Grand Turk beach - away from Margaritaville

NCTribeFan

http://www.grandturkcc.com/userfiles/images/GrandTurk.jpg

I haven't been to GT since they rebuilt the cruiseport area. Or maybe I have but I went straight to the far end of the beach (to the left looking from the ship) from the duty free shops.

I had no idea there were now so many additional tacky tourist trap shops. ;)

I don't recall that there was much of anything if you came out and turned right. This photo shows lots of chairs along the beach (and even another pier that I don't remember being there).

Is it any more sedate down that direction? I'd prefer to be as far from Margaritaville and the noise and activity as possible. When I go to the beach, I like to relax.

If you leave the ship, go down the dock, and turn towards your right, all that you'll see is lounge chairs, trees, and sand. Go a bit further (200 yards?) and it's just sand and water.

They do force you through the terminal building/structure, but just keep on walking towards the right (south) and you'll quickly be far from the maddening crowd. Shortly you'll hit the southernmost point of Grand Turk and you can continue on as far as you want with minimal interruptions.

Thank you.

Thinking about it again, I'm sure that other pier was there and that when we did an excursion to Gibbs Cay, our tour boat left from that pier.

I've done the Horseback Ride & Swim every time I've been to GT (4 times), so I always either just exit the Duty Free shop and turn left head down the beach, or go straight to the excursion meeting point.

After my first visit when we made the mistake of going to Margaritaville, I avoid that area.

I saw that. I really don't think we'll want to go that far - just want to have chairs and be away from a lot of noise and activity that's on the other side of the pier. I had thought about walking down to Local Village bar, but I really think I'm going to want to just relax. We have a short stay this time.

But my cruise buddy may want to go snorkel. When we did the Gibbs Cay excursion, they brought the boat back to that area. I'm not a swimmer so just stayed on the beach, but I was told there was good snorkeling right there.

Anyone know if you can rent snorkel equipment without taking an excursion? Does the beach rental hut do this? I don't think my friend owns her own, and she doesn't cruise very often.

A few weeks ago someone asked about White Sands Beach, which I believe is the area to the right (if you're looking at the island from the ship) and around the point. In my reply, I added some pictures of what that beach looks like. Hope this helps.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1679879

Ok so if I go to the right of the Local Village Bar we will come to this beach??? I would love to go for the shells. BTW thanks to all for all your info I am going on my very first cruise and can't wait. Some how I have a feeling it wont be my last:D

@pghsteelerfan.........White Sands Beach is the area to the LEFT (if you're looking at the island from the ship)......it is NOT advisable to swim around 'Southwest Point' where you took your photographs. It is very choppy there!

@NCTribeFan & gborra2004.....Here on Grand Turk we use the terms Nth. Sth. East & West to describe directions.

The Grand Turk Cruise Center is located on the South West end of the island.

Heading North along the beach you will have the magnificent ocean on your West (left). The buildings will be on your East (right).

YES, you can rent snorkel gear at the 'Beach Rental' hut which is located within the Cruise Center complex. The hut is visible from the beach behind the 6 row deep of cruise center loungers which are free to use.

HEAD NORTH.

Directly next-door is White Sands Beach. (The hotels beach bar is only 5 steps from the cruise centers most Northerly loungers). There is a pool there too.

The next is Local Village Bar & Restaurant which also provides free loungers & WiFi.

Lastly (before you have to go on a road to get to Governors Beach) there is Jack's Shack beach (also with free WiFi).

There is pretty good snorkeling in front of all 3 'non cruise center' establishments.

Please explore our beautiful island a little and enjoy your visit.

Yes, thanks, I know N S E & W! I don't even need to use the compass on my smartphone! :D

It's just that most people view the island from the ship or the pier.

This will be my fifth visit to Grand Turk, and as I noted earlier, I've always done the horseback riding which is all the way at the tip (north!) of the island. If I were going to be solo this time, I'd take the tram hop-on-hop-off and just go exploring.

I'll let her know she can rent snorkel gear once we arrive. Thanks for that info!

White Sands Beach may also be a good option. Maevetherave, can you tell me more? Pool, bar, beach chairs? Blaring music or relaxing?

All 3 have chairs, bar & bar food and play their music at different levels of loudness depending on which ship is in.

Jacks Shack is probably the most relaxing and quietest of all. The music is ever only audible around the bar. If you go to their Facebook page you can even print off a coupon for a free shot of rum! The jerk chicken is to die for!

White Sands pool area is also very relaxing.

You'll be able to tell which of the 3 you prefer within the 10 min. walk up the beach. If I was you I'd give each one a quick look and then decide.

Thanks. I had originally thought I'd go hang out at Local Village before I realized there were chairs down the other direction (south!) from the pier. It's just that we're only in port until 2 pm, so we don't really have too much time to just sit and relax.

