Royal Caribbean - The Nickel and Dime Cruise Line

We are longtime RCI customers (C&A Em.) and we just canceled our Aug 31st trip on the Legend of the Seas. We discovered recently that the Cat E cabin we purchased was not the 193 SF as advertised on the RCI website. It is in fact only 153 SF . However when we attempted to resolve this issue with RCI, they would not step up to the plate and provide us with a comparable room in order to provide u...s with the quality of reservation that we purchased. But in fact wanted us to pay even more money to get it resolved. This is their error. Not the customer's. We will not be using RCI or any of their other cruise companies in the future.

A company needs to accept ownership of their mistakes and not ask the customer to pay MORE money to get something that they have already paid for. Bad Business practices such as this will end up hurting their business in the long run. I was always their biggest advocate in the past....but not anymore.

I'm so disappointed in RCI.....I don't feel like I can trust a company that has bad information on their sales site (false advertising?) and when they are confronted with it, tries to then get out of meeting their obligation to the customer. How could I ever trust them to do the right thing, if I were on one of their ships and something bad happened? I have lost all trust in RCI.

I believe they said there were health reasons.

I didn't see that, where is that post?:confused:

All cruises are deteriorating be it Royal Caribbean or Holland America. Cruisings' best days are over in terms of a quality product. The cruise lines are following the "airline model" to a tee.

Worldspan

132 cruises strong

I didn't see that, where is that post?:confused:

I read it too but she didn't elaborate. She posted in so many different threads, I don't remember which one I read it in.

All you have to do is say NO, really it is that simple...

I think the point is being bothered with a sales pitch when you are held captive at a table waiting for food or eating. I don't like it. I also don't like when the photographers come by making you pose during your meal.

I can say NO very simply but should you have to be interrupted???

I think the point is being bothered with a sales pitch when you are held captive at a table waiting for food or eating. I don't like it. I also don't like when the photographers come by making you pose during your meal.

I can say NO very simply but should you have to be interrupted???

I guess that we've been in a different cruise universe. We've been on some 19 RCL cruises and never been pushed into buying anything at the MDR. The first night they ask if we want bottled water and we say no--the rest of the cruise our glasses are filled with regular water. No pushing to buy lobster, steak or anything else. As a matter of fact, they have slowed the special nightly after dinner drinks pitch. What bothers us is the photograph taking at dinner, but they never pitch to buy--what a waste of material.

We usually run from photographers, but not on our last cruise. And I'm glad we did it. I got some awesome family photos!

When we are approached by the ship photographers all we say is no thanks, Witness Protection. I get some really strange looks.

I guess that we've been in a different cruise universe. We've been on some 19 RCL cruises and never been pushed into buying anything at the MDR. The first night they ask if we want bottled water and we say no--the rest of the cruise our glasses are filled with regular water. No pushing to buy lobster, steak or anything else. As a matter of fact, they have slowed the special nightly after dinner drinks pitch. What bothers us is the photograph taking at dinner, but they never pitch to buy--what a waste of material.

Slowed? I feel lucky to see the bar guy on one out seven nights. I enjoy the shooters and by the way, they recycle the paper. I agree with you that I've never felt pressured to buy anything unless it was from my wife. :D

Yes, got worse and worse. Finally gave up on them. You can also see who my favorite is. Nothing like a bit of comparison shopping.

I am really sorry to hear that about HAL, although I've read comments on the HAL board (and elsewhere) that they have deteriorated in recent years. But then, if you read comments on this thread, which line has not gone down? We've not been on HAL in 9 years and that experience back then was terrific but nothing lasts forever I suppose. Oh and you can see who our favorite has been, mostly because our kids prefer it and the price. :)

I kinda understand where your coming from after recently taking a Disney cruise. Before everyone jumps on the price difference thing we got a great rate on a huge balcony cabin with a military discount. We paid the same or less than the small RC ship in PC. They also had great rates for Florida cruisers too. We spent less than $100 on our final bill for a few drinks. We didn't take our own even though your allowed. We spent so much time in port the shops were hardly open to spend. The food was great. Shrimp and crab legs on the buffet and everything I tried were delicious. Even the desserts. Dining room food was good but not much better than RC. What shocked me was ribeye steaks at Castaway Cay at no charge. And real ice cream to make ice cream floats because the cokes were free.

I guess the difference was the shows. All Disney related but very good. I would have preferred at least one gown up show. Although the pirate show could be considered adult. But I never felt nickel and dimes on Disney. I truly wonder why RC can't do that. If they did thier ships would stay packed. Because a little Disney goes a long way,;):p

As for my family, we are taking our Royal Caribbean Platinum status and moving to Holland America permanently.

Bye! ;)

Competition is seldom a bad thing. If one cruise line is losing it's customers, it'll most likely clean up.

Good for us loyal Royals too :)

Just got back yesterday from EOS and have to agree with OP. I decided to try RCI again after a hiatus of 16 years from RCI. To be honest I was not impressed, again. So I guess after being on three cruises in three years and the two previous with Carnival I can only assume everyone is cutting back. I spend quite a bit on these cruises as I go solo and balcony. At the very least I expect decent food. Other than Portofino it just did not happen. So, I guess it might be land vacations in the future.

Just got back yesterday from EOS and have to agree with OP. I decided to try RCI again after a hiatus of 16 years from RCI. To be honest I was not impressed, again. So I guess after being on three cruises in three years and the two previous with Carnival I can only assume everyone is cutting back. I spend quite a bit on these cruises as I go solo and balcony. At the very least I expect decent food. Other than Portofino it just did not happen. So, I guess it might be land vacations in the future.

So you won't cruise anymore because of food? You must do other things besides eat

With all the food choices on EOS you found nothing to eat? Cancelling a cruise because of food seems silly to me.

I haven't read the pages of responses, so I'm sure I'm repeating others. But these discussions bother me.

We just cruised for the first time in over 10 years. We found very little difference in the experience. Nickel and diming was the same in 2002 - you already know when you get on the ship what is extra so what's the big deal? There was the same bottle of water sitting there waiting to be opened so they could charge you. So we didn't open it. Simple.

We've now cruised once on Celebrity, Princess, and Royal. There's not much difference in how they approach pricing of extras. I like it that way. I don't want to pay for something I'm not going to use. I'd rather the option of adding it on to my bill.

I am so glad that my food taste is a variety of things that include...Fast food, Mom & Pop diners, 5 star restaurants, Buffet Restaurants, little hole in the wall joints, Outback, Chili's, Applebee's, Carabba's, MDR, Windjammer, Portifino, Chops, Food Courts in the Mall, Hot dogs in the convience stores, back yard BBQ and so on! I can always find something to eat that I like, anywhere! On my cruises I haven't had anything that was just so God Awful Nasty that I just couldn't it!

Reading some of these threads sometimes make me think that there are people that come off these cruise suffering from malnutrtion! :rolleyes:

900 dollars a day to cruise, and you complain about nickels and dimes? Seems like the real problem in this case is you.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Totally agree! There is just no pleasing some people - they will always find something to complain about.

All cruises are deteriorating be it Royal Caribbean or Holland America. Cruisings' best days are over in terms of a quality product. The cruise lines are following the "airline model" to a tee.

Worldspan

132 cruises strong

What is "cruisings' best days"? How do you define a quality product? And do you know what is a quality product to me? I only had one cruise each on Royal Caribbean and Holland America, and I have no idea from what or where things have deteriorated from. You made this comment so certainly it applies to you which is fine; but to me, it means nothing.

I was able to afford a cruise vacation. I did it and I enjoyed it. That's all I can control.

Archived