new to princess (room E706/FF)

bobdyboo

Can someone tell me a little about Crown Princess? I've always cruised w/Royal & Carnival. Guess one of my questions is do they not have a breakfast, lunch, & dinner buffet? And I seen that you have to pay to go in the serenity adult only?:( If you've ever had room E706/ff how did you like it? I'm thinking I'm not going to like it cause I always get a balcony room. Any info you can give me would be great!

Thanks,

Can someone tell me a little about Crown Princess? I've always cruised w/Royal & Carnival. Guess one of my questions is do they not have a breakfast, lunch, & dinner buffet?

Princess has a buffet open from 5 AM to mid-night with (depending on time of day) Breakfast, Lunch, Snack, and Dinner. There is also the International Cafe open 24 hours a day with yummy snacks.

A dining room is always open for breakfast. It is open for lunch on embarkation day and on sea days. And the traditional and anytime dining rooms are open at dinner time.

Room service is also available 24 hours a day.

The hamburger grill, Pizza station and soft-serve ice cream stand are open from mid-morning into the evening.

All of the above food is at no extra cost except for gelato at the International Cafe.

I see that you have to pay to go in the serenity adult only?

Yes, the adults only Sanctuary does have a charge of $10/half day. However, there are plenty of lounges in other areas, both in the sun and in the shade. The further you get from being next to a pool, the easier it is to get a lounge.

Thanks, Can you tell me what is the atmosphere is like. I read it's more Country Club dress thru out the whole ship & not shorts/Jeans & a tee-shirt. (laid back)

Thanks,

The dress code during the day is very casual -- shorts, tshirts, etc.

There are no shorts permitted in the dining room at supper time but casual dress most nights - the exception being dress-up nights--usually two nights. The buffet is always available if one doesn't want to use the dining room. Shorts are permitted in all eating establishments for breakfast and lunch (and the buffet evenings). Hopefully this helps answer your question.

RE; the room: it will be outside obstructed view but very convenient to the aft elevators with easy access and your room should be quiet.

Enjoy your trip!

Unlike other cruise lines I've been on that serve breakfast until perhaps 9-9:30am and close, lunch until 2-2:30pm and close, and dinner until 8pm, the Princess buffet has a full buffet from when it opens at 5am until it closes at 11pm. This is great if you have an early tour that returns at about 2pm or want to sleep late and have a full breakfast.

The International Cafe is open 24/7 and has muffins, pastries, donuts, breakfast sandwiches, etc. in the morning, and a variety of salads (chicken Waldorf salad that's delicious as is the shrimp salad), pastries, cookies, sandwiches and a panini's.

Cabin E706 is a fully-obstructed view cabin. :( The cabin itself should be OK, relatively roomy with plenty of storage but your view is pretty much blocked. If it were me, I'd be checking the Princess website regularly to see if there are less-obstructed view cabins available in the same category. https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/crown-princess/cabins-701--731

Thanks, Can you tell me what is the atmosphere is like. I read it's more Country Club dress thru out the whole ship & not shorts/Jeans & a tee-shirt. (laid back)
Not sure where you've read this stuff but it's really off the mark. From the two things you've mentioned, I wouldn't trust anything from that source. Dinner in the dining room on non-formal nights is generally Country Club casual but you can wear nice jeans as long as they aren't torn. During the day, even in the dining room for breakfast and lunch, shorts and t-shirts are fine. Princess is very much like Royal Caribbean and Carnival when it comes to daytime wear. You must wear shoes and wear a cover-up over a bathing suit in the buffet and dining room.

Thanks guys, Pam you said something about maybe changing our room. Will they change our room even if they have already asigned me a room? I did pick the upgrade if one came open & that's what I got.

Thanks,

From my pic's & what's online. Looks like Carnival oceanview & balony rooms are larger than princess oceanview & balony. On carnival we always have a queen bed & a full size couch in the oceanview & balony room, but on the princess i dont see how that could put a full size couch in these room types.

Thanks guys, Pam you said something about maybe changing our room. Will they change our room even if they have already asigned me a room? I did pick the upgrade if one came open & that's what I got.

Thanks,

As long as there's a cabin available in the category you've booked and you like the location better, ask to be changed. There shouldn't be any charge. For my upcoming cruise, I originally booked a fully obstructed view cabin because it was the only one available. I then saw that the cabin next door was available that wasn't as obstructed and my TA moved me to that cabin. Then, I saw that a fully unobstructed cabin was available on another deck but in a higher category in a location I really liked so I paid to upgrade to it. People switch cabins around all the time. Check the link I posted to see whether a cabin is obstructed even if it's category is fully obstructed. Some of them aren't.

