep in mind that no one is forced to partake of this option.:D:D

have to disagree a bit. Not the food already paid for. On QV, as KEITHM has stated, it was very good and quite different from any other venue options at the Themed areas of the Lido. All the usual venues are available, including room service, at no charge. The $10 extra venue is, IMHO, well worth it and keep in mind that no one is forced to partake of this option.:D:D

Hi Jim,

Of course I agree that no one is forced to use an alternative restaurant :) .

I've not heard a bad word said recently about the food or service in the Kings Court or Lido in the evenings.

It is just my personal experience of eating there in the past that has put me off for good.

In the UK (might be different in the US?) we pay, as part of our fare, for an evening meal whilst on board. If I pay to eat in the Kings Court in the evening, having not eaten in the Britannia Restaurant, then I am paying a second time for one evening meal. Hence my post above.

One could argue that the meal is of a higher quality or better prepared than in the MDR, and that is reflected in the extra fee. But Cunard do not seem, to me, to promote this view.

Things may well have improved since I last dined in the Kings Court (for "free") in the evening (2006 & 2008). On the first occasion (Carvery) the service was dreadful, wrong meals going to wrong tables and eventually... (yawn) ... arriving cold. Second time (Lotus) the service was fantastic but the food was all but inedible. I've no desire to rush back and pay $10 to do so.

Plus, on QM2 in the Kings Court, one is dining in a public corridor, and have you heard the noise shoes, or worse still, food trolleys, make when crossing those tiles?

Very best wishes, :) :) .

Hi Pepper.

You hit the nail on the head for QM2. The Kings Court area (and other interior spaces) are not up to the useability of QV (dont know QE yet). We were most happy with the themed venue on QV but, as you say, it is not so on QM2. But then, the Vistas are not even in the same league as the one and only Ocean Liner left when it comes to sea keeping and comfortable ride.:D:D

I fully agree with you here, the MDR, Buffet etc are all still included in the fare, the extra restaurants are just a fe $$$ more $10 or £7 and well worth every penny, the food, service etc is fantastic .

Also the venue is free for Diamond members that don't use the Todd English lunch

Yes, the $10 fee started a few years back. Personally on our Jan.trip on QV we found the lido tastings to be worth the $10. the food/ambience were excellent. No feel of being rushed(which is frequent in first seating).

I prefer 2nd seating, but a few times we have gone on the 1st seating with good friends, its always a treat to go to la piazza at least once and well worth the extra $10.

On almost all other ships I have been on these venues would be around $20 extra, so Cunard gives great value

Just back from the QV where we enjoyed a great indian meal with fantasic service. First time on QV and the Lido was superb. The Lido on deck 9 was a great buffet location with the great views and excellent views, with the alternative dining theme of the night (Coriander/Prime/Asian?) tuned into a sealed of space...great views...great food.. well worth the extra $10 each (i did moan on this forum about extra charges being introduced and these arent the end..room service in time will be charged.

These charges should be suspended at least for longer cruises as diners naturally look for different options.

Coriander we will be back in January.

Archived