STATENDAM - some positive thoughts

terrascape

I have read many reviews and comments on the Statendam over the last several months regarding its age and "tired, worn out condition". We were on the Statendam in April on a Panama Canal cruise and just finished a 7 day Seward to Vancouver BC cruise this past Sunday. I'm here to tell you we could not find anything to complain about regarding the condition of the ship or the hotel staff.

A well run ship starts with the Captain, Hotel Manager and Cruise Director. Captain Consen, Bart Groenveld and Anthony Choice have a fantastic team aboard the Statendam. We were not looking for problems or signs of "old age", but rather seeing all the positive around us. With one minor exception every one of the hotel staff from wine steward to dining room stewards to room stewards took the time to interact with us (and other passengers). Four of the staff even rememberd us from the Panama Canal cruise four months earlier - and how many thousands of passengers had they met between our cruises!

Captain Consen is by far the most visable and outgoing of all the captains we have sailed with, and there have been many over the past 10 years since we resumed cruising. He is a true delight and a gentleman - and part comedian when the occasion arises.

We were invited to meet with the hotel manager, guest services manager and cruise director to discuss any concerns about the ship, staff, or HAL in general. This was a wonderful opportunity to interact and share ideas and thoughts. Yes, we gave some ideas for further improvement in some areas and they were taking notes which would be shared with the staff and office here in Seattle.

So for anyone concerned about the "old" Statendam, enjoy your cruise. You are on a very classy ship with a fantastic and hard working crew.

That's awesome! Glad to hear you had a great time!!

Okay, for some board drama could you PLEASE come up with something negative and that cannot be proven/disproven? Nothing passes the old work day as well as reading some board war!

Even if it is the old chestnuts of smoking or the dress code... please? ;)

Seriously, that is great you had such an amazing time. From how you desribed the Cap'n, Htl Mgr and CD, I bet she could be a little rough in many spots but their involvement with the passengers would've made any flaws inconsequential. Great and involved leaders really go a long way.

Derek

We could not agree with you more. We were on the Statendam In April and May of this year and found it one of the best cruises ever. We are going to be on her again in November and know we will once again enjoy the Statendam!

We are booked on the ship for 35 days....nice to know that things are up to snuff on the ship....would not want to have a bad time being on the ship for such a long time....never have been on one with so many seas days.....but really looking forward to those relaxing seas days I love so much ....and warm also....thanks

I could not agree more with what Terrascape wrote. Our experience last July from Vancover to Seward, AK was nothing short of wonderful. Very positive. Would not hesitate sailing on the Stattendam again. The one thing I really liked about the ship was the small size. You could walk the length of the ship in 5 minutes. I know because a few times we went the wrong direction to the dining room and had to turn around. Fewer passangers was also a big plus. :)

Archived