Seattle hotel help

mcat12

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I have spent the last 7 days reading over 100 threads here about Seattle, Seattle hotels, things to do, etc. so please don't think I'm being lazy, I am just overwhelmed!!

I am looking to reserve a hotel in downtown Seattle for 2 nights pre-cruise next May. We plan on going to go to Pikes Market, the needle, the ferris wheel and the Klondike museum--complete tourists, I know ;-)

My husband and I are not "hotel snobs" but we also don't want to stay in an unsafe area. We just want a clean, safe place to sleep since we won't be spending much time in the room, without spending $200+ a night.

Any suggestions? We are a military family if that helps (discount).

Thank you

We stayed at the Red Lion last year. It is in a very good, downtown location and we enjoyed our stay. The rates are well under $200. We are also a military family (my husband an I are both retired after 20+ years). Can't tell you about any discounts, though.

Thanks reef girl for the reply. I called and their rate is $249/night for the dates we need. The clerk told me that there was a music festival---which could be why the rate is higher. I will keep searching and trying on Priceline.

Are you coming around Memorial Day? The Northwest Folklife festival at Seattle Center is the only thing then that I can imagine would be going on, and usually that's much more a locals' thing than for out-of-towners.

Look at the Maxwell Hotel, the Hyatt at Olive 8, and the Homewood Suites on Pike, all of which appear to have rates below $200 for Memorial Day weekend.

There is no "s" in the Pike (Place) market.

People get great deals on Priceline ... read the STICKY at the top of the page to see recent bids.

The Seattle Center area tends to be less expensive because it's away from the downtown core, but as long as you can walk a few blocks to the monorail, downtown is certainly easy to get to.

I assume you've used Expedia or similar sites and plugged in your dates and budget. Are there hotels you're considering and need help with?

We've been very happy at the Red Lion and the Hyatt on Olive & 8th.

When we booked the Red Lion we had the option of booking with or without breakfast. Saved almost $30 by not having breakfast at the hotel. We walked 5 minutes to Pike Market and had a perogi.

For very inexpensive there is always the Green Tortoise Hostel two steps away from Pike Market. It looked clean in June.

http://www.greentortoise.net/

On our last trip out of Seattle we stayed at the Silver Cloud Inn on Lake Union south. We were very impressed. Large two room suite with small kitchen, two flat screen tvs, free high speed wireless, very nice hot breakfast in a glass covered indoor/outdoor dining room included. The area is secure and upscale. Many restaurants on the docks of the lake. Recommend Citrus and Duke's Chowder house. There is a light rail stop two long blocks away that takes you to the center of downtown transportation hub and the Westin hotel which is also a good choice if the price is right. We took the light rail from the airport walked two blocks to the second trolley to the hotel. The Silver Cloud also has a shuttle bus that runs a regular route to many of the tourist spots. If I remember right we paid about $129/night.

Jim

My Hubby and I are staying at the Mayflower Park Hotel in 2 weeks. I can't say yet how we like it... but we picked it because the price was good, it is walking distance to Pike Place Market and the Lightrail, and they had a pre-cruise package that uncluded breakfast and the shuttle to the cruise terminal (for under $199). I will let you know how we like it, but we are very easy to please so you should just check it out. :)

Oh, and the pre-cruise package has to be booked through them, not hotels.com etc.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Gardyloo-- sorry for the extra 's', my only explanation is that I'm originally a NYer, so we pluralize things at times, ie-- 'youS guyS' ;-)

Mapleleaves-- I read through the sticky. Well the first 20 threads an the last 20 and actually posted our 'winning' bid to it. I felt there were a lot more SEATAC hotels listed than downtown.

K-Dogg-- please let me know how your stay goes as that is the hotel we ended up with through Priceline. We got it for $100/night which I am pleased with. I spoke with the hotel clerk yesterday and he was very friendly and informative.

If anyone has experience with the Mayflower Park hotel, please share! Thank you all again :)

K-Dogg-- please let me know how your stay goes as that is the hotel we ended up with through Priceline. We got it for $100/night which I am pleased with. I spoke with the hotel clerk yesterday and he was very friendly and informative.

If anyone has experience with the Mayflower Park hotel, please share! Thank you all again :)

Will do!!

We'll be staying there one night (Sept 7th) and will be back home Sept 16th. So I will let you know around that time. :)

I have called a few times and had great friendly service every time! We are taking the Lightrail from Sea/Tac to the Hotel, and their shuttle to the cruise terminal. So I will be able to report how all of that goes as well. Wish me luck! ;)

Gardyloo-- sorry for the extra 's', my only explanation is that I'm originally a NYer, so we pluralize things at times, ie-- 'youS guyS' ;-)

Mapleleaves-- I read through the sticky. Well the first 20 threads an the last 20 and actually posted our 'winning' bid to it. I felt there were a lot more SEATAC hotels listed than downtown.

No big - it's one of those things that locals either (a) tune out or (b) grimace over, like people calling California "Cali" or the (so dreaded you almost never hear it any more) "Frisco." I fall into (b) for my sins, surely a sign of aging. (Get off my lawn, you little brats!)

