Royal Caribbean - The Nickel and Dime Cruise Line

Yes, I agree. Back in 1977 we paid more for a 3 day Miami/Bahamas cruise (I think around 300 pp) with a tiny port hole and a lot less to do. In 1999 we pd. over 2000 pp for a 7 day Alaska OV, although soda was included we do not drink it. That was the Dawn Princess, not an upscale line. Anyway, in a couple weeks, we too, will sail on the ExOS but are only paying about 700 pp for a balcony. To me, although more a pain to think about prices for items, the cruise itself (with sales etc) can be a much better price and buy the extras you really want. And today's dollars are worth much less than back then so a cruise was a bigger percentage of earnings as well.

I agree. I am amazed at how they have managed to keep the cruise costs down. Considering how much it use to cost. If you translate that $300 pp into today's dollars, that same cruise would have cost you ~$1,110 pp today. In relation to what you get today, we have come a long way from where we were.

1. Never have had a band from Poland playing at the pool on a Caribbean cruise...until HAL.

2.Food bland, designed to not offend the older pallette.

3.Shhh...ship goes to sleep at 10pm

4.Caution....the number of motorized chairs and wheelchairs clutter the hallways starting around 10p...(PS, I have had to use one of these, so save the PC attitude about the disabled or elderly..I have my very own handicap sticker for my vehicle.)

5. The entertainment is "limited" and scarce.

You are welcome ot HAL...a really great cruise line for a specific passenger group...I will take RCI....it fits our idea of enjoying a week!

PS..30 years ago, a simple outside cabin on SS Norway was $1,700 per person...no such thing as OBC....I will take the "nickel and diming" and save the $$$$$ at the time of booking!

I think those $900 per day are at least for the three pax in the cabin, or maybe even for the 6 within the party.:rolleyes:

The question for we consumers is: are we going to allow RCCL to do this and ultimately make the owners even richer than they already are, or will we stand up and say "no," your profits are already more than adequate? To say that we were disappointed with our experience is an understatement. But it goes beyond that. If we as consumers allow Royal Caribbean to charge for the smaller things, pretty soon it will be everything.

I have no reason to stand up and say no, I´m fine with the way things are now.

I took my first cruise last year and did a lot of my research before hand to know what was included and not. I can get OJ at breakfast without a problem, but the "Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice" was being hyped by one guy for an extra charge. I've been cutting down on my soda intake and I really do like lemonade so I don't see that as a problem. And I'm not the richest person in the world and don't eat at a 4-5 star restaurant nightly so I thought the food was really good (ok, the WJ buffet does need some work for lunch and yes the steaks aren't perfect).

I'm still young in my career path so I can't afford the suite life yet, but from what I have seen I get a real good value with a cruise vacation. I was treated with respect and everyone I interacted with made me feel welcome and were making sure I had a good time.

Completely agree! And thanks for the link to the Nassau Walking Tour.

I also think the price of a cruise is still a great value compared to what it had been in past years. I have more RC cruises, but have been on 6 different cruise lines. They are all very similar in shows, food, entertainment, ship layout, etc, etc, etc. Some cruises are better than others, I have been on 30, and have not yet had a bad one. I don't let the little problems ruin my cruise. There will always be things that happen, and it is best to go with the flo, and enjoy as much as you can.

Let the OP go on his merry way with Holland America. I am sure he will also find complaints with HAL. I for one, am very happy with our cruising experiences with RC.

People have told me for years to avoid Holland-America as parents. HAL's kids' program pales in comparison to Adventure Ocean, which is always named as the best kids' program.

Coffee? I won't touch the stuff, and my wife, who does drink coffee, despises Starbucks. It's burnt and bitter in her opinion.

But, I am disappointed that RC only offers Lipton Tea in the dining room. Really? Lipton? I gave up Lipton years ago for Twinnings, Trader Joe's, and Stash. Chain restaurants have better tea than RC.

