Princess Volcano

Kenosha Cruiser

Since I don't eat a lot of fish dishes, I often order the spaghetti and meatballs off the kid's menu. Another favorite from the kid's menu is the garden salad when we tire of the salads on the normal DR menu. On month long cruises, you sometimes want a little variety and the salads seem to repeat oft times.

I order the volcano for dessert once during a month long cruise. My waist line can't take any more than that! But it's sooo good!

One young man at our table on the Grand Princess ordered it with my suggestion, since I've seen write up on it on CC. It was huge, and his whole family shared it, we all had a good laugh. I wonder how many other goodies are on the children's menu that us adults don't know about??::p

I often order the spaghetti of the childrens menu .. Delicious !! :)

Srpilo

I ordered a volcano while on our Alaskan cruise a few years ago after reading about them on CC. One of our friends kind of dared me to order it, when the waiter asked about dessert, I replied, "do you have the volcano"? to which he replied with a smile, "yes, on the children's menu", I asked if that meant that I could not have one and he smiled and said no it would be right out. My wife and I shared it with another couple, and enjoyed every bite, I'm planning on getting one in 40 days when we sail again :).

Scott

I really apprecaiate CC for sharing about the kids menu. I am definitely interested in the spaghetti and meatballs and the Volcano. I plan to try them in October on our next cruise.

Why would you settle for spaghetti and meatballs when there's all those other better dishes to select from?

Why would you settle for spaghetti and meatballs when there's all those other better dishes to select from?

Haven't yet ordered from the Princess kid's menu, but maybe, just maybe not everything on the adult menu appeals to every passenger. We sailed on Island in June, and it was a chore to find something tolerable for my husband to enjoy eating. We had to indulge in pizza at Northern Lights in Skagway, because the pizza aboard was so bad.

I like many dishes that Princess serves. However seeing the same menu over several cruises, appreciate any and all options. And the Spaghetti and Meatballs is GOOD. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

I like many dishes that Princess serves. However seeing the same menu over several cruises, appreciate any and all options. And the Spaghetti and Meatballs is GOOD. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Not knocking it because it's bad but there are so many other items that are much much better to eat that to me it's inconceivable that anyone would choose it. Almost akin to people eating hot dogs :confused: around the pool right outside the doors to the Horizon where they're serving real food.

From reading this thread, it's pretty clear that princess could save

a lot of money by eliminating those 'better dishes'.

There are plenty of people who are apparently satisfied with very

simple, inexpensive things.

Maybe I can be employee of the month for suggesting this.

Not knocking it because it's bad but there are so many other items that are much much better to eat that to me it's inconceivable that anyone would choose it. Almost akin to people eating hot dogs :confused: around the pool right outside the doors to the Horizon where they're serving real food.

Wow. Sorry you guys have to rub elbow with the plebeians.;)

It makes me laugh when I see things like polenta on the menu & people think it's something special and exotic. :D:D

Wow, pretty judgemental, would'nt you say, with food being so subjective to each persons tastes and pallets...

Just Curious.. Is it really inconceivable to you ??.. Really ?

Srpilo

Wow, pretty judgemental, would'nt you say, with food being so subjective to each persons tastes and pallets...

Just Curious.. Is it really inconceivable to you ??.. Really ?

Srpilo

Really ! Why eat junk food & inexpensive items on a cruise ship when you're surrounded by so many better options?

Well, if you read the posts here...

People don't want to dress for dinner.

They want to smuggle on their own alcohol, and bring it to the dining room.

They love the $0.25 hostess cupcake with a candle in the dining room

for their birthday.

They like the spaghitti and meatballs from the kids menu,

and the beloved volcano!

The job of princess management is to maximize shareholder

value. Clearly their customers want dining like hometown buffet.

Management has an obligation to shareholders to not spend

any more on food than necessary.

Well, if you read the posts here...

People don't want to dress for dinner.

They want to smuggle on their own alcohol, and bring it to the dining room.

They love the $0.25 hostess cupcake with a candle in the dining room

for their birthday.

They like the spaghitti and meatballs from the kids menu,

and the beloved volcano!

The job of princess management is to maximize shareholder

value. Clearly their customers want dining like hometown buffet.

Management has an obligation to shareholders to not spend

any more on food than necessary.

