Oceania - booking bad taste

JanineM

On Thursday I spoke to a rep at Oceania to inquire about a cruise for late November. Although I explained that I would need to confirm that I could sail at that time, the rep strongly encouraged me to go ahead and book, leaving the deposit, assuring me that I would be able to cancel with a full refund by September 2nd.

It turns out that I'm not able to take the time off from work so I called today - September 1st - to cancel. I was advised me that because I booked within 90 days of sailing I am not eligible to have the deposit refunded. What???

We would like to try Oceania, but this has left a bitter taste in my mouth. Anyone with experience with this cruiseline have any hints/tips for us? If they hold my deposit would we be able to apply it to another cruise in the future?

TIA

On Thursday I spoke to a rep at Oceania to inquire about a cruise for late November. Although I explained that I would need to confirm that I could sail at that time, the rep strongly encouraged me to go ahead and book, leaving the deposit, assuring me that I would be able to cancel with a full refund by September 2nd.

It turns out that I'm not able to take the time off from work so I called today - September 1st - to cancel. I was advised me that because I booked within 90 days of sailing I am not eligible to have the deposit refunded. What???

We would like to try Oceania, but this has left a bitter taste in my mouth. Anyone with experience with this cruiseline have any hints/tips for us? If they hold my deposit would we be able to apply it to another cruise in the future?

TIA

Something isnt right..do you have the name of the rep and the confirmation number??

Jancruz1

do call and ask for a supervisor,,,or put it in dispute with credit card.

I always use a TA(internet one or other) to deal with these problems.

Advise that you plan to use "social media" like Facebook,twitter,,cc..etc.(read this helps in National Geographic Traveler mag) to complain about problem unless solved.

Ive never had poor service ,,but always did work with TA,,not Oceania directly,

Don t let this drop and GoodLuck...:(

do call and ask for a supervisor,,,or put it in dispute with credit card.

I always use a TA(internet one or other) to deal with these problems.

Advise that you plan to use "social media" like Facebook,twitter,,cc..etc.(read this helps in National Geographic Traveler mag) to complain about problem unless solved.

Ive never had poor service ,,but always did work with TA,,not Oceania directly,

Don t let this drop and GoodLuck...:(

and let us know how it turns out please

I don't think it would be wise to start with a threat. But if I were you, I would call right away, ask to speak to the manager, and explain the situation...in particular, the assurance you were given by the rep that you could cancel with a refund by Sept 2.

Try to solve it as suggested by others.

If you have no success, open a dispute via your credit card. They have the horsepower to make things happen.

You can also check with any State consumer protections that you may have. Attorney General, etc.

Last...next time find a good TA who will work in your behalf.

and let us know how it turns out please

I know we are both on the same cruise in November,I notice that one week after the balance is due they have started to reduce the price and offer incentives,This will leave a bad taste in my mouth as well!!!

I know we are both on the same cruise in November,I notice that one week after the balance is due they have started to reduce the price and offer incentives,This will leave a bad taste in my mouth as well!!!

Can you ask your TA to see if you can get the new pricing??

maybe it is for new bookings only though

Good Luck

lyn

Can you ask your TA to see if you can get the new pricing??

maybe it is for new bookings only though

Good Luck

lyn

I have been back to travel agent and they refered my request to Oceania, My first reply was a flat NO, i am still trying as I feel this is sharp practice, and if they were to give me at least an on board credit that they are offering. It would cost them very little as it would be an on board spend which they are earning well out of.

I have been back to travel agent and they refered my request to Oceania, My first reply was a flat NO, i am still trying as I feel this is sharp practice, and if they were to give me at least an on board credit that they are offering. It would cost them very little as it would be an on board spend which they are earning well out of.

happen on both Seabourn and SeaDream,,,and my TA immediately gave me the lower price...no mention of calling cruiseline,,,I had sent check to him and the company refunded me the difference( for Seaborn $2,ooo for 2,,,SeaDream less.

Ask your TA why he can t do that? Maybe I got really lucky>??:confused:

hi rogerb

i booked directly with oceania. i asked about price drops after final payment and was told each request would be looked at individually! am cruising in november too,but mine hasnt been reduced yet. i keep checking. so dont give up on yours!

angelina46

I know that there is the ability to go online and check to see what happens to the price of a cruise or airfare you purchased....I don't.

I don't like to overspend, but if I find something I feel is a "good value" - a subjective term for sure - I buy it and don't look back.

So when we cruise together in November, please don't tell me how much my cruise fare went down after final payment :).

Wait - on second thought - yes, i want to hear :)

Archived