I've always thought the food on the dining room and the Windjammer was pretty good. But, how do you know what airplane food tastes like? They don't serve airplane food in domestic coach any more, or even in first on short flights.

Let me ask you one question. Did you write RC and tell them all that was wrong with the cruise? If management never hears about problems, they won't fix anything.

I've written airlines, whenever I've had an issue. I wrote RC to explain that the jet ski excursion at CoCo Key was one of the most miserable experiences in my life (everyone was going full speed, and the instructors were yelling at us for wanting to so much slower).

We get what we pay for. HAL treats everyone well....nice toiletries, robes, good food, etc. Not to mention great happy hours and reasonable drink prices and being allowed to bring wine aboard. I love sailing with them.

We really wanted the itinerary from Singapore through the Suez Canal and on to Europe.

Cost was nearly double for HAL compared to the travel agency deal with air, hotel, and transfers we got for Legend of the Seas. The cabin alone on HAL cost more than all of the above.

If we pay less up front, we can expect to pay more onboard. I drink less on RCCL because it costs so much more....so that's a good thing, lol.

I choose according to itinerary and price and pick the line that serves my best interest overall. Sometimes it's RCCL, other times, NCL or HAL.

Whenever I read the "nickle and dime" comments, I am baffled.

I have never felt pressured to buy anything on a cruise. I don't feel that the sellers are aggresively pushing their goods on us. The extra cost items are simply there for those who want them, and are easily by-passed by those who don't.

I also find it possible to have a wonderful cruising experience without buying extra items. Instead of soda, I drink iced tea. I do not eat in specialty restaurants or select the upcharge items in the MDR, and instead satisfy myself with the included food. Etc. Our sea pass bill for a family of 4 is often under $100 total for a 7 day cruise (excluding tips and excursions).

I really don't see what the big deal is.

We've recently cruised Princess, and found them to be the same as far as upselling is concerned. Again, we simply bypass what costs more, and use the included items instead.

I have never felt "nickle and dimed" to death. All it took was a "no thank-you", and they moved along. No one chased me down and forced me to buy anything. Never felt pressured.

As far as food goes, I understand what some people find tasty and acceptable, some people don't. I have never had a bad meal on a cruise yet! I admit, I am not picky, but I do know what is acceptable (for me), and what is not. So far, so good;). I would have no problem sending something back if it was unacceptable.

I would say if someone wants upscale, then they need to cruise with a line that is known for this. Royal suites my hubby and I fine. We like the activities and shows that they provide us with. So, for us it is a good fit. But not everyone wants this type of cruise or experience. You just need to find what fits you!!!

ETA: I like the coffee. Good and strong :)

Could not have said it better.

Totally agree, we have been on the Explorer 12 times and never had a problem.

The question for we consumers is: are we going to allow RCCL to do this and ultimately make the owners even richer than they already are, or will we stand up and say "no," your profits are already more than adequate? To say that we were disappointed with our experience is an understatement. But it goes beyond that. If we as consumers allow Royal Caribbean to charge for the smaller things, pretty soon it will be everything.

It seems to me from your review that most of the things that disappointed you with the cruise had nothing to do with "nickel and diming". Yet your post title and this "summary paragraph" both focus on that. I am somewhat confused about this. I can relate to a lot of little things adding up so that you don't really enjoy your vacation - been there!! So why not just say you found the food and service lacking?

To those loyal to Royal I would only say I hope you can look at where it has gone objectively and don't take this decidedly negative review personally. If we keep taking it, we'll keep getting it. And more.

These comments are your opinion. As many of the previous replies have said, others are quite happy with Royal. I don't think you are going to get much response to your comment in red - at least not negative. I think a lot of people are quite happy to "keep taking" what Royal is offering! ;)

If you had better experiences on HAL, enjoy your cruises with them in the future. I will continue to sail with whom I choose to (if that's okay with you ;)).

Eliminate the nicle and dime stuff, just jack up the per person price!