That's the objective of all cruise lines. Keep the people filled up eating bread, rolls, hot dogs, pizza, whipped ice cream and any other bulk cheap food so they're not hungry in the dining room. ;)

Really ! Why eat junk food & inexpensive items on a cruise ship when you're surrounded by so many better options?

Because you're on vacation and sometimes it's fun to eat junk food. Food is not the most important part of a cruise to some. Food is food. Sometimes I don't even bother going to the MDR for the majority of the cruise.

Because you're on vacation and sometimes it's fun to eat junk food. Food is not the most important part of a cruise to some. Food is food. Sometimes I don't even bother going to the MDR for the majority of the cruise.

They must certainly love people like you. Real cheap to feed. ;)

They must certainly love people like you. Real cheap to feed. ;)

Boomer, those passengers who sail often and for extended periods of time (a month, let's say) tire of the same menus over and over. If we can eat some spaghetti and meatballs once during a month long cruise, it helps with the boredom. And some of us don't like fish which is a common theme each night. I also don't eat escargot or frog legs. Instead of a steak or prime rib, a few meatballs sometimes sounds good. And occasionally we're just too full to eat large meals every night. All good reasons to eat a little "common" food!

Indulge us, please...:)

That's the objective of all cruise lines. Keep the people filled up eating bread, rolls, hot dogs, pizza, whipped ice cream and any other bulk cheap food so they're not hungry in the dining room. ;)

We don't spend a lot of time on cruises worried about getting the maximum dollar value of food each day. We eat what we want. Sometimes it's the cheap stuff, sometimes (especially with the stilton, blue and parmesan cheeses) it's the pricey stuff.

We were posting recently on our roll call about Princess deserts and how good they were. One lady mentioned her husband ordered a "Princess Volcano" off the children's menu, it's a super banana split with 3 scoops of ice cream, 1 banana, marshmellows, chocolate syrup, whipped cream, nuts and a few other things. She said it was so big, that it's hard for one person to eat. I'm gonna have to try this on the Emerald Princess in Nov. Has anyone else tried this and what do they think? I'm also wondering if anyone has a picture of it to post? Yummy Yummy:)

Cheers - Ken

Thanks for posting this, I will have to try it without the whipped cream and marsh mellows.:p;):D I wonder if they will bring a half order, it does seem like a lot.

Edited by C Cruise Dude
add more

We go on cruises to enjoy ourselves and try new food that we may not try otherwise. We are not there only for the food, as much as the experience, chatting with the wait staff, meeting new tablemates, etc. Did I try the volcano?, yes it was good and shared by three other people that would not have gotten it otherwise. If we decide to try the spaghetti and meatballs from the kids menu, maybe it's because it was the best option to us. Plus there is nothing wrong with acting like a kid at times.:) Just because you get older doesn't mean you have to grow up.

As far as dressing for dinner, I am easy going and don't get too fired up about it, I do agree people should dress nicely, no cutoffs, t-shirts swimsuits and the like. My wife and I don't care much for the whole formal night deal, I don't wear suits or tuxes on any kind of regular basis, and I don't want to do it on vacation. That being said, I will bring nice pants, a dress shirt and a tie for the formal nights. I do wish they would have the formal night dinner in one of the dining rooms for the people that don't wish to dress up.

Scott

It makes me laugh when I see things like polenta on the menu & people think it's something special and exotic. :D:D

Yes, like when people RAVE about the pastry at the International Cafe. Hello?? It's the exact same stuff they have at the Horizon Court. (I have personally gotten items from the Cafe, brought them up to the Court to compare.) Presentation is everything. Put a dry danish behind a glass at the "International Cafe", with a guy in a chef's outfit, and it is to die for. Have the same danish at the Horizon Court and it is a stale piece of bread. ;)

I've had the Volcano. It is a banana split with a fancy name. Unless some of you are really really small eaters, it is not that big. :confused: 1/2 banana, 3 small scoops of ice cream, chocolate sauce, whipped cream and sprinkles.

We don't try to maximize our food dollar by eating the most expensive items. We eat what we feel like having. Some nights I'm happy to order room service and get a club sandwich. Sometimes the MDR, depending on what they are serving. I have no complaints with the Horizon Court. I personally love German night, which I have never seen in the MDR. If you haven't had a hot dog from the Grill. Don't knock it. They are surprisingly yummy! :D

I agree, if you cruise alot the MDR menu can get pretty tiresome. If you cruise once every couple of years, yeah, I can see it would be more of an attraction. :)

Edited by SiBreeze