Kids on Seaborn

DipBrat

We have sailed with many children on different ships. Our first "luxury" sailing was on the Song of Flower from Singapore to Hong Kong and included Vietnam. We had a husband and wife (or partners) with a toddler onboard who all lived in Switzerland. In my opinion, they were an absolute delight and the toddler never created an issue that took away from our cruise.

A few years ago, we sailed on Regent with our grandchildren and their great-grandparents as well as their parents. It worked fabulously for everyone but their parents. Their parents were hoping for more of a night life.

Today, I would not take the same grandchildren on Seabourn - not because I am concerned that it is not a child friendly line, but because our youngest grandchild would not be happy in the setting. As I've stated before, every child is different and is happy/not happy in different settings. (I can make the same statement about adults.)

We attempt to teach our grandchildren tolerance and to not prejudge situations or people. From some of these posts, it would appear that some of the posters would benefit from taking a more tolerant approach.

I disregard generalized statements about young children, teenagers, the elderly, specific cultures, ethnic groups, etc. I hope that I can always be tolerant of others and be open to different ideologies, age groups .... Isn't that what travel is all about?

This war has been going on for years over at SeaDream and we were unlucky enough to be on one SeaDream cruise with 30 kids (out of 101 total passengers)!:eek: I have never met or been around such perfect kids as described above (including my own).:eek: Kids turn small ships into inescapable playpens. It is, IMHO, very uncaring of others to bring children into inappropriate venues, including small ships marketed as luxury adult experiences. It is quite obvious from posts on both boards that the ones who think their kids perfect will never be swayed by other people's opinions and will continue to do just as they please. All others be da**ed.:eek:

This thread is really wandering way off-topic. It is a bit ridiculous to say this is an adult line but one cruise was 30% kids. I get that you want it to be an adult line, but it isn't. If there was money in making a no-kids rule they would have it. That was in fact my only point about the 3 year-olds fare.

As for a decline in parenting over 30 years, I am not sure. Seems to me, based on this thread, and as long as we are throwing around baseless generalizations; it is you baby-boom retirees on this thread that seem to have a sense of entitlement and be self centered. You don't get to make the rules no matter what they charge you. That said they should enforce the rules they have, I agree there is no way you should have a baby in diapers in the pool.

This thread is really wandering way off-topic. It is a bit ridiculous to say this is an adult line but one cruise was 30% kids. I get that you want it to be an adult line, but it isn't. If there was money in making a no-kids rule they would have it. That was in fact my only point about the 3 year-olds fare.

As for a decline in parenting over 30 years, I am not sure. Seems to me, based on this thread, and as long as we are throwing around baseless generalizations; it is you baby-boom retirees on this thread that seem to have a sense of entitlement and be self centered. You don't get to make the rules no matter what they charge you. That said they should enforce the rules they have, I agree there is no way you should have a baby in diapers in the pool.

The point is .... compared to other cruise lines or other resorts, Seabourn does not offer good facilities for kids. It doesn't actually matter how well behaved the children are, they are still children and they have the right to behave like children and have fun like children. And the opportunities for them to do that on Seabourn without disturbing other passengers are far more limited than they are in other venues.

We get post after post on these boards telling us how wonderful their children/nephews/nieces/grandchildren/etc., how they are comfortable in the company of adults, how they are not interested in kids programs, how they can sit comfortably at table in the evening, etc. etc.. And for me, it is all a rationalisation designed to justify in the parent's minds why they want to go on a luxury cruise. It isn't about the kids at all.

And we are the self-centered ones?

I believe the writer was talking about SeaDream, not Seabourn in referring to 30%.

As "entitled baby boomers" we waited until our kids were older before we took them traveling in adult-oriented settings. i think our first non-beach-cottage vacation was when our younger child was about 8, and we still included lots of swimming and playground time along with museums and family friendly dining. (More likely ethnic than Michelin stars). We did take our family to the French Laundry when the younger was 15, so it's not like we don't want the kids to have experiences, but there is no way i would have taken her at age 3. (F. L. was fabulous, by the way. They would pour our daughter grape juice from the same varietals, same glass ware, as the wine the rest of us were drinking).

You asked if it was realistic to take a toddler on a cruise line that is primarily geared for adult travelers with no special provisions for children. You got some real answers. I'm sorry that you didn't like the results of your reality check.