From my pic's & what's online. Looks like Carnival oceanview & balony rooms are larger than princess oceanview & balony. On carnival we always have a queen bed & a full size couch in the oceanview & balony room, but on the princess i dont see how that could put a full size couch in these room types.
The difference is that the closet in your cabin will be a large, open closet that is more like a dressing area. The bathroom opens up into that area, not off the hallway. The open closet runs the full width of the cabin less the hallway. It's a different use of space. You'll have a chair and a table instead of a couch.

Thanks,

If you see a cabin you would prefer in the same category you are already assigned, call Princess (if you booked directly with them) or your TA to ask to be switched. It should not be a problem.

By looking at the ship's layout for the deck you are on at Princess.com, you should be able to tell which are the fully obstructed cabins in your category and which will have a reasonable view.

When is the best time to do this, b4 finial payment (oct 15th) or after?
Keep looking daily, even today. You can look after final payment. It doesn't make any difference. If it's in the same category and available, you can switch.

that makes me feel better cause after looking at your pic I know 100% I will not like room E706. I'd call today, but it's a surprise for my husband I'll be calling princess 2mrow in hopes i can get this changed.

thanks for all your help!

that makes me feel better cause after looking at your pic I know 100% I will not like room E706. I'd call today, but it's a surprise for my husband I'll be calling princess 2mrow in hopes i can get this changed.

thanks for all your help!

Check online. Faster and easier. :) Just go as though it's a new booking, go to your category, and click. A list of available cabins will be there. Click on the deck link next to a cabin to check the location. If you see something, call Princess immediately. Don't wait. You can do all this on a smartphone as well when your DH isn't looking. :)

The site for obstructed view cabins is a great tool. You must go cabin by cabin. Each one has slightly different views or things in front. There is though a reason for being thousands cheaper than balcony or other rooms. Those of us who often choose FF category book early to get the exact cabin that we like and then watch for price reductions. If you can't get better the E706 will allow you to see daylight. see some of the shore --know if close to shore or just water-- and if they take your tender or lifeboat down you have a perfectly unobstructed view. For next time, picking one of the best of the obstructed can be a great money saver. DO NOT pick a guarantee room in this category or in the oceanview category in that you can get the big orange (middle of the tender wall), the big white (storage shed), over the stage or over the lounges that tend to be more noise. Be close to an elevator on deck 8 then when you see something go down the stairs and out the door and you have the biggest balcony on the ship.

I have had category FF for my last 5 cruises in a little over 2 years. Why so many cruises == the room cost is less in FF.

Im happy to post that I called Princess & they have changed my room to E418. Much much better than E706. Although I do like being in the back of the boat I'll take the change. I'm still near the steps & not down a long long hall way. So all in all im pretty happy. Should I be worried about the bar below me. LOL I'll take ear plugs just in case & all should be good. Any idea on my new room?

Thanks,

Im happy to post that I called Princess & they have changed my room to E418. Much much better than E706. Although I do like being in the back of the boat I'll take the change. I'm still near the steps & not down a long long hall way. So all in all im pretty happy. Should I be worried about the bar below me. LOL I'll take ear plugs just in case & all should be good. Any idea on my new room?

Thanks,

Great job! Much better. Princess cabins have excellent soundproofing, better than the other cruise lines I've been on, so chances are that you won't hear much, if anything. You're right near the mid-ship stairs/elevators and a quick ride up to the buffet or down to the International Cafe.

We have stayed in E706 or 708 (or corresponding on the other side) several times on the Golden, Emerald, Ruby and Caribbean. They're great secrets, if you ask me. While the view is obstructed, the inflatible life boat station is actually several feet from your window (8-10), so it is not right up against the window. You can still get a good view either aft or forward of the station depending on whether you're in E706 or 708. We book these cabins on port intensive cruises (the Med, for example, where you're off the ship most of time). Then, we book the Sanctuary for the entire cruise. The service is amazing, and nothing like you would get on your balcony.

I know a lot of people would prefer their own private balcony. We have done that, too, many times. But for the right itinerary, E706 / 708 / 707 / 709 can be a great value, IMO.

Essiesmom,

Do you happen to have a pic of the outside of the new room E418?

After seeing your pic & the pic looking from the inside out I'm so glad I called & got moved.

Great move.

Aren't you glad you joined Cruise Critic?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

After reading through the whole thread I'm happy to see you were able to change your cabin. I've been in a few emerald deck cabins above a bar and never, ever heard noise. Princess does a great job of sound proofing their cabins. I rarely even hear noise from the cabins next to me unless there are some really loud party people.

Archived