Turns out I just booked another cruise last night, and our final stop will be a full day in Grand Turk. Unfortunately, that isn't until November 2013, but at least I'll get more time there and, as a solo, I'll be out doing more exploring.

Ok so if I go to the right of the Local Village Bar we will come to this beach??? I would love to go for the shells. BTW thanks to all for all your info I am going on my very first cruise and can't wait. Some how I have a feeling it wont be my last:D

If you are looking at Grand Turk from the ship, this beach is to the right, around the "point". The conch shell "graveyard" is right before the point, in the rocky area, but there are also a lot of conch shells (nicer ones, I think) on the beach around the point. I don't know if the Local Village Bar was there when we went in 2010, so I don't know where it is located. We'd only heard about Margaritaville (crowded, expensive and long waits) and Jack's Shack (not as crowded, less expensive and more laid back) and we ended up spending the rest of the afternoon at Jack's Shack and had a great time. I'm glad the information I gave is of some help to you and I hope you have a great time on your first cruise. This was our 4th and I love it. We just don't know when we'll get a chance to cruise again but hopefully sometime soon. :) If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask and I can try to answer them as best I can.

August 30th, 2012 10:35 AM maevetherave "@pghsteelerfan.........White Sands Beach is the area to the LEFT (if you're looking at the island from the ship)......it is NOT advisable to swim around 'Southwest Point' where you took your photographs. It is very choppy there!"

@ maevetherave.......not trying to start an argument here, but I actually got my information on the location of White Sands Beach (to the right and around the "point" if looking at Grand Turk from the ship) from the map of Grand Turk provided from their island information website in which that area is clearly marked "White Sands Beach" (I'm attaching the link):

http://www.grandturkcc.com/island-information/grand-turk-island-map.aspx

When responding, I was basically trying to answer the question in the original post:

"I don't recall that there was much of anything if you came out and turned right. This photo shows lots of chairs along the beach (and even another pier that I don't remember being there). Is it any more sedate down that direction? I'd prefer to be as far from Margaritaville and the noise and activity as possible. When I go to the beach, I like to relax."

To answer the question(s), I just attached a previous thread (in which I replied to someone else who had a question about White Sands Beach and the conch shells, that included pictures) for the original poster to give them an idea of what that area is like. They didn't mention swimming or snorkeling, just relaxing on a quiet beach away from the noise and crowds of Margaritaville. If someone is looking for a beach for swimming, the beach at the cruise center/Margaritaville is perfect for that, with it getting less crowded and quieter the farther you head beyond Margaritaville.

@pghsteelerfan.........White Sands Beach is the area to the LEFT (if you're looking at the island from the ship)......it is NOT advisable to swim around 'Southwest Point' where you took your photographs. It is very choppy there!

@NCTribeFan & gborra2004.....Here on Grand Turk we use the terms Nth. Sth. East & West to describe directions.

The Grand Turk Cruise Center is located on the South West end of the island.

Heading North along the beach you will have the magnificent ocean on your West (left). The buildings will be on your East (right).

YES, you can rent snorkel gear at the 'Beach Rental' hut which is located within the Cruise Center complex. The hut is visible from the beach behind the 6 row deep of cruise center loungers which are free to use.

HEAD NORTH.

Directly next-door is White Sands Beach. (The hotels beach bar is only 5 steps from the cruise centers most Northerly loungers). There is a pool there too.

The next is Local Village Bar & Restaurant which also provides free loungers & WiFi.

Lastly (before you have to go on a road to get to Governors Beach) there is Jack's Shack beach (also with free WiFi).

There is pretty good snorkeling in front of all 3 'non cruise center' establishments.

Please explore our beautiful island a little and enjoy your visit.

Thanks so much for your help. Looking forward to visiting :D

Have an awesome day

If you are looking at Grand Turk from the ship, this beach is to the right, around the "point". The conch shell "graveyard" is right before the point, in the rocky area, but there are also a lot of conch shells (nicer ones, I think) on the beach around the point. I don't know if the Local Village Bar was there when we went in 2010, so I don't know where it is located. We'd only heard about Margaritaville (crowded, expensive and long waits) and Jack's Shack (not as crowded, less expensive and more laid back) and we ended up spending the rest of the afternoon at Jack's Shack and had a great time. I'm glad the information I gave is of some help to you and I hope you have a great time on your first cruise. This was our 4th and I love it. We just don't know when we'll get a chance to cruise again but hopefully sometime soon. :) If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask and I can try to answer them as best I can.

August 30th, 2012 10:35 AM maevetherave "@pghsteelerfan.........White Sands Beach is the area to the LEFT (if you're looking at the island from the ship)......it is NOT advisable to swim around 'Southwest Point' where you took your photographs. It is very choppy there!"