The point is .... compared to other cruise lines or other resorts, Seabourn does not offer good facilities for kids. It doesn't actually matter how well behaved the children are, they are still children and they have the right to behave like children and have fun like children. And the opportunities for them to do that on Seabourn without disturbing other passengers are far more limited than they are in other venues.

We get post after post on these boards telling us how wonderful their children/nephews/nieces/grandchildren/etc., how they are comfortable in the company of adults, how they are not interested in kids programs, how they can sit comfortably at table in the evening, etc. etc.. And for me, it is all a rationalisation designed to justify in the parent's minds why they want to go on a luxury cruise. It isn't about the kids at all.

And we are the self-centered ones?

And also converting a "card room" into a temporary kids centre with 1 or 2 staff members does not all of sudden turn a ship into being "kid friendly".

The luxury lines don't make any particular claim to be "family friendly" because after all there are plenty of alternatives, some of which specifically cater to that market. They can't admit it but I'm pretty sure they'd prefer to exclude young children altogether but don't want to face the discrimination lawsuits from the Mommy Mafia. So they make as few concessions as possible in the hope that a realistic parent will pick another type of cruise for the time being at least. And I speak as a parent who's done the hard yards on holidays with my kids' preferences as a priority, not my own. Now they are almost grown and preparing to fly solo I can focus on doing my own thing which includes spending their inheritance on luxury cruising.

As a parent who has traveled extensively with her children, I'm looking at this from a different perspective...why would anyone want to take their 3 year old on a Seabourn cruise? Never mind the other passengers and the inconvenience you may inflict on them, think of yourselves. How much fun will it be trying to keep a toddler entertained, relatively quiet and safe on a ship that doesn't cater to young families? Do you think you can even close your eyes for 15 seconds? That's not a vacation, it's a week of being on edge.

It seems to me that you would be anxious and stressed the entire time.

If you want a nice relaxing vacation with a 3 year old, try Azul Beach in Mexico. It's perfect.

Save the Seabourn cruise for a couples only trip or for when your daughter is older. :)

First of all it is a port intensive itinerary (Singapore-Bali).

Appreciate the views of everyone; and of course I have my doubts or I wouldn't have asked. That said I can see from a lot of the advice we have a different philosophy to vacationing. In our family we both work long hours and our child already spends 50 hours a week with a nanny. When we are on vacation we want to spend the whole time with our daughter. Eating in our room together. Dressing up and having a formal dinner while on a boat. Swimming in the pool together. Exploring the ship, together. I don't mean to judge those that want a break from their kids or bring their nanny with them, I can understand that especially for stay at home moms, it's just not us.

We find it interesting that DipBrat says she wants to spend the whole time together with her daughter while on Seabourn, yet in an August 28th post she made on the Celebrity Solstice message board in reference to their children's club not allowing children under three years of age she says "Interesting and good to know as I was thinking of going alone on a Celebrity cruise myself with a 2 year old about to turn 3. Without the club would be a bit difficult".

Is that so? What happened to the "I don't mean to judge those who want a break from their kids..."?

We find it interesting that DipBrat says she wants to spend the whole time together with her daughter while on Seabourn, yet in an August 28th post she made on the Celebrity Solstice message board in reference to their children's club not allowing children under three years of age she says "Interesting and good to know as I was thinking of going alone on a Celebrity cruise myself with a 2 year old about to turn 3. Without the club would be a bit difficult".

Is that so? What happened to the "I don't mean to judge those who want a break from their kids..."?

Different cruise. On the Celebrity-cruise I would be alone with my daughter so a kids club an hour or two a day would be nice. With the whole family prefer to spend the time together.

I believe the writer was talking about SeaDream, not Seabourn in referring to 30%.

As "entitled baby boomers" we waited until our kids were older before we took them traveling in adult-oriented settings. i think our first non-beach-cottage vacation was when our younger child was about 8, and we still included lots of swimming and playground time along with museums and family friendly dining. (More likely ethnic than Michelin stars). We did take our family to the French LaundrJy when the younger was 15, so it's not like we don't want the kids to have experiences, but there is no way i would have taken her at age 3. (F. L. was fabulous, by the way. They would pour our daughter grape juice from the same varietals, same glass ware, as the wine the rest of us were drinking).

You asked if it was realistic to take a toddler on a cruise line that is primarily geared for adult travelers with no special provisions for children. You got some real answers. I'm sorry that you didn't like the results of your reality check.

