Kids on Seaborn

DipBrat

Many years ago when we went on family holiday's the choice of where, when etc was dictated by a simple formula

If the children were happy my wife would be happy and if they were happy then I would be happy, it worked for us for many years

There will always be parents who consider their own needs above those of their children. Bringing a three year old on Seabourn is a perfect example. All the lofty goals of spending time together, having meals together, playing in the pool together would be so much more fun for a three year old on a ship which is prepared for her needs rather than fitting the square peg into the round hole.

That is one of the most sensible comments I have ever read on cruise critic.

First of all it is a port intensive itinerary (Singapore-Bali).

Appreciate the views of everyone; and of course I have my doubts or I wouldn't have asked. That said I can see from a lot of the advice we have a different philosophy to vacationing. In our family we both work long hours and our child already spends 50 hours a week with a nanny. When we are on vacation we want to spend the whole time with our daughter. Eating in our room together. Dressing up and having a formal dinner while on a boat. Swimming in the pool together. Exploring the ship, together. I don't mean to judge those that want a break from their kids or bring their nanny with them, I can understand that especially for stay at home moms, it's just not us.

A few more specific questions: I wonder is the pool a quiet area where people are doing laps and aerobicize or could we enjoy some care free time there? What is the atmosphere like in the Collanade restaurant?

As for the Disney reccomendation and the subtext: Don't bring a kid I worked all my life so I could not have to hear a kid yell during dinner or run pass me on the deck, I respect your opinion, to a point, but bottom line is the line does allow kids (over age one I believe) so frankly maybe you should go to a couples only resort if you want to make sure there are no kids. In the end she paid her $8K fare so she deserves a bit of space too.

I think you have some misconceptions about what life aboard Seabourn may be like. The whole ship exudes refined elegance, and as such the atmosphere, while warm, is fairly formal and reserved. It is not just the pool area that is quiet. With the exception of the Collanade and the bar / lounges the whole ship is quiet. There was pretty heavy smoking on board when I traveled on the Sojourn (smoking is allowed in all cabins and many public areas). The pool is quite small with barely enough room to bob up and down. No one is doing laps. There is no entertainment for children unless they enjoy lectures about the ports or lounge singers (no kids programming on the TV).

I realize that you want to spend quality time with your child while on vacation, but wouldn't that time be better spent in an atmosphere that caters to families with young children? The Ritz Carlton has done a fantastic job with our kids on family vacations. Crystal cruises makes some attempt with children. Although we didn't bring our kids on the Sojourn, there were 16 passengers under the age of 18. It was painfully clear that Seabourn was a bad fit for children. Children are very perceptive and could easily tell that a large number of passengers were not pleased to see them. Furthermore, it can be pretty stressful to be on one's best behavior for a week.

I would reiterate what wripro said, bringing children on Seabourn is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

DipBrat, as you read through all of these posts, you will gain a good understanding of how a child will likely be viewed by other passengers on Seabourn. Although I often agree with wripro, on this topic I do not agree. As adults, we are all different, so why should we expect all children (or their upbringing/areas of interest/environment they are comfortable in/etc.) to be the same? Whatever choice you make, I wish you, and your fellow cruisers, a wonderful experience.

Quote from DipBrat in regards to 3-year-old daughter:

"In the end she paid her $8K fare so she deserves a bit of space too."

The Seabourn brochure for 2012-2013 states that a third guest in a stateroom pays 50% of the per person fare for that room. That obviously means the per person fare for her parents is double the "$8K" mentioned, or $16,000 each. Total: $40,000 for the three of them for a 10-day cruise. Why is it we can't quite believe this scenario??

The Seabourn brochure for 2012-2013 states that a third guest in a stateroom pays 50% of the per person fare for that room. That obviously means the per person fare for her parents is double the "$8K" mentioned, or $16,000 each. Total: $40,000 for the three of them for a 10-day cruise. Why is it we can't quite believe this scenario??

the same thing was on my mind as well.:eek::D

Hmm I thought i had been told by our TA that a child would be the full fare.

A week on the Legend in 2010, next door to a honeymoon couple. Did not hear a thing ( and they seemed very happy).

I think some people are over-reacting, equating a 3 year old with a 3 month old - nappy changing, crying and screaming for attention/feeding/more nappy changing.

Of course it would be unbearable if there were dozens of 3 to 10 year olds on board one of the little sisters for weeks at a time, running around, jumping in and out of the pool and jacuzzis, falling overboard, dropping plates and throwing tantrums.

