Marina deck 12 and rough seas

beaniele

Interesting question, and it had also occured to me... we are in an Oceania suite on the Riviera in January. Normally I don't mind quite rough seas and we went trans-Atlantic in a Seven Seas Aft suite on Regent's Mariner in March and had a couple of rough-ish days - the suite is right on the stern so you do feel the movement.

What consoles me is my other experience in a suite "up high" AND on a ship that is known to "rock and roll" - the Regent Navigator. Lots smaller than marina and Riviera, too. We were not really bothered at all on that one. But it's not the same ship!

Does anyone have actual experience of rough seas on either Marina or Riviera on deck 12??

210818.jpg

If you think about it, Deck 12 has to be fairly stable because they keep a huge swimming pool full of water on the same level...

Marina-0408.JPG

Stabilizers are a beautiful thing

Jim, in rough seas I believe they empty the pool..but I was on Riviera in rough seas and she rides really smooth with the stabilizers deployed..

Jancruz1

It's interesting to me that pretty much on all ships the most expensive suites are in the worst locations for seasickness, either forward, at the stern or high up. Guess the richer you are the better your ability to fight nausea.

It's interesting to me that pretty much on all ships the most expensive suites are in the worst locations for seasickness, either forward, at the stern or high up. Guess the richer you are the better your ability to fight nausea.

I guess that is the reason we do not book suites :D

I would think they would put the good suites in the middle ;)

From the Aft and Bow the views are fantastic and you can imagine yourself on the ship all by yourself. It is also very secluded and quiet with no one passing your cabin to reach the elevator or lounge.

There are a few of the newer ships on other lines with more central suites near the spas. I personally think the feeling of being secluded and the expansive views from higher floors applies to hotels, ships, and apartment buildings.

Isn't that part of what we mean when we say "making it to the top"?

Its pure physics... and yes every foot above the center of gravity of the ship at around the waterline, you go up the more motion you feel. This also applies to gowing foward or aft of the center of gravity.

Picture a teter totter.. on 2 axis. the closer to the longitudinal axis ( center line) of the ship the better. You can compound things by getting a cabin high up , and at the very edge of the ship, and far foward or aft. Roll, Pitch and Yaw will be your cabin mates....and maybe "Ralph" too. Money wont help.

"

That dear friends is a ship.

You can't change it, just understand it. As my physics professor once said, " Just because you don't understand physics, dosent mean it wont kill you"

I picj a cabin for the ride, low and in the center

If you think about it, Deck 12 has to be fairly stable because they keep a huge swimming pool full of water on the same level...

Stabilizers are a beautiful thing

Of course this is an older ship on a different line, but your post reminded me of the video we took on HAL's Westerdam this March - the pool in rough seas. And to be honest, there were some sea swells but it wasn't intolerable in terms of roughness. But it didn't seem to take much to get the pool really splashing about. Now I see the point of so much overflow area outside the pool itself.

This is the Lido Pool on Deck 9 mid/forward. The alarm you hear about 1/2 way through was because they were closing the roof above the pool deck. It was a little rainy and a lot windy, and they were trying to set up some kind of chocolate tower display alongside the pool.

My big bitch about all the cruiseliners is the location of the better Suites.

DP was a photographer in the Navy and he said that all Phot Labs use to be

at the pivot point for Roll ,Yaw and Pitch due to the chemical processes

they used way back then. :p ie down low and in the center.

Unfortunately J&S The Pools are where they are for the Sun not stability.

Reminds me a bit about why 1st , Business and Cattle Class are where they are.

Common folklore is its about the noise , but it is in actual fact about CFIT .

The rich and connected get to see the Big Fella first :o. Class warfare again :p

CFIT

As Hawaiidan so aptly put it, the laws of physics are the laws of physics. Yes there will be more motion on Deck 12 than on decks closer to the Center of Motion (the pivot point referred to by Hawaiidan). Does that small amount of extra motion make a difference for you? Only you can say.

As for the old "low and in the center," that has taken on a somewhat changed meaning. In days of old when men were men, and ships didn't have monstrous superstructures, that phrase meant somewhere amidships (in both directions) and on a deck somewhere below the weather deck (the main deck more or less). Today the Center of Motion is somewhat higher, though it takes a naval architect to figure it all out. Suffice it to say, that it is a bit higher than it used to be, and it will vary from ship to ship.

DW and I enjoy some motion, and have enjoyed a bow-facing cabin on Regatta, and will enjoy a forward cabin on Deck 11 on Riviera. For others, the amount of motion is bothersome, and they prefer the amidships locations. Is the amount of difference a factor? It might not be noticeable in light seas, but in heavier seas it will be a factor for some.

An example of the differences in location for different people - the cabin crawl on our Marina TA included cabins from the lowest cabin deck through deck 10. By the time we were on deck 9, several folks were indicating they did not feel well and dropped out of the tour. We were forward on deck 10 and experienced no problems during the entire trip.

Therefore, go with what you know works for you. If you've experienced queasiness on upper public decks, you should probably reserve a lower, mid-ship cabin. If not, get the best cabin you can afford and enjoy it!

Either way, have a wonderful cruise.

Therefore, go with what you know works for you. If you've experienced queasiness on upper public decks, you should probably reserve a lower, mid-ship cabin. If not, get the best cabin you can afford and enjoy it!

Either way, have a wonderful cruise.

Then there is another point rather than get the best cabin you can afford my goal is to get the cabin which will allow me the longer cruise.

If for the same money, you can get a Veranda for 36 days, by going with an inside you can cruise for 56 days,.

. Thus I have gone from penthouse with butler to insides inorder to have the longest possible experience.

Archived