Well said. And yes lots of good advice which is appreciated.

The luxury lines don't make any particular claim to be "family friendly" because after all there are plenty of alternatives, some of which specifically cater to that market. They can't admit it but I'm pretty sure they'd prefer to exclude young children altogether but don't want to face the discrimination lawsuits from the Mommy Mafia. So they make as few concessions as possible in the hope that a realistic parent will pick another type of cruise for the time being at least. And I speak as a parent who's done the hard yards on holidays with my kids' preferences as a priority, not my own. Now they are almost grown and preparing to fly solo I can focus on doing my own thing which includes spending their inheritance on luxury cruising.

Referring to the "discrimination lawsuits", I do not believe that is the problem. They can limit to adults only as do Saga Cruises, Hebridean, Certain P&O ships, and many adults only resorts, restaurants, spas, bars, etc. It is management weakness preventing the small ship lines from facing up to this issue.:eek:

Exactly right, marchanxiety. That is why there are now so many seven day cruises during the summer months, to attract the younger, still working demographic that unfortunately, comes with kids.

...and the Company is loving it because the per diem rate is much higher on these 7 day cruises and better onboard spend revenu wise as well.

It's funny but out of the thousands of posts re: children only once have I ever seen an adult come clean about the behavior of their children. I guess the other 99.9% have children that are wee angels 100% of the time:rolleyes:

I would agree that kids can have their off moments, my niece was no exception and any such 'incidents' were dealt with appropriately so as not to inconvenience others. However the same goes for adults and I have seen much inappropriate behaviour from the aged population on so called lines categorised as suitable for kids.

I agree that some parents are inconsiderate and leave their kids to 'run riot'. This is one of the reasons that the smaller ships work for us. We have never considered any of the smaller Seabourn ships nor would we consider Seadream, Windstar etc. However the newer Seabourn ships and Azamara are perfect in size and amenities for us.

As I said previously it depends on the children and parents. My niece enjoys the normal 'kid stuff' but is also perfectly happy to spend time with family doing family activities - without disturbing or hindering the enjoyment for others onboard. I agree this may not be the case for all such families. Many comments on this topic may be coming from experience and the contributors kids or parenting style would not have suited Seabourn (?)

It would be a sad development if Seabourn etc. did change their children’s policy and whilst we can we would be more than happy to cruise with Seabourn again.

Ah it's good to be back and to see that in this uncertain world some things never change. If ever you feel the world is changing come on here and post a question about bringing children on board.

The responses are hewn from granite :)

I'm almost tempted to get the Seabourn brochures out again;)

Keep smiling everyone and don't worry I will post here and give fair warning when we do eventually book......

Henry :)

Ah it's good to be back and to see that in this uncertain world some things never change. If ever you feel the world is changing come on here and post a question about bringing children on board.

The responses are hewn from granite :)

I'm almost tempted to get the Seabourn brochures out again;)

Keep smiling everyone and don't worry I will post here and give fair warning when we do eventually book......

Thanks for the heads up Henry.:D:D:D

Children on Seabourn? And did someone have the temerity to mention smoking again?

Let's put the cat among the pigeons.

I have long campaigned against smoking in the Observation Bar to no avail. It apparently is good enough for all passengers if a number smoke in this enclosed space so as to enable the few who like to indulge in the habit.

But what would Seabourn's policy be if the Observation Bar were given over to a kid's club? Do you think anyone would allow smoking there by the kiddies' supervisors? I thought not.

Apparently the disconnect about different types of passengers is one that Seabourn chooses to ignore.

Too bad.

"We are planning on taking a cruise with our 11, soon to be 12 year old daughter. As a keen smoker we are worried she will be restricted in where she can strike up. Can you confirm there are areas within the ship where she will be able to smoke and also that hand rolling tobacco is sold onboard."

:)

Would that keep things going for a while.

Loved the recent cruise review on here by baychilla. It gave a fantastic insight to a Seabourne cruise. A somewhat dry sense of humour :)

Henry.

You need to include that you prefer pipes, the 10 year old cigars and at the end of every night you hold a family hotbox session/reggae concert.

Actually we are big thrash metal fans and never leave home without our own amplification system for use in the cabin and around the pool.

I have been known to put the world to rights after dinner into the wee small hours over a cigar and a glass or two of port. I note from your review that strangely port did not feature in the inclusive drinks found on board!

Keep smiling

Archived