On the other hand, as well as the honeymoon couple there was a family with a young girl ( say 5 yo). She was very well behaved, made no fuss at meals, and the family were landside most days, did not hog the pool or jacuzi, and was an unobtrusive delight. Whereas, last Xmas on the Legend (and please refer to SeabournTraveller's extensive blog) it was the older teenagers/20 somethings, as well as a number of the more elderly patrons who were loud, offensive, insensitive, whining, boring, drunk and lecherous.

By all means bring your child. Seabourn is an upmarket, well-mannered, largely sophisticated experience, and as long as your child can fit into that sort of ambience all will be well.

She spends most of her life in an adult world. Actually this board has given me some pause on booking this cruise. Not because she is not prepared or used to being in an adults only environment and would cause a problem, but more that she may deserve a break from that.

Hmm I thought i had been told by our TA that a child would be the full fare.

Wouldn't surprise me... I've learned to double-check anything and everything a TA says.

And BTW, kids can be noisy but you're right that adults can be noisy (and offensive) too... and they have a whole lot less excuse. However, the only really offensive behavior I've witnessed on an 'upscale' line came from (hold tight!) TAs who were onboard, enjoying cut-rate promotional fares in a cruiseline marketing program.

Thank you for putting your daughter first. The staff on board will try their best. They treat every passenger with extreme care.

But dinners can be a long drawn out affair, and I am sure you do not want to eat in the buffet everynight, or in your room/balcony.

I know it would be nice to find a balance, some cruises have a few kids on board, even if they do not mix, she would feel more welcome.

I do not have a problem seeing a 3 yr old on board, but not all people would be as welcoming, and you do not want her to feel she does not belong. And ports are very intensive, also, not always kid friendly. not sure what itenery you are looking at, and if there are kid side trips you could look into before you go.

Could I suggest a trip to France/Paris, and a side trip to Disney??

Or any major city with a kid friendly day trip.

DipBrat - Your most recent post is perhaps the most insightful one. Maybe it would be good to give your lovely little perfectly well-behaved child a chance to be a crazy little kid amongst other crazy little kids for her holiday, rather than trying to fit her into your adult holiday. Choosing a cruise because it appeals to you as an adult seeking a luxury experience is perhaps at odds with what works in the real world of kids, adults, and the rest of the passengers on a small luxury cruise ship.

A couple of years ago, we were at the Sanctuary Lodge at Machu Picchu for a couple of nights, on the second of which a young 30-something couple entered the dining room with their 5-year old daughter, who commenced to dash about the room, hiding under tables, screaming when removed therefrom, and generally rendering the dinner quite less than acceptable for everyone else in the room. Her parents, stereotypical Gen-X'ers with a rather silly sense of entitlement (even compared to us Boomers...), just smiled and remarked that their sweet little girl was "a bit high spirited", as they "negotiated" with her (i.e. "Sweetie, is it okay if Mommy & Daddy have a little bit of dinner?")

One couple next to our table, who said that they had saved for years for this "once in a lifetime" experience, were not in the slightest pleased, despite their having both grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

The next evening, on our Hiram Bingham train back from MP to Cuzco, that couple asked the "entitled" young couple why they brought their little daughter on a trip to Machu Picchu, of all places for a little child, they blithely responded that it was a destination they wanted to visit and thought that everyone else would be happy for them.

Things were a bit less blitheful the next day, when the couple was informed fairly firmly by the manager of the Monasterio Hotel that they would be respectfully ejected from the hotel if their little angel was not held in check in the magnificent breakfast room, where she had tried to topple the whole pastry display, as well as dash back into the galley area and trip up the waiters.

DipBrat - Please believe me that I am not in any sense suggesting that your daughter would be the spectacle that this little girl was. However, I am trying, however inartfully or hyperbolically, to suggest that you consider what your daughter wishes from a trip as opposed to what you wish from a trip.

On a recent Regent cruise, we had a couple of delightful little tykes in the cabin next to us, who were not the remotest bother and, in fact, were quite a pleasure (aside from the minor - okay, major!! - panic caused by their trying to climb the safety netting that Regent had spread across their balcony). They almost made it onto our balcony; but the security guys nabbed them. We weren't worried about it, as we figured they wouldn't go for our single malt scotch.