@ maevetherave.......not trying to start an argument here, but I actually got my information on the location of White Sands Beach (to the right and around the "point" if looking at Grand Turk from the ship) from the map of Grand Turk provided from their island information website in which that area is clearly marked "White Sands Beach" (I'm attaching the link):

http://www.grandturkcc.com/island-information/grand-turk-island-map.aspx

When responding, I was basically trying to answer the question in the original post:

"I don't recall that there was much of anything if you came out and turned right. This photo shows lots of chairs along the beach (and even another pier that I don't remember being there). Is it any more sedate down that direction? I'd prefer to be as far from Margaritaville and the noise and activity as possible. When I go to the beach, I like to relax."

To answer the question(s), I just attached a previous thread (in which I replied to someone else who had a question about White Sands Beach and the conch shells, that included pictures) for the original poster to give them an idea of what that area is like. They didn't mention swimming or snorkeling, just relaxing on a quiet beach away from the noise and crowds of Margaritaville. If someone is looking for a beach for swimming, the beach at the cruise center/Margaritaville is perfect for that, with it getting less crowded and quieter the farther you head beyond Margaritaville.

Thanks YOU have been extremely helpfull . I hope to venture to the beach. As I said it is my first cruise and I am open to any suggetsions for the area. Also hope to venture to the lighthouse not sure if we will take a taxi or something else. Any suggestions on that???:cool:

Just home from a quick 1-1/2 day visit with my friend up in the mountains.

I showed her the map I linked in the original post, explained what there was in both directions away from the port area, discussed whether she'd like to go into Cockburn town, and she thinks she'd prefer to just walk down to the south tip and do some shell hunting.

I'll remind her to bring water shoes.

I guess I'll have to save my island exploration until I return in November 2013.

Thanks YOU have been extremely helpfull . I hope to venture to the beach. As I said it is my first cruise and I am open to any suggetsions for the area. Also hope to venture to the lighthouse not sure if we will take a taxi or something else. Any suggestions on that???:cool:

We didn't make it to the lighthouse but I have seen posts where others have gone by taking an island tour by taxi or renting a golf cart (many posts here on the golf cart rentals). I don't know what the costs would be for either though, although I think I've seen that it's $80 for a golf cart for the day. Grand Turk is a small island, so it would definitely be possible to go to the lighthouse and other areas of Grand Turk and still get to the beach to where the shells are.

Thanks again for all your help. As I have said it will be my very first cruise so I am a little excited. My family is now calling me Ms Cruise Critic lol.

You are quite welcome. For our first cruise we didn't have cruise critic so I can really see how much help it can be. I hope you have a great time and great weather. :)

You are quite welcome. For our first cruise we didn't have cruise critic so I can really see how much help it can be. I hope you have a great time and great weather. :)

Keeping an eye on the storms out there but I am not worried it will be what it will be. :rolleyes:

Huge help-Family was trying to figure out the name of Carnival's mascot and they looked at me. Ok Ms Cruise critic whats the answer. Yup good ole Cruise critic had the answer and Ta Daaaa Aunt Gina saves the day lol.

My better half wants to know what I will do once our cruise is over. My answer research for our next one :D. We are thinking ARUBA ;)

Keeping an eye on the storms out there but I am not worried it will be what it will be. :rolleyes:

Huge help-Family was trying to figure out the name of Carnival's mascot and they looked at me. Ok Ms Cruise critic whats the answer. Yup good ole Cruise critic had the answer and Ta Daaaa Aunt Gina saves the day lol.

My better half wants to know what I will do once our cruise is over. My answer research for our next one :D. We are thinking ARUBA ;)

For our last cruise in May, 2010, I was on here quite often before hand (my first experience with Cruise Critic) and it really was a help for us to plan what to do and even gave us so many ideas we hadn't thought of. I was "addicted" for a while after our cruise (love reading reviews by others) and was finally able to answer questions others had. I'm not on as often anymore but I'm sure once we plan and book another cruise I will be. We just don't know when that will be yet. For our next one, I'd love to do the Southern Caribbean (San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten and back to San Juan). We were looking at the Southern that went to Aruba and Curacao, but I think that's an 8 day and that would be pushing it (work schedule). :)

• 4 weeks later...

We got off the ship and went to the right, past the shore excursion dock. We "shared" the beach with 4 other couples for about 45 minutes, then they left and we had the beach by ourselves. Another lady was walking towards us later and I told her this was "our private beach". We had a good laugh. There are some large rocks here, in the water near the property line of the Cruise Center. We snorkeled around these rocks and saw some nice fish. The water was shallow enough for us to stand up when we wanted. It's not like the snorkel excursion, but it was relaxing.

Archived