Nieuw Amsterdam showroom seating

MrSpit

Just booked a cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam for the western Caribbean this December. It's been 3 years since our last HAL cruise and will be the first time on Nieuw Amsterdam.

I noticed that the showroom has been completely changed and now has "theater seating". My wife and I are both plus-sized people. We used to love the "love seat" couches in the showroom. I'm worried that we will find the new seating very uncomfortable as it doesn't appear the arm-rests go up like they do in modern movie theaters.

Can anybody comment on the real size of these seats? Are they as narrow as "normal" theater seats, or are they wider? Are there any other special seats in the showroom for larger people?

On the floor, the most of seats are love seat style, but there are solo seats as well. I am having having a little memory problem, but think on the lower deck, most of the sloped seats are also love seat style. Seems to me upper deck is also, but can't recall for sure.

If you look here at the photos of the seating in the show room, I think you will be surprised at their size:) http://abqreunion2008.com/Nieuw_Amsterdam/Show-Lounge.html Look particularly at: http://abqreunion2008.com/Nieuw_Amsterdam/SaS-IRL_Joanie-7.jpg which appear to be Love Seat sized:) Even the regular seating looks to be more than adequate to fit a Plus sized person: http://abqreunion2008.com/Nieuw_Amsterdam/eroller_SaS-4.jpg

Joanie

Sorry, KK, but don't think your pics are current. I definitely remember love seats on the floor level. We sat in them regularly. In fact, if you look at you last pic, one of the seats there is more than a standard seat.

Your pics also don't show the tables that the floor level seats have for drinks or whatever. This was on our cruise last December.

In fact, if you look at you last pic, one of the seats there is more than a standard seat.
Are you sure that's not just a camera-angle distortion? In the 3rd pic none of the row-end seats look oversized. (I don't recall myself. For our 12 days we always sat in the balcony.)

I know on the Nieuw Amsterdam there were rows that had double size seats at the end. I thought it was romantic but my husband pointed out that they should be left for guests who may need more room. Always the practical one :rolleyes:

142.JPG

141.JPG

Are you sure that's not just a camera-angle distortion? In the 3rd pic none of the row-end seats look oversized. (I don't recall myself. For our 12 days we always sat in the balcony.)

John, if you look at these two pictures KK posted, you'll see a larger seat on the aisle, next to the lowest stair. The second picture shows a close-up.

However, if two people, sitting together, each need the larger seat, they are going to be out of luck. I don't recall two larger seats together on any of the ships that have them.

John, if you look at these two pictures KK posted, you'll see a larger seat on the aisle, next to the lowest stair. The second picture shows a close-up.
Yes, it was the close-up picture that I was talking about possibly being camera distortion. I didn't see the one in the shadow near the stair. It appears to me that there's no seat next to that one.

Sorry, KK, but don't think your pics are current. I definitely remember love seats on the floor level. We sat in them regularly. In fact, if you look at you last pic, one of the seats there is more than a standard seat.

Your pics also don't show the tables that the floor level seats have for drinks or whatever. This was on our cruise last December.

Could be she has had a refit in the show lounge since we were on her.

My pictures were taken in 2010.

The picture does show the seat right at the aisle distorted -- there aren't any that wide.

Thanks for posting all of the great pictures! Looks like we'll be fine since we don't need 2 extra-wide seats together, just one (I still fit in normal seats snugly).

I'd be surprised if HAL actually removed these extra-large seats. Scattering them here and there seems just like how they would handle this, so we'll just need to get to the show early. Then again, we always had to get there early to get good seats in the past, so no big change.

I'll report back after the cruise in December to let people know what we found on the real ship, but I'm feeling much better and wife is less stressed!

CruiseCritic is the best!

Archived