Experience with Greenhouse Spa Hydro Pool?

kcscrapper

We are considering a spa package at the Greenhouse Spa - the hydro pool and thermal suites

In light of posts on the poor condition of the Zuiderdam (and others saying it is just fine), and in light of the ship coming out of a cosmetic drydock, does anyone have experience, words of wisdom, recommendations pro/con to share?:)

Personally, I enjoy the hydo pool and thermal suites on the Vista and Signature Class ships; I feel they are worth the money. On the other Classes, however, the pool is nothing more than a hot tub in a more secluded area. Not worth the extra cost, again, in my opinion.

While we do enjoy the Hrydo spa, it really depends on the cruise you are on. We did two cruises this year - one with a port almost every day, and one with no ports (long story).

Anyway, when you have alot of ports, we did not feel the Hydro Spa was worth the money, as we were just too busy to use it. On the no ports cruise it was a fantastic experience.

SOmething to consider.

DaveOKC

Thanks, DaveOKC -- that is actually something we did consider ... but just reverse of what you said. We have a port intensive cruise (11 day Panama Canal Sunfarer) with activities already scheduled -- some heavy, some light -- and thought the pool and thermal suites would be a good way to relax and rejuvenate. We aren't big MDR people and have little plan to spend a couple of hours in the dining room!

Thanks, DaveOKC -- that is actually something we did consider ... but just reverse of what you said. We have a port intensive cruise (11 day Panama Canal Sunfarer) with activities already scheduled -- some heavy, some light -- and thought the pool and thermal suites would be a good way to relax and rejuvenate. We aren't big MDR people and have little plan to spend a couple of hours in the dining room!

I have found after returning to the ship from touring on shore, an hour or so in the hydro pool and the thermal suites most relaxing and pleasant. Helps the body rejuvinate itself, at least for me.

That is one of the reasons I prefer second seating dinner. I ought to have my hour or so in the pool and thermal suites and still have time for Happy Hour before enjoying dinner.

I purchased a one day pass on the zuiderdam and used it three times in a day. It was open until 10 pm. I loved the ceramic loungers and steam room and thoroughly enjoyed the hydro pool. It was $40 for the day or $60 for two people. Embarkation day they were selling packages for $150 unlimited or $250 for two.

For those who know, the metal circle area in the middle of the pool had a floor with small holes in it. Are these jets? Because if they are, they were not working. If they are not jets, what is that circular area for? It seems as if you could stand there and hold on to the circular rail with a few others. Anyways, if they were jets, it didn't change my opinion that I really enjoyed it and wished I'd purchased a week long pass.

I've booked the hydro/lounger package on several of the Vista/Signature ships, and love, Love LOVE them. The pool is so refreshing, followed by the relaxing loungers. I remember coming out of there feeling like limp spaghetti. It was marvelous!

Now, on the S- or R-class ships---you can keep it.

For those who know, the metal circle area in the middle of the pool had a floor with small holes in it. Are these jets? Because if they are, they were not working. .

The description talks about "strong jets to soothe sore muscles" -- so if those were the "jets", not working is not good!

When was this cruise?

Speaks well to book after the spa tour -- ask them to turn on the jets!!!

There were plenty of jets working- the ones behind the bench were fabulous, the ones all over the sides of the walls were great and there were two strong "shower" jets that were wonderful. My question was only about the purpose of the circular section in the middle. You can see it in the pictures and I wondered if there were supposed to be "bubbles" that came up from the floor in that area. And like I mentioned, even if that part was not working, I didn't miss it.

My cruise ended this morning (8/1/2012).

My question was only about the purpose of the circular section in the middle. You can see it in the pictures and I wondered if there were supposed to be "bubbles" that came up from the floor in that area.

Yes, the center, encircled area is supposed to be an area of especially strong jets. If they weren't on you missed a little something, but not the best part, imo.

There were plenty of jets working- the ones behind the bench were fabulous, the ones all over the sides of the walls were great and there were two strong "shower" jets that were wonderful. My question was only about the purpose of the circular section in the middle. You can see it in the pictures and I wondered if there were supposed to be "bubbles" that came up from the floor in that area. And like I mentioned, even if that part was not working, I didn't miss it.

My cruise ended this morning (8/1/2012).

What pictures are you talking about? Can you post them here, please. :)

I have found after returning to the ship from touring on shore, an hour or so in the hydro pool and the thermal suites most relaxing and pleasant. Helps the body rejuvinate itself, at least for me.

That is one of the reasons I prefer second seating dinner. I ought to have my hour or so in the pool and thermal suites and still have time for Happy Hour before enjoying dinner.

we did the Zuiderdam sunfarer to Panama in March and loved the thermal suite onboard...as the above poster said it is a great way to relax after a busy itinerary and 2nd seating is the way to go... We have just found out that the Zaandam does not have a large thermal pool,:mad: which disappoints us as we look forward to our 14 day from San Diego to Hawaii in March.

Ann

The description talks about "strong jets to soothe sore muscles" -- so if those were the "jets", not working is not good!

When was this cruise?

Speaks well to book after the spa tour -- ask them to turn on the jets!!!

They were not working when we boarded in March, we were reimbursed a portion of the cost and it was repaired by the 2nd day... We were not sure if it was because it was too "bubbly" for some folks.

Personally, I enjoy the hydo pool and thermal suites on the Vista and Signature Class ships; I feel they are worth the money. On the other Classes, however, the pool is nothing more than a hot tub in a more secluded area. Not worth the extra cost, again, in my opinion.

Ditto on this. On the Vista's, the extra cost was well worth it to me. I didn't like the set up on the Maasdam. The ship was absolutely amazing in every other way and I would happily cruise on her anytime but not buy the thermal suite package.

Also, I always buy my pass when I first get on the ship. They have never been sold out before I boarded and the price online is always higher. I think you possibly can get the difference refunded once onboard.... thought I read that on here somewhere but I don't know for certain.

For those who know, the metal circle area in the middle of the pool had a floor with small holes in it. Are these jets? Because if they are, they were not working. If they are not jets, what is that circular area for? It seems as if you could stand there and hold on to the circular rail with a few others. Anyways, if they were jets, it didn't change my opinion that I really enjoyed it and wished I'd purchased a week long pass.

On the Oosterdam (so I think it would be the same on all Vista class ships) right before you enter the water, there's a timer (15-20 minutes?) that turns on the sets/showers. I love the thermal suite! :)

I did see the two buttons and pressed them, but they didn't seem to turn anything on. Oh well, now I know for my next cruise! Still loved my experience and would do it agin in a heartbeat, but I'll know to ask for a discount if I don't see bubbles in the centre.

On the Oosterdam (so I think it would be the same on all Vista class ships) right before you enter the water, there's a timer (15-20 minutes?) that turns on the sets/showers. I love the thermal suite! :)

Funny story on the Oosterdam and the timer:

I was in the Hydro pool by myself and in comes an attendent followed by a lady, to whom she was giving instructions. The spa was running a "special" that day that included one hour in the hydro pool and obviously this lady was doing that.

The lady, looking a bit confused, enters the hydro pool and makes her way to the metal "lounge chairs" section. She just gets herself settled in when the jets timer went off. I start to get up from my "lounge chair" to reset the timer, and the lady turns to me and asks "what does that mean (the jets going off)?"

I quickly responded " it means that our hour is over and we have to get out of the pool so that the next group can come in!" Needless to say, she was not very happy! I quickly told her that I was just kidding as I was afraid she was going to have a stroke!

To me it was pretty funny, but I do have a warped sense of humor....

DaveOKC

Archived