What to do before boarding?

chaswill

We land in Barcelona and should be through Spanish customs by 10:30 am. We can't board the ship until 1:00 pm. Is it worth trying to take a taxi into Barcelona for a quick tour or should we just go to the terminal and get in line to board?:confused: Oh yeah...we land on a Sunday so most everything will probably be closed.:( What would you do?

We land in Barcelona and should be through Spanish customs by 10:30 am. We can't board the ship until 1:00 pm. Is it worth trying to take a taxi into Barcelona for a quick tour or should we just go to the terminal and get in line to board?:confused: Oh yeah...we land on a Sunday so most everything will probably be closed.:( What would you do?

If it were me, I'd go directly to the ship, get my luggage checked through, check in and get my stateroom keys, and then go back out and get on the Hop on, Hop Off bus for a few hours.

HoHoBus.jpg

When you return to the Port, you'll be able to walk directly onto the ship, and directly to your cabin.

The buffet stays open until 4.

I would go drop the luggage then go off sightseeing either walk or get the HOHO

I doubt whether you will be able to sign in at that time so just check the bags in & off you go

Be sure to be back 2 hrs prior to all aboard time so you can check in etc...

Don't waste time sitting in the port area... go enjoy

If you want to DIY, you can take a taxi directly from the airport to the port, check in your luggage, and then have your driver drop you off at the Columbus Monument. You can catch the HOHO bus there for a quick tour of the city or walk up La Rambla and just people watch. We spent a week in Barcelona in 2010 before catching a transatlantic cruise and it is a beautiful, not to be missed city.

I doubt whether you will be able to sign in at that time so just check the bags in & off you go

Not sure what you mean by that, Lyn, he's leaving the Airport at 10:30AM and his normal boarding time is 1pm, of course he will be able to check in. :confused:

Not sure what you mean by that, Lyn, he's leaving the Airport at 10:30AM and his normal boarding time is 1pm, of course he will be able to check in. :confused:

Sometimes you have to wait until the time to board to sign in if you are not in a priority cabin

We had to sit in the terminal in Amsterdam until 3pm until boarding began & you checked in at the same time

That was the only time that we had arrived early to the port

it was around noon

It was too hot to wander around outside so sitting in the A/c was preferable

We now arrive after 2pm when you usually can check in & board right away depending on the passenger load

Not all ports/boarding are created equal

Just saying why waste time lining up to check in if you can be out & about until the lines go down

It is of course a personal choice ;)

Lyn

There are two HoHO bus routes to choose from. Both go to the major sites so just pick what you want to see that then choose which route goes there. There are maps at the stops.

Also watch out for pick pockets there - they are everywhere and prey of tourists.

Allan

If you want to DIY, you can take a taxi directly from the airport to the port, check in your luggage, and then have your driver drop you off at the Columbus Monument. You can catch the HOHO bus there for a quick tour of the city or walk up La Rambla and just people watch. We spent a week in Barcelona in 2010 before catching a transatlantic cruise and it is a beautiful, not to be missed city.

Barcelona is a beautiful city. Las Ramblas is wonderful, and if you have a chance check out some of Gaudi's architectural masterpieces. "La Pedrera" & Casa Batila. It will change your view of architects & architecture forever!

It is not to be missed.....

BUT BE CAREFUL. :eek:

Speaking from personal experience - make sure your money and passports are well secured. Las Ramblas, is notorious for EXPERT pickpockets and scammers. They work in groups. Don't let anyone approach you or get close to you, and stay together.

Jim and Stan are right. Get rid of your luggage, get your keys and take the bus. It's a wonderful trip and you'll get to see the highlights of Barcelona. Last time we were docked in Barcelona (July this year) the bus stopped right near the embarkation area. Couldn't be more than 50 steps away.

Beware of pickpockets in Barcelona, if you get off the bus. (It's a hop on, hop off bus, so another bus is 10 to 15 minutes behind yours).

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Better than wasting time, get picked up at the airport by a private car and have a tour . I really like Barcelonadaytours.com and have used them numerous times. You can arrange a short tour even 3 hours.;)

They will take you to see the sites, your luggage is safe in their van and at end of tour they will drop you at the ship.

On Sunday all the tourist spots will be open. And you will have time to see the most beautiful city!

Better than wasting time, get picked up at the airport by a private car and have a tour . I really like Barcelonadaytours.com and have used them numerous times. You can arrange a short tour even 3 hours.;)

They will take you to see the sites, your luggage is safe in their van and at end of tour they will drop you at the ship.

On Sunday all the tourist spots will be open. And you will have time to see the most beautiful city!

I agree, when we disembarked in BCN we had time to kill before we could check into hotel. We used Barcelonadaytours for a leisurely tour of the city, picking out sites we wanted to revisit. Very professional and comfortable.

I agree with Claudia..it is a waste of time to go to the ship check in and then go out again..getting a driver may cost more but you start your tour from the airport can have a lovely lunch on Las Ramblas and get to the ship at 4pm..have a whole day tour!!

Jancruz1

There is a regular transfer bus from the airport that will drop you off at the north end of las Ramblas if you want to save a few bucks on the taxi. The port is more or less at the south end of las ramblas. Its like a mile walk and there is a subway that runs up and down it if you like the bus from the airport drops you at the east edge of a large plaza and the subway and las ramblas enterence is on the SW edge of that plaza. Depending on where you are docked, it can be a bit of a hike in and out of the port. I'd probably take the bus in, cab to the ship and drop your bags. At that point you know if you want to cab back out to las ramblas/the ho ho stops or if you think you can walk it. Grab the ho ho. See la segrada familia if you can spare the time. I'd actually grab the subway to it over the ho-ho bus if you are short on time. You'll want a couple hours and grab the audio tour.

Archived