That way, people do not have to make personal decisions on how they spend money, and just use the current mantra: "blame corporate greed"

Truly becoming a Nanny society!!!!

People have told me for years to avoid Holland-America as parents. HAL's kids' program pales in comparison to Adventure Ocean, which is always named as the best kids' program.

Coffee? I won't touch the stuff, and my wife, who does drink coffee, despises Starbucks. It's burnt and bitter in her opinion.

But, I am disappointed that RC only offers Lipton Tea in the dining room. Really? Lipton? I gave up Lipton years ago for Twinnings, Trader Joe's, and Stash. Chain restaurants have better tea than RC.

I've always thought the food on the dining room and the Windjammer was pretty good. But, how do you know what airplane food tastes like? They don't serve airplane food in domestic coach any more, or even in first on short flights.

Let me ask you one question. Did you write RC and tell them all that was wrong with the cruise? If management never hears about problems, they won't fix anything.

I've written airlines, whenever I've had an issue. I wrote RC to explain that the jet ski excursion at CoCo Key was one of the most miserable experiences in my life (everyone was going full speed, and the instructors were yelling at us for wanting to so much slower).

We dine almost exclusively in the specialties on Royal....when my wife asks for tea they always come around with the box of specialty tea's for her....she sends them back for Lipton...to each their own.

Well, not all cruise lines are for all people. I would suggest that the OP try Celebrity, but I'm not sure he'd even be happy there. :rolleyes: The one thing keeping me from trying HAL is the same thing that I have the most problems with on RC -- their policy allowing smoking on balconies. But, I can usually find an aft balcony on RC, where I don't encounter as many problems with that. And I also dislike the fact that the food in the MDR has gone downhill over the years, and RC's response was to offer steak and lobster for an additional fee. I'm hoping that their newly released MDR menu improves things. But I've never really felt "nickled & dimed" on any RC ship. If I encounter an employee offering something for sale that I don't want, a simple smile and "no thank you" is more than sufficient. For the most part, the staff and crew really do want their guests to have a great vacation, and they work very hard to make that happen. :cool:

And BTW -- this die-hard NOOTS is really looking forward to trying the Sunshine Class! :D

I have never sailed on RCL, but the OP mentioned some small quantities of food, and some poor quality of food. That is what it is, and I find it hard to argue with what the OP experienced. Granted, a suite on these mass market lines will just get you a bigger cabin, and maybe a couple of other perks, but that's it. It's not like you're in a suite on Celebrity or Cunard.

As stated above, RCI lost money in Q2 2012, and their stock price is not what it used to be. So, what do they do?

We're in a terrible economy, and mostly world-wide too. It's tough for them, real tough! Their business model is based on economy of scale, and this means huge ships with the minimal staff and quality necessary. Sadly, you order ships at one point in time and they arrive at a later point. So, you spend billions on the Oasis class, which certainly achieves the economy of scale, but you get them in service in a lousy economy with high oil prices.

Also, there IS competition out there, and they must face this also. Remember when RCI tried to buy Princess, but they lost out to Carnival?

As to the OP, I would try Celebrity, RCI's sister company. I might also try Princess or Cunard. Obviously there are other choices too, such as HAL, which the OP has enjoyed.

I don't envy the RCI team trying to turn a profit in this economy, and the Q2 loss might have also been due to the Concordia accident.

Otherwise, and nickel and diming aside, you essentially pay less for a cruise today than you did 30 years ago, and enjoy larger ships with more activities.

We cruised plenty during the 90’s and early 00’s and seen how all cruise lines have changed in many ways. Back then, fares were a lot higher than they are now. We’ve seen shows on TV about how the cruise line needs to sell at least a certain amount per person (forget the amount), during the cruise to make the cruise profitable even with a full ship, because of the low fares. Food is not what it use to be is a given, but you won’t starve. Pool wait staff will often ask you if you’d like something from the bar; it’s their job. You might be asked a couple of times before the show; it’s their job. Your picture will be taken 20 times; it’s their job. The head waiter will try to sell you a wine tasting, it’s his job (although on Princess, we did get a little pissed that after we said no thank you, he signed us up anyway, we had the charges removed). We know what the game is. We’ve sailed many lines and RCCL is no worse than NCL, Princess, CCL, or X when it comes to hawking their stuff. Seems as though the OP became a little annoyed with it. DH read this and suggests anyone bothered by this should just wear a little nametag around the ship with "No Thank You" on it.