Cheers, Fred

On a recent Regent cruise, we had a couple of delightful little tykes in the cabin next to us, who were not the remotest bother and, in fact, were quite a pleasure (aside from the minor - okay, major!! - panic caused by their trying to climb the safety netting that Regent had spread across their balcony). They almost made it onto our balcony; but the security guys nabbed them.

Wow, that's horrifying! I mean, the risk to the tykes themselves.

How is it the 'security guys' happened to be there at the right time?!

Thanks all! The last thing I will say is you will find people (including some on this thread) all over these boards saying almost every line is not appropriate for children.

Yes, you are right. But this one truly is not appropriate for children.

Thanks all! The last thing I will say is you will find people (including some on this thread) all over these boards saying almost every line is not appropriate for children.

No, some of the cruise lines are extremely well set up for children. Seabourn is not.

We took our three year old grandson to Club Med at Opio in the south of France. And I have to say it was a huge success. Firstly because the children are extremely well catered for ... they even have their own restaurant. Secondly because the adults are also very well catered for with adult only swimming pools and dining areas.

Some organizations have done an outstanding job of catering to families and making sure everyone gets a great vacation.

I was on the same Pride cruise and remember well that poor little boy. I also remember the strained look at times on the parents face at times as they tried to keep him occupied in a world where there was very little to keep him entertained.

I have just come from a Crystal cruise and feel this is more the line for children as there were lots of children and they had people on board to help keep them occupied. Also the meals which were usually of a good quality also were served at a much faster pace then Seabourn's dinners. My husband and I actually missed the slower more sedate pace of Seabourn but if our children were with us know that Crystal would be more suitable.

Julie

I think the your statement should be refined to people one these boards will tell you every luxury line is not appropriate for children. I am suggesting you investigate Crystal. They have made some attempt to accommodate children. In my opinion, they are a better cruise line than Seabourn, whether you are traveling with or without children.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but having just come off a 19 day Crystal cruise, where I do agree it is a better suited line with children, it is not better without children. There were things I liked but it is the first time I have been almost totally packed the morning before disembarkation. As wripro and Keith1010 have often stated different shipping lines suit different people.

Julie

I am guilty of doing exactly what DipBrat is considering, I have taken young children on ultra-luxury cruises. When my oldest was 2 we went on Crystal. Crystal has made some effort to accommodate children and I can recommend this line if you want to cruise with children. When my boys were 1 and 4, we went on SilverSea. That was a complete disaster. Not a line for kids.

We have learned from our mistakes and now take couples vacations separate from family vacations. We cater the family vacations to the kids interests. They spend too much time trying to be little grown-ups, so the family vacations allow them to cut loose with their parents and everyone has more fun.

Judging by my recent trip,Crystal are right up there with those lines that you suggest.

Once upon a time Crystal did not have a program for children. On one of those cruises children were present and running amok. Ice fights, water fights, swapping do not disturb to please clean etc... so what if passengers got in the way of their fun? They weren't going to stop, the crew wasn't going to make them stop and their parents sure won't going to make them stop, they were on vacation.

I wonder is it still that bad with their current programs? Does Crystal do like Disney and keep the kids out of sight?

As a child I liked visiting hotels and restaurants that fit in the luxury category. I still do, but now find I have zero patience for ill behaved children (or even babies being babies - why would you subject your fellow guests to that?)

Once upon a time Crystal did not have a program for children. On one of those cruises children were present and running amok. Ice fights, water fights, swapping do not disturb to please clean etc... so what if passengers got in the way of their fun? They weren't going to stop, the crew wasn't going to make them stop and their parents sure won't going to make them stop, they were on vacation.

I wonder is it still that bad with their current programs? Does Crystal do like Disney and keep the kids out of sight?

As a child I liked visiting hotels and restaurants that fit in the luxury category. I still do, but now find I have zero patience for ill behaved children (or even babies being babies - why would you subject your fellow guests to that?)

Generally Crystal do a good job of keeping the children occupied and entertained.But there were a few children that ran around the corridors of the ship.I suppose it is only natural for kids to run and have fun.

A quick word of correction from a few adults put and end to it.:)

On our Seabourn in february, there was one still in diapers. Imagine our delight on the formal night arriving in the dining room in new bespoke tuxedo and being seated next to her and her family. She was starting to get agitated.

A quick word to the maitre d and we were out of there.

All I could imagine was a spoon thrown on the new tux. I'm not sure the parents would want the cleaning bill.

Archived