The Mayflower is one of the best choices you could make IMO. It's next door to the light rail entrance, so no schlepping if you chose that route into town; it's across the street from the entrance to Westlake Center for the Seattle Center monorail (Space Needle, EMP, Science Center, Chihuly Self-Aggrandizement Park, etc.) It's about a 5 min. walk from the Pike Place market, buses to everywhere within a block or two, in the middle of shopping (Macy's, Nordstrom, et al) and there are lots of restaurants nearby. Plus it's a pretty classy hotel.

I've stayed at the Mayflower twice. My daughter lives in Seattle, and I visit often, always staying in hotels. The Mayflower is an older, but nice hotel right in the middle of downtown, great location. The only possible downside--each time, I have stayed downtown on weekends, it can be noisy at night. (I'm a light sleeper, so maybe it wouldn't bother others.) You got a great price. Enjoy your cruise and Seattle! It's a great city, especially if you are not driving!

No big - it's one of those things that locals either (a) tune out or (b) grimace over, like people calling California "Cali" or the (so dreaded you almost never hear it any more) "Frisco." I fall into (b) for my sins, surely a sign of aging. (Get off my lawn, you little brats!)

My grumpy local person cringe - it is the Space Needle. Not the Needle. Seattle doesn't need any more drug reference than it comes by legitimately. :o

Can you post the details of your bid? Downtown - Area 13 definitely but what about # of stars and the price you started at. Appreciate it!!

We have stayed at the Mayflower Park and in fact are scheduled to stay again in October. While the building may be older it has been extensively restored and is in great shape. The location is perfect and the staff wonderful. We love the breakfasts at Andaluca and also enjoy the ambience of Oliver's. We have found the rooms to be quiet. And it is a totally non-smoking facility.

I've stayed at the Mayflower twice. My daughter lives in Seattle, and I visit often, always staying in hotels. The Mayflower is an older, but nice hotel right in the middle of downtown, great location. The only possible downside--each time, I have stayed downtown on weekends, it can be noisy at night. (I'm a light sleeper, so maybe it wouldn't bother others.) You got a great price. Enjoy your cruise and Seattle! It's a great city, especially if you are not driving!

We are so what is the problem with driving?:confused: We are staying at the Nexus Hotel

Traffic can be surprisingly bad. And currently I am hard pressed to drive 5 minutes without coming across detours, freeway exits blocked off & my whole path needing to be rerouted in ways that don't help me get anywhere in the time frame I had allowed. No matter what part of town, I guess the powers that be decided every road had to be fixed at the same time.

Can you post the details of your bid? Downtown - Area 13 definitely but what about # of stars and the price you started at. Appreciate it!!

It took me two days of bidding. I started at $90 for a 4 star in downtown, then added city center ($92), then added 3.5 stars ($93), then 3 stars ($95). When that didn't work I added the area Brothel (knowing I didn't want to stay there, but that they don't have higher than a 2.5 star hotel in that area) which allowed me to bid again. I bid $98 and was rejected. So I waited until the next day and started out at $100, 3 stars+ and it was accepted. So I put in the same for our return cruise date and again it was accepted. hope that helps!

It took me two days of bidding. I started at $90 for a 4 star in downtown, then added city center ($92), then added 3.5 stars ($93), then 3 stars ($95). When that didn't work I added the area Brothel (knowing I didn't want to stay there, but that they don't have higher than a 2.5 star hotel in that area) which allowed me to bid again. I bid $98 and was rejected. So I waited until the next day and started out at $100, 3 stars+ and it was accepted. So I put in the same for our return cruise date and again it was accepted. hope that helps!

Um, would that be Bothell, perhaps? (I used to work at the university there, and the students did call it that, but I don't think Priceline does!)

Traffic can be surprisingly bad. And currently I am hard pressed to drive 5 minutes without coming across detours, freeway exits blocked off & my whole path needing to be rerouted in ways that don't help me get anywhere in the time frame I had allowed. No matter what part of town, I guess the powers that be decided every road had to be fixed at the same time.
THANKS,

We will be coming in on Thur. the 6th . After 6 pm I think. We will be coming in on I 90 . The Nexus Hotel is at 2140 N. Northgate Way. If you have any ideas about our route please tell us:).

THANKS again,

Woody

THANKS,

We will be coming in on Thur. the 6th . After 6 pm I think. We will be coming in on I 90 . The Nexus Hotel is at 2140 N. Northgate Way. If you have any ideas about our route please tell us:).

THANKS again,

Woody

Take the I-90 exit to I-5 northbound ("Vancouver BC") and go around 6 miles north to the Northgate Way exit. Turn left off the exit ramp and stay in the left lane. You want to turn left (back under the freeway) at the signal and you'll see your hotel on the right around a block ahead.

Take the I-90 exit to I-5 northbound ("Vancouver BC") and go around 6 miles north to the Northgate Way exit. Turn left off the exit ramp and stay in the left lane. You want to turn left (back under the freeway) at the signal and you'll see your hotel on the right around a block ahead.

Thanks, It sounds easy enough. I have a Garmin but it never knows about construction and stuff.

Woody

I love that! :D Brothel. I've heard people calling it Both-Hell, but I much prefer Brothel.

Um, would that be Bothell, perhaps? (I used to work at the university there, and the students did call it that, but I don't think Priceline does!)

Oh my goodness!! Stupid auto-correct!! LOL

Archived