I did a RCI cruise in May after numerous Princess cruises...and I leave this week on another, so you can tell that I was pleased! Service and food were great...no complaints. That being said, I feel that RCI nickels and dimes a bit more than I'm used to...while I agree about paying for what I use, the only things that annoyed me were:

-having to use your cruise card to get beach towels and the threat of being charged if they are not returned. Yes, I understand that they probably have some disappear but I do not like being inconvenienced to stand in line to get towels and again in a line to return them.

-having to prepay tips if you choose anytime dining. This just doesnt seem right to me...so we are doing traditional dining! I also do not like having to pay for shore excursions when they are booked, rather than paying for them with your on-board account as Princess does.

That's it...really no big deal...just my impressions!

We have been on 43 Royal cruises and I can honestly say we have never had bad service (always good and sometimes spectacular service). Have always thought the food was great - we don't eat at 5* restaurants at home either. Never have had a problem with finding good food to eat.

As far as things that cost money - it is up to me whether or not I want to pay to have that. No one has ever come up to us at dinner trying to sell bottled water or cookbooks or anything other than drinks. We don't pay to go to specialty restaurants as we think the food is fine in the diningroom.

Sorry you did not enjoy your cruise, for us, Royal offers a great price for a great cruise.

The thing that bothers me about what the Op posted is that they had to fix things themselves. Like going somewhere else to get the wrist band replaced or getting their final bill. Our experience has been that most of the staff will bend over backwards to make things right for you, whether it be the dinning room staff, the bar staff or your cabin stewart. When some of the staff go the extra distance to please you I think you could expect that type of service from all departments.

We have been on 43 Royal cruises and I can honestly say we have never had bad service (always good and sometimes spectacular service). Have always thought the food was great - we don't eat at 5* restaurants at home either. Never have had a problem with finding good food to eat.

As far as things that cost money - it is up to me whether or not I want to pay to have that. No one has ever come up to us at dinner trying to sell bottled water or cookbooks or anything other than drinks. We don't pay to go to specialty restaurants as we think the food is fine in the diningroom.

Sorry you did not enjoy your cruise, for us, Royal offers a great price for a great cruise.

I agree 100% with everything you said.

What happened to politely saying "No thank you"? I do it at the Ports to vendors all the time and will certainly do it on the ship......I have NEVER felt pressured into buying anything on a cruise ship although I certainly HAVE felt pressured to buy something in *cough*Nassau*cough and other places.

I understand the bar staffs job of selling drinks but generally a polite "No thank you" and they will not bother you again.

The only way I could understand the "nickle and dime" accusation that some like to throw around on this board is if you were actually forced to buy. I have never been forced to buy a thing on board.

As far as the food and service goes, we have been over this a thousand times. For myself, I think the food is good and the service is wonderful and really thats all that matters to me.

The thing that bothers me about what the Op posted is that they had to fix things themselves. Like going somewhere else to get the wrist band replaced or getting their final bill. Our experience has been that most of the staff will bend over backwards to make things right for you, whether it be the dinning room staff, the bar staff or your cabin stewart. When some of the staff go the extra distance to please you I think you could expect that type of service from all departments.

I thought it was sad that the OP said he was sailing in a suite, and did not avail himself of the many services provided by the Concierge. Someone in an earlier post mentioned "butler" -- but they must have been thinking about X. ;) For anyone sailing in a GS or above on RC, the Concierge can really be your "go-to" guy/gal! :